The Plan seems to be clear seemingly

shabazz

Reaction score
At least Romo balled in 2014 in his last 2 playoff games. Dak gets worse and worse.
That's true.....I'm just trying not to trigger the "Annointed Ones" personal fans and get the message through.

No sense kicking a man when he's down. The proof is in.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Every other good - great team in the nfl knows how to work the salary cap system to their advantage (see what Rams did to win a Super Bowl while continuing to be relevant). Only here in Dallas do we see such ineptness with handling the cap.

I expect a big drop off in wins this season and next and …
If it happens, I aint gonna lose any sleep over it, but dam its going to suck in 2025 eating $40 million in dead cap for a player not on the team.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If they are ready to move on Dak, make that trade for fields and ask Dak if he wants to go to another team. Otherwise have an open competition between qbs. What they are doing now has zero advantage. We're flushing another year down the drain for no reason. You may have been able to get SOME compensation for Dak, but we're essentially letting another year go by and then he walks.
I agree, if they dont plan on extending Dak then they have royally screwed the pooch here.

shabazz

Reaction score
This is what I expect will happen from the majority when Dak gets extended...

:muttley:

You are 100% right....it will be the majority , by a mile.

But kudos to you and the other fans that still believe in him....not a dam thing wrong with that.

If I could, I would buy y'all a pendent of St Jude, the patron Saint of lost causes.

The last thing I want in this forum is for everybody to agree on things.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm all for this strategy but wouldn't this strategy be better if they draft a 1st/2nd round QB this year? Not wait for next year. Not wait for the dredges to become available in FA next year.

If they are letting Dak play out his contract and aren't wanting to resign him, shouldn't they start now on finding a replacement?

If they are leaving the door open to resign him, again, don't they want leverage to keep his contract down, drafting a decent QB, + Lance, will help do that.

If they are leaving the door open to resign him after this season, and he has a good season stats wise but no SB... He's still going to be very expensive and not worth it.
actually that would make sense. but we are talking about Jerry jones where nothing makes sense.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the plan/strategy is clear. Cowboys aren't redoing Dak's contract and will roll into the season with the 55M cap hit (it was 59, but they just redid it for 4M), which obviously limits our FA flexibility. If they wanted to have Dak long term then they would have redone his contract, open up cap space and sign a few FAs. Further, they are walking away from some of the older cowboys ala Tyron and not willing to give Biadasz a contract extension. Further signal that they are walking away in 2025. Otherwise both would have been resigned.

So Given their cap space limitations they can't be big player in FA (stating the obvious). All this to minimize Dak's future dead cap hit. We probably will roll into 2025 with Lance, but not sure how we can do that, since they haven't picked up his 5th year option. if Lance walks away in 2025, that trade would be the absolute worst trade ever made by the cowboys. utter stupidity.

I am sure some will scream the large contract is the cause, we been saying this for years.....scream, scream...etc. but lets not forget this is the same for all large QB contracts. the first three years the contract was not too bad with 17, 19 and 26M. we had 10M on the cap in 2023, and 20M in 2022. we just chose not to spend or redo other contracts at the time to pull money into the year. . if they wanted to keep Dak, they would redo the contract and that 55M would easily drop to 20M. We knew this year was coming, and either extend or walk away. Every team is going to deal with this exact situation. every team has to deal with same exact situation. make a decision on keeping or letting walk.

so cowboys have to take the bitter pill. deal with the cap. walk away.

with the improvements Eagles, Washington and Giants made, next year will be tough. Fingers will point to the same person. the question is what's the plan for 2025?.

I also wonder if this is somehow Johnson's doing as an advisor being involved (as he said). perhaps a soft rebuild. the big question is finding the right QB. this could be easy (with a little luck) or a rough road ahead (see New England).
Joey Galloway? Roy Williams? Morris Claiborne?

Not sure it even makes the top 5!!!! Maybe not the top 10!!!

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
This is the rebuild. At this point, letting Dak and McCarthy walk seems like a foregone conclusion. If Dak was going to get paid, he would've been by now. We're going to start over at HC and QB in 2025.

The real question is, what do we do with Parsons and Lamb? Do we let those dudes walk and really blow it up?

Sandyf

Reaction score
Trying to look back over last 5 to 8 years to see if we can find some sort of pattern. Jerry wants the Cowboys relevelant so that is #1. He always wants to make a big deal of what they do especially if he can somehow make it looks like everything will be great.

So the we have Slater saying stay tuned because something big is going to happen. Usually Slater is pretty much on target especially with Jerry. Then you have Steven saying today/yesterday that they are going to get Dak, Ceedee, and Micah extend before the season starts.

If true (and who knows) then it wouldn't be to much of a surprise if Jerry and Steven get all 3 with extensions done along with a trade or two and then announce them the same day. Typically Jerry doing what he does best. If done correctly then they could also save on the cap this year and next.

Going to have to wait and see.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
If they are ready to move on Dak, make that trade for fields and ask Dak if he wants to go to another team. Otherwise have an open competition between qbs. What they are doing now has zero advantage. We're flushing another year down the drain for no reason. You may have been able to get SOME compensation for Dak, but we're essentially letting another year go by and then he walks.
So? We’re gonna waste a year with him or without him. It’s time!

plymkr

Reaction score
that's jerry for you. trade a 4th round pick to get Lance. make him 3rd stringer. then give him 5M for 2024 and not opt for the 5th year option.

awesome GM
Jerry is a bad GM. Completely agree there but Lance is not the best example of this. Uncle Fish did a story on Cowboys SI that Lance will be declined his 5th year option for 20+ million but they are going to resign him for future years for less money. He cited the Jordon Love situation as a guide and the plan.

Now take this with a grain of salt because Uncle Fish is an enabler, or at least a company man. But the plan is to keep Lance around as the backup. I kind of believe it because who would sign him if he doesn’t play this season? That would be 2 full seasons of sitting out. He might as well stay with us for 3-6 million and wait it out till Dak retires or sustains a bad injury.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
I'm all for this strategy but wouldn't this strategy be better if they draft a 1st/2nd round QB this year? Not wait for next year. Not wait for the dredges to become available in FA next year.

If they are letting Dak play out his contract and aren't wanting to resign him, shouldn't they start now on finding a replacement?

If they are leaving the door open to resign him, again, don't they want leverage to keep his contract down, drafting a decent QB, + Lance, will help do that.

If they are leaving the door open to resign him after this season, and he has a good season stats wise but no SB... He's still going to be very expensive and not worth it.
Spencer Rattler SC

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I

I don’t understand your confusion. Teams get lucky is my whole point. Romo and Dak was some of the luckiest moves the Cowboys ever made.
Well I never said teams didn’t get lucky. My point was you have a plan and just praying and hoping isn’t a plan. Chiefs get lucky with Mahomes? Sure. But they made their own luck with a plan.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Well I never said teams didn’t get lucky. My point was you have a plan and just praying and hoping isn’t a plan. Chiefs get lucky with Mahomes? Sure. But they made their own luck with a plan.
what about the team that beat us in the playoffs - that went Jordan Love over a HOF QB - Dak can't even come close to holding Rodgers jock strap and they did just fine to me and beat us in the playoffs with our so called experience leadership driven veteran QB

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Kudos finally someone else is calling out how stupid that Lance trade was due to the contract/5th year option part. Not to mention he most likely sucks

Yeah, that trade is looking very, very questionable considering that 4th round pick probably represents a starter for us this year with all the holes we got.

And if Lance is the backup to Dak, that means we are paying Rush to be 3rd string?

What is Rush making, like $2.5 million this year?

We will be like the only team in the entire league paying their 3rd string QB almost $3 million, that is just absurd.

Dallas has like over $60 million committed to QBs this year between Dak, Lance, and Rush, that is far and away the most in the entire league, just total mismanagement from top to bottom.