The playcalling is so much better right now

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This just isn't true. Unless you think Linehan suddenly learned play calling or something.

I agree, he had megatron and used him so it is not as if Linehan has no experience using top WR. However part of it falls to the WR to make the plays and get separation.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Dooms.....I don't like Garrett. Not one bit and that dislike is because of what I've seen from him as a coach.

I'm also glad you're judging Garrett for what he's done "the past two weeks." It'll take a bit more than that to get me to change my opinion.

I'm not judging him on the past 2 week. I have no issue coming down on any player or coach but I also have no issue giving a player or coach credit either. After 2013 season I was one who would have fired Garrett after the season. Jerry stayed with him and this team played hard and won games making it to post season. Last year no excuses was a disaster Romo is down, Dez is out and our backup QB situation looked poor and defense could not create a turnover to save their life. Now this season they are once again showing the same hard working and fight that we saw in 2014.

Dodger12

Reaction score
So tell me with 2:09 left before halftime and no time outs was Dallas just to run the ball instead of going into the 2 min drill? You may think that is poor play calling I don't. I expect the team in that 2 min situation and decent field position to march the ball down field and try to get points in the game especially with GB getting the kick off to open the 2nd half.

Please stop. You're smarter than this. You have to run the clock down and at least force GB to burn a TO or two. You just don't give Rodgers the ball back with just under two minutes. We took virtually no time off the clock.

It's OK to like the HC and still admit when something was questionable. I thought Dak had a great game yesterday and he made some bad throws. It happens.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This just isn't true. Unless you think Linehan suddenly learned play calling or something.

Coaches are naturally stubborn and a lot of times to a fault.

I'm sure they knew how to take advantage of cheating defenses and they stubbornly chose not to.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Please stop. You're smarter than this. You have to run the clock down and at least force GB to burn a TO or two. You just don't give Rodgers the ball back with just under two minutes. We took virtually no time off the clock.

It's OK to like the HC and still admit when something was questionable. I thought Dak had a great game yesterday and he made some bad throws. It happens.

No with 2:09 and good field position you use the 2 min drill and you try to put points on the board not go into a shell. I would agree if we were in a hole down by our own goal line to play it safe but starting the drive at the 38 I think you open it up and try to put points on the board.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Coaches are naturally stubborn and a lot of times to a fault.

I'm sure they knew how to take advantage of cheating defenses and they stubbornly chose not to.
It's funny how the argument always shifts.

Before when Romo would shift to a pass when defense load the box and something bad happened people would say JUST RUN REGARDLESS.

Before if the team would run into a stuffed box people would say STOP BEING STUBBORN.

In reality we have always done both things. When it works...great play calling. When it doesn't....terrible playcalling. Human nature for folks like you to say these type of things.

Tommy

Reaction score
For the last few years he has been talking about how terrible our scheme is and the only reason we ever have any success is because Romo keeps bailing us out.

Now this same scheme is dominating with a 4th round rookie at QB. He had to come up with something.

So apparently after some 15 years of coaching in the NFL Scott Linehan has finally learned how to prepare for his opponents. And also Garrett must be staying completely out of the way.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's funny how the argument always shifts.

Before when Romo would shift to a pass when defense load the box and something bad happened people would say JUST RUN REGARDLESS.

Before if the team would run into a stuffed box people would say STOP BEING STUBBORN.

In reality we have always done both things. When it works...great play calling. When it doesn't....terrible playcalling. Human nature for folks like you to say these type of things.

I agree. The 3rd and 1 pass to Whitehead people said was great yet had GB covered him or he drops the pass those same people would be hollering why we did not run it after all 3rd and 1 and Zeke is running the ball great.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
For the last few years he has been talking about how terrible our scheme is and the only reason we ever have any success is because Romo keeps bailing us out.

Now this same scheme is dominating with a 4th round rookie at QB. He had to come up with something.

So apparently after some 15 years of coaching in the NFL Scott Linehan has finally learned how to prepare for his opponents. And also Garrett must be staying completely out of the way.
The mental gymnastics of people to preserve a false narrative is always pretty amazing.

Scott Linehan...a man trying to stay gainfully employed....suddenly decided to do the obvious whereas before he was too stubborn to do so. It only took 15 years as a professional for him to learn what @CATCH17 knew at birth.

khiladi

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Dooms.....I don't like Garrett. Not one bit and that dislike is because of what I've seen from him as a coach.

I'm also glad you're judging Garrett for what he's done "the past two weeks." It'll take a bit more than that to get me to change my opinion.

At least he's cussing at refs now and getting even redder than his ginger hair, as opposed to clapping all the time..

khiladi

Reaction score
What are people talking about with Linehan, other than proving he's light years better than Garrett and the fault has been Garrett as a horrible play-caller.

Our offense is still Coryell, aka scheme We run a lot more different passing routes now, including targeting WRs on short run routes. That's not a check down, but attacking the shorter field and the middle because teams have been dropping in deep man against us since forever and ceded the middle.

Reggie Bush was a thousand yard receiver and rusher with Linehan out of Detroit. We are basically lining Zeke out on the flank at time, like he did with Bush. That never happened with Garett.

During the Garrett years, we bottom of the league in play-action and they had Tony stand in the pocket like Brady and never called plays with moving the pocket. That started as soon as Linehan got here and they did it all the time with Stafford. Now we consistently run play-action.

Jerry Jones said it specifically when he brought in Linehan the issue was play-calling. The criticism of Garrett has always been he sucks as play-calling.

Last edited:

Dodger12

Reaction score
No with 2:09 and good field position you use the 2 min drill and you try to put points on the board not go into a shell. I would agree if we were in a hole down by our own goal line to play it safe but starting the drive at the 38 I think you open it up and try to put points on the board.

Who said anything about going into a shell? You've got the 2 minute warning and you're close to the 40 yard line. There's plenty of time on the clock and your whole playbook is open. It's 10 to 6 Dallas at that point. The LAST thing you do is give the ball back to Rodgers with a chance to take the lead before the end of the half, grab the momentum and get the ball to start the second half. This really shouldn't even be an argument.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Who said anything about going into a shell? You've got the 2 minute warning and you're close to the 40 yard line. There's plenty of time on the clock and your whole playbook is open. It's 10 to 6 Dallas at that point. The LAST thing you do is give the ball back to Rodgers with a chance to take the lead before the end of the half, grab the momentum and get the ball to start the second half. This really shouldn't even be an argument.

I don't give a damn about GB might get the ball back, the object is too move the ball down the field and put up points with good field position and 2:09 remaining with no timeouts that is what Dallas did. Last thing you want to do is play scared. 10-6 is not that big of a lead and with GB getting the kickoff to open the 2nd half trying to move the ball down field and put points on the board is the right thing to do. As it turned out GB did get the ball but did they score? NO and yet the Cowboys did. Your right this should not even be an argument

Dodger12

Reaction score
I don't give a damn about GB might get the ball back, the object is too move the ball down the field and put up points with good field position and 2:09 remaining with no timeouts that is what Dallas did. Last thing you want to do is play scared. 10-6 is not that big of a lead and with GB getting the kickoff to open the 2nd half trying to move the ball down field and put points on the board is the right thing to do. As it turned out GB did get the ball but did they score? NO and yet the Cowboys did. Your right this should not even be an argument

Well, that's not what they did. They gave the ball back to GB with just under 2 minutes left and all 3 of their TO's. Whatever rocks your boat. It was stupid but we were fortunate enough to score with 30 seconds.

Reactions: BAT

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Well, that's not what they did. They gave the ball back to GB with just under 2 minutes left and all 3 of their TO's. Whatever rocks your boat. It was stupid but we were fortunate enough to score with 30 seconds.

In your view, Dallas was not going to sit on the ball they had no timeout and with good field position was trying to move the ball down the field. Yes GB got the ball back so fricken what, did they score? No they didn't. We were fortunate to score? I don't see it that way I see a team who moved the ball down the field and earned 7 points. You may think that is stupid fine with me but most teams are not going to play keep away with 2:09 remaining before halftime they will be trying to work the ball down field to score points going into halftime

Dodger12

Reaction score
In your view, Dallas was not going to sit on the ball they had no timeout and with good field position was trying to move the ball down the field. Yes GB got the ball back so fricken what, did they score? No they didn't. We were fortunate to score? I don't see it that way I see a team who moved the ball down the field and earned 7 points. You may think that is stupid fine with me but most teams are not going to play keep away with 2:09 remaining before halftime they will be trying to work the ball down field to score points going into halftime

OK Dooms. You act like that hasn't bitten us before in the past (teams scoring before the end of the half). And, if I'm not mistaken, it's happened during the playoffs as well (Giants?). So the fact that they didn't score and we did makes it the right move in your book. We'll agree to disagree.

Teams absolutely play keep away to end the half and make the oposing team burn it's time outs if necessary. They don't give the ball back. Our whole play book was open from that part of the field. We just see it differently.

Reactions: BAT

Doomsday101

Reaction score
OK Dooms. You act like that hasn't bitten us before in the past (teams scoring before the end of the half). And, if I'm not mistaken, it's happened during the playoffs as well (Giants?). So the fact that they didn't score and we did makes it the right move in your book. We'll agree to disagree.

Teams absolutely play keep away to end the half and make the oposing team burn it's time outs if necessary. They don't give the ball back. Our whole play book was open from that part of the field. We just see it differently.

Dallas was trying to put points on the board given the field position it was not a mistake. It was not poor clock management. Had the ball been inside the 20 I would say play it more conservative but once you get out and with good field position you bet I want them attacking not playing keep away.

Tommy

Reaction score
Dallas was trying to put points on the board given the field position it was not a mistake. It was not poor clock management. Had the ball been inside the 20 I would say play it more conservative but once you get out and with good field position you bet I want them attacking not playing keep away.
I do not understand this argument at all. The Cowboys were playing to put points on the board as they should have. With 2:09 on the clock and the field position they had with a 10-6 lead your objective is to score points. As all other 31 teams in the NFL would do.