The playcalling is so much better right now

Dodger12

Reaction score
I like Garrett as a players coach and an administrator. And he is best when he stays out of the way on game day.

That being said, give me another guy.

Folks shouldn't forget the terrible playcalling to finish out the first half. We literally took only 15 seconds or so off the clock and gave the ball back to Rodgers with plenty of time (just under 2 minutes) to get back in the game. Kudos to the D for stepping up and kudos to Dak and company who saved Garrett's *** by scoring with 33 (?) seconds on the clock.

And we could have put the game away at one point when we had first and goal from the 5 in the second half but had to settle for a FG when we worked out of the shotgun on 3 straight plays. What I liked yesterday was Dak making some plays down field on playaction later in the game. There's very little threat of that from the shotgun.

Dak and Zeke are having not only legitimate ROY seasons, but Zeke is having an MVP type season. Put that together with a D that's playing above it's head and this is the result. But I'm not going to kid myself into thinking that Garrett didn't try real hard to let GB right back in this game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'll credit whoever you want me to credit for the offense right now. I'm just pleased it's not the same old bland boring vanilla football and we are taking advantage of defenses cheating and they have to respect our ability to make plays off of the run game that they want to sell out on.

Now when Dez gets back and if they solve the mystery of getting him the football we are going to be unstoppable.

Run game, Beasley, and Dez should be epic the rest of the year.

Part of the mystery on Dez is him running sharper routs others are managing to do so. Dallas will put him in the slot at time and they put him on the outside. Coaches can't run the routs for him and Dez is not going to blow past anyone so he will need to do a better job of separating. Hell Witten only has a handful of routs yet manages to get himself open.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Folks shouldn't forget the terrible playcalling to finish out the first half. We literally took only 15 seconds or so off the clock and gave the ball back to Rodgers with plenty of time (just under 2 minutes) to get back in the game. Kudos to the D for stepping up and kudos to Dak and company who saved Garrett's *** by scoring with 33 (?) seconds on the clock.

And we could have put the game away at one point when we had first and goal from the 5 in the second half but had to settle for a FG when we worked out of the shotgun on 3 straight plays. What I liked yesterday was Dak making some plays down field on playaction later in the game. There's very little threat of that from the shotgun.

Dak and Zeke are having not only legitimate ROY seasons, but Zeke is having an MVP type season. Put that together with a D that's playing above it's head and this is the result. But I'm not going to kid myself into thinking that Garrett didn't try real hard to let GB right back in this game.

So it was Garrett poor playcalling that gave the ball back but it was not the play calling when they scored right before halftime? OK So I take it Dak saving Garrett butt that it was Dak calling the plays on that last drive of the 1st half?

Dodger12

Reaction score
So it was Garrett poor playcalling that gave the ball back but it was not the play calling when they scored right before halftime? OK So I take it Dak saving Garrett butt that it was Dak calling the plays on that last drive of the 1st half?

So I take it you agree with the play calling around the 2 minute mark?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm really not sure what people think it is they are calling differently that is so much better. Gameplans are different.

Main two things are the option plays they have built around the rollout and the jet sweep. The 4WR sets that were Romo's staple on third down are gone. Id on't think Dak has evolved to consistently run those but Romo was tremendous on third down two years ago. Witten still runs his option route. Beasley has gotten better getting downfield but that is not a play call thing.

All those middle isos and off tackle zones are still there. The pitch is still there. The stretch and counter game is gone but those plays are where we used to get our biggest gains particularly the counter.

For the most part though they are calling the same types of plays in the same types of situations. The gameplan itself has changed with the option plays and running attack, which is as simple as ever, but the main difference is our guys are executing a heck of a lot better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Let's not make it personal. And let's not sidetrack the thread. You know what I think of your opinions and why. I responded to Dooms to give him my $.02 re: what happens if somebody takes an argument like that seriously. It's really better to just walk around them than it is to step in them.

You make it personal with the insults. You do it all the time. Just like you did again. So I will respond in kind. Your record for accuracy and football knowledge continues it's horrific trend.

Maybe you can lecture me again on how winning is all about passing the ball. We dominate in the run game 2 out of the last 3 years and the results speak for themselves. Chalk up your entire theory on football right out the window.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Yes, people complain about not taking enough shots down field. But the ball control passing game is working well in different ways. When you go for it and fail its 2 and 10.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You make it personal with the insults. You do it all the time. Just like you did again. So I will respond in kind. Your record for accuracy and football knowledge continues it's horrific trend.

Maybe you can lecture me again on how winning is all about passing the ball. We dominate in the run game 2 out of the last 3 years and the results speak for themselves. Chalk up your entire theory on football right out the window.

Don't have the energy for your 'debates' today, Roy. Keep on doin' you as long as you keep it on the right side of the forum guidelines, and everything should work out. Enjoy the big win.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's going to be so interesting to see what they do.

I can't see them letting all that money sit on the sideline.

How about we put it like this?

If Linehan wasnt here and Garrett was still the OC and calling the plays what do you think our record would be right now with the injuries and a rookie QB?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don't have the energy for your 'debates' today, Roy. Keep on doin' you as long as you keep it on the right side of the forum guidelines, and everything should work out. Enjoy the big win.

Ah, now that works much better for me. No snobby insults and a little sugar.

Peace!!!

haleyrules

Reaction score
lol. Playing calling is easy with a RB that can not be stopped supported by the best OL in the NFL.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm really not sure what people think it is they are calling differently that is so much better. Gameplans are different.

Main two things are the option plays they have built around the rollout and the jet sweep. The 4WR sets that were Romo's staple on third down are gone. Id on't think Dak has evolved to consistently run those but Romo was tremendous on third down two years ago. Witten still runs his option route. Beasley has gotten better getthe ting downfield but that is not a play call thing.

All those middle isos and off tackle zones are still there. The pitch is still there. The stretch and counter game is gone but those plays are where we used to get our biggest gains particularly the counter.

For the most part though they are calling the same types of plays in the same types of situations. The gameplan itself has changed with the option plays and running attack, which is as simple as ever, but the main difference is our guys are executing a heck of a lot better.

So many differences its hard to talk about all of them. The way they are using beasley is night and day. After the Giants loss they finally started moving Dez all over the place after 7 years of watching Garrett put him on an island. The screen game is being used more. Rub routes. roll outs, options plays, ect....ect......

But more than all this is making the right calls at the right times. Setting people up. Just read "decoding Linehan" every week. Its amazing how this guy is setting up opponents several weeks in advance.

But certainly the execution is better.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So I take it you agree with the play calling around the 2 minute mark?

I don't agree with 100% of anything, are there calls made that you question? sure. I also give credit to the opposing team. As I mentioned if Dak saved their butts does this mean he was calling the plays on the last drive of the 1st half? There will always be calls where fans will question but when your offense is avg 26 points a game and puts up 28 vs Cinn and then 30 vs GB I think it is a bit much for people to be acting as if the coaches have nothing to do with it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
lol. Playing calling is easy with a RB that can not be stopped supported by the best OL in the NFL.

Sure it is and that is why if Dallas can maintain a balanced attack which is part of their overall goal it will keep the Cowboys in manageable down and distance.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The NFL is all about the players. Always was, always will be.

Who do you think is a better OC Garrett or Linehan? Which one would you rather have calling plays and making the game plans?