The playcalling is so much better right now

khiladi

Reaction score
Folks shouldn't forget the terrible playcalling to finish out the first half. We literally took only 15 seconds or so off the clock and gave the ball back to Rodgers with plenty of time (just under 2 minutes) to get back in the game. Kudos to the D for stepping up and kudos to Dak and company who saved Garrett's *** by scoring with 33 (?) seconds on the clock.

And we could have put the game away at one point when we had first and goal from the 5 in the second half but had to settle for a FG when we worked out of the shotgun on 3 straight plays. What I liked yesterday was Dak making some plays down field on playaction later in the game. There's very little threat of that from the shotgun.

Dak and Zeke are having not only legitimate ROY seasons, but Zeke is having an MVP type season. Put that together with a D that's playing above it's head and this is the result. But I'm not going to kid myself into thinking that Garrett didn't try real hard to let GB right back in this game.

Our defense is playing better because our offense is scoring every time it's in the red-zone. Teams now know they got to press. Our offense looks better than any offense that is fielded on the floor our defense lines up against.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So many differences its hard to talk about all of them. The way they are using beasley is night and day. After the Giants loss they finally started moving Dez all over the place after 7 years of watching Garrett put him on an island. The screen game is being used more. Rub routes. roll outs, options plays, ect....ect......

But more than all this is making the right calls at the right times. Setting people up. Just read "decoding Linehan" every week. Its amazing how this guy is setting up opponents several weeks in advance.

But certainly the execution is better.

and yet Dez numbers were very good in those 7 years, good enough to be considered a top 5 WR and getting a big paycheck along the way. Since the paycheck he has not managed to play much at all.

khiladi

Reaction score
We started Kellen Moore last year way after Garrett went out and got Cassel, after his bum Weeden looked lost. Moore himself, in the game planning, was doing a lot more by design than either the other two. Moore was a Linehan guy. Beasley was actually better the last half of the season last year and was awful the first half, when Cassel and Weeden were in. We are clearly different, not only in the amount of play-action we run, but with Zeke lining up on the outside multiple times.

That being said, to emphasize once again, with Romo coming back, this will technically be his second year in a Linehan offense. 2013 was effectively the year from which they started the move away from Garrett and Romo started to get involved in game-planning. Linehan come in 2014 and Romo had a record year in his first year with Linehan. Last year he was injured early, but our OL also was hurt with Martin and they played awul the first two games. They also looked pretty average the beginning of this season, particularly run-blocking and Free absolutely sucked. They've definitely settled into their groove with Leary back as well.

We will see how it goes now...

Finally...

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
In summation:

When we are winning playcalling generally good.

When we are losing playcalling generally bad.

In reality: When your players are playing at a high level playcalling is easy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
In summation:

Not at all.

Just because Dez Bryant can go up and get a football doesn't mean the playcalling is good.

Dallas is playing the chess side of football now which they have absolutely ignored in the past.

People like you would normally be making excuses about not having Tony, Dez, Scandrick, and Tyron but yet we are throwing the ball to wide open WR's and the defense is clueless as to which direction we are going when we run these plays.

There is a difference. If you don't notice it then that is on you.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett is still a turd!!;)

There's a few kernels of corn in that turd, haley. Maybe even a peanut.

Sell Jason Garrett short at your own risk. Before you know it, he's in your nightmares. Just clapping and missing high fives with that face that matches his hair. Pretty soon, you can't even remember a time when you didn't love him.

The greatest trick Jason Garrett ever played was convincing the world he could not coach.

Dodger12

Reaction score
I don't agree with 100% of anything, are there calls made that you question? sure. I also give credit to the opposing team. As I mentioned if Dak saved their butts does this mean he was calling the plays on the last drive of the 1st half? There will always be calls where fans will question but when your offense is avg 26 points a game and puts up 28 vs Cinn and then 30 vs GB I think it is a bit much for people to be acting as if the coaches have nothing to do with it.

Clock management continues to be an issue for Garrett and the NFL is too competitive to allow opponents unecessary opportunites. It was another gaffe(s) and just wasn't necessary. Yes, Dak saved Garrett's *** with 30 seconds. At that point, you throw with very little to lose even if GB gets the ball back in their territory. You play the odds.

We're winning AND it looks like we've found the next franchise QB. It's all good but I know Dak will have to save the day just like Romo did to hide his HC's flaws.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In summation:

I agree in large part. When Dallas is able to pick up 5 or 6 yards on 1st and we are keeping the down and distance in the offensive favor we move the ball very well. However in the instance where we are looking at 3rd and 10 our 1st downs have been hard to come by. Dallas has been running many of the same plays they have ran before difference is defense is off balance because the Cowboys have kept themselves in those favorable situation and it is a lot easier to string plays together.

haleyrules

Reaction score
There's a few kernels of corn in that turd, haley. Maybe even a peanut.

Sell Jason Garrett short at your own risk. Before you know it, he's in your nightmares. Just clapping and missing high fives with that face that matches his hair. Pretty soon, you can't even remember a time when you didn't love him.

The greatest trick Jason Garrett ever played was convincing the world he could not coach.

Well, I have to admit it looks like he will get a SB ring if the club can just stiffen up that defense. It is about the players...you don't have them you can't win. Hopefully, he doesn't find a way to lose it. He really scares me most of the time. I think its failsafe on the Offense and luckily he is more or less brain dead when it comes to the defense...so there is great hope.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
opportunites. It was another

Clock management continues to be an issue for Garrett and the NFL is too competitive to allow opponents unecessary opportunites. It was another gaffe(s) and just wasn't necessary. Yes, Dak saved Garrett's *** with 30 seconds. At that point, you throw with very little to lose even if GB gets the ball back in their territory. You play the odds.

We're winning AND it looks like we've found the next franchise QB. It's all good but I know Dak will have to save the day just like Romo did to hide his HC's flaws.

Dak did well but Dak was not calling the plays. I tell you what we you are running an offense putting up an avg of 26 a game and 28 and better in the past 2 weeks I'll listen to your views. Fact is people do not like Garrett and no matter what the Cowboys do this season they will continue to rip on him and insist credit go to someone else. Lastly some continue to insist that Garrett is only clapping on the sideline and has nothng to do with any of this. It really in confusing talking to Garrett haters.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dak did well but Dak was not calling the plays. I tell you what we you are running an offense putting up an avg of 26 a game and 28 and better in the past 2 weeks I'll listen to your views. Fact is people do not like Garrett and no matter what the Cowboys do this season they will continue to rip on him and insist credit go to someone else. Lastly some continue to insist that Garrett is only clapping on the sideline and has nothng to do with any of this. It really in confusing talking to Garrett haters.

Cmon my man. We are getting up early instead of down 10. We come out at half time and actually make adjustments. We are setting people up. All this with a rookie QB and with Dez out.

None of this was happening or being done well while Garrett was in control of the offense the first 8 years with Garrett.

What is it exactly that you think Garrett is doing well? What is Garrett's role on game day?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cmon my man. We are getting up early instead of down 10. We come out at half time and actually make adjustments. We are setting people up. All this with a rookie QB and with Dez out.

None of this was happening or being done well while Garrett was in control of the offense the first 8 years with Garrett.

What is it exactly that you think Garrett is doing well? What is Garrett's role on game day?

come on what? Dallas with 2:09 from their own 38 yard line threw to zeke incomplete. Dak threw a poor pass to Witten on 2nd down then threw a pass to a diving Williams on 3rd and we had no time outs

Yet on the next series Dallas got the ball on the 3 so of course they ran Zeke for 7 then ran zeke again on second Pack call timeout on each play. 3rd and 1 Dallas runs Whitehead who picks up 26 yards which puts us at that same 38 yard line and throw a big gainer to Williams who gets out of bounds and then another pass to Butler for the TD.

So tell me with 2:09 left before halftime and no time outs was Dallas just to run the ball instead of going into the 2 min drill? You may think that is poor play calling I don't. I expect the team in that 2 min situation and decent field position to march the ball down field and try to get points in the game especially with GB getting the kick off to open the 2nd half.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
come on what? Dallas with 2:09 from their own 38 yard line threw to zeke incomplete. Dak threw a poor pass to Witten on 2nd down then threw a pass to a diving Williams on 3rd and we had no time outs

Yet on the next series Dallas got the ball on the 3 so of course they ran Zeke for 7 then ran zeke again on second Pack call timeout on each play. 3rd and 1 Dallas runs Whitehead who picks up 26 yards which puts us at that same 38 yard line and throw a big gainer to Williams who gets out of bounds and then another pass to Butler for the TD.

So tell me with 2:09 left before halftime and no time outs was Dallas just to run the ball instead of going into the 2 min drill? You may think that is poor play calling I don't. I expect the team in that 2 min situation and decent field position to march the ball down field and try to get points in the game especially with GB getting the kick off to open the 2nd half.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no idea what you are talking about.

great response. So with 2:08 from your own 38 yard line you go into a hole? Sorry you don't know what your talking about. Your more interested in slaming Garrett which evidently according to you was not even calling the plays remember he was only clapping on the sideline and now I am suppose to believe that he did not call any of the plays except for that series? lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
great response. So with 2:08 from your own 38 yard line you go into a hole? Sorry you don't know what your talking about. Your more interested in slaming Garrett which evidently according to you was not even calling the plays remember he was only clapping on the sideline and now I am suppose to believe that he did not all any of the plays except for that series? lol

I have never been involved in the conversation about what you are talking about. 2:08 or whatever you are talking about I have never said one thing about.

This was my post to you below. Nothing in it about 2:08 to go or anything close.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Not at all.

Just because Dez Bryant can go up and get a football doesn't mean the playcalling is good.

Dallas is playing the chess side of football now which they have absolutely ignored in the past.

People like you would normally be making excuses about not having Tony, Dez, Scandrick, and Tyron but yet we are throwing the ball to wide open WR's and the defense is clueless as to which direction we are going when we run these plays.

There is a difference. If you don't notice it then that is on you.

This just isn't true. Unless you think Linehan suddenly learned play calling or something.

Dodger12

Reaction score

Don't get me wrong Dooms.....I don't like Garrett. Not one bit and that dislike is because of what I've seen from him as a coach.

I'm also glad you're judging Garrett for what he's done "the past two weeks." It'll take a bit more than that to get me to change my opinion.