"The professor" Rumor, or scenario that could happen possible Titans/Cowboys draft picks trade

DFWJC

Reaction score
You could get all three seconds and the Titans' 3rd rounder, but they'd keep their first.

Nailed it to within 2%. Nice thinking.

fwiw, I wouldn't want to not have a 1st. Guess dallas would have four 2nds at that point so they could take two of them and move back into the mid 1st round anyway if they had a trade partner.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Nailed it to within 2%. Nice thinking.

fwiw, I wouldn't want to not have a 1st. Guess dallas would have four 2nds at that point so they could take two of them and move back into the mid 1st round anyway if you had a trade partner.

That would make a lot of sense. I could also see them trading for the Titans' 1, 2, and 3 and then trying to sneak back into the top 10 for Elliot. I wouldn't hate that for the right price, say trading #15, #64, and their 4th rounder to move into Tampa's spot at #9.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Exactly what I was fixing to ask ?

The difference in trade value between San Diego's and Dallas' picks are the equivalent of the 50th pick in the draft. Could just be too rich to move up to draft a tackle. Or, the Chargers want Tunsil and aren't willing to trade him to Tennessee, so there's no deal to be had anyway.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Don't forget, the Titans know that we aren't taking Tunsil, so its not like we can hold their feet to the fire. They can work a deal with Jacksonville who picks behind us, and save themselves some value on the draft chart. If we hold them to #15 and both 2nd rounders, they will try to make a deal with Jacksonville for 15, and a 2nd rounder, and a 3rd rounder, and Jacksonville may very well do it, since they have a helluva lot more holes to fill than we do.
While Tennessee may be pretty sure we wouldn't select Tunsil, they can't be nearly as certain that some other team won't swap with Dallas to take him. It all depends on how much risk they're willing to take that he'll fall.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Exactly what I was fixing to ask ?
Diminishing returns
They'd probably like to keep that extra 2nd rounder (or maybe 3rd+4th instead)--which is huge.
But if by chance their man did fall to us, then they'd be willing to go for it.

Sydla

Reaction score
While Tennessee may be pretty sure we wouldn't select Tunsil, they can't be nearly as certain that some other team won't swap with Dallas to take him. It all depends on how much risk they're willing to take that he'll fall.

But they'll likely have an idea if someone is making a move or not. As much as people want to think every front office operates in secrecy, they do often share information at times, especially if they are friendly front offices. It's been said that prior to making the trade, the Eagles knew who the Rams were going to take at 1 as the Rams and Eagles have a good relationship.

So if some team is banging on our door to get the 4th pick, I suspect Tennessee is going to have an idea what's going on. They probably won't know the actual compensation but they'd probably know if a team or two was also trying to get our pick.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That would make a lot of sense. I could also see them trading for the Titans' 1, 2, and 3 and then trying to sneak back into the top 10 for Elliot. I wouldn't hate that for the right price, say trading #15, #64, and their 4th rounder to move into Tampa's spot at #9.

Yeah, I'd been thinking about that spot at 9....just ahead of the Giants :laugh:

reddyuta

Reaction score
If Tunsil falls to us its an absolute dream scenario. I would hold out for two second round picks from the Titans. If they call my bluff, then I just draft the best prospect in the draft.

They are not the only team which needs a LT badly.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I think it all depends on how many teams want the player. If we get several calls to trade up for Tunsil then we can pretty much name our price. If we don't and we want to move out of the pick, we take the best offer we got and move down. I am on record of saying a Tradedown is by the far the best move we can make in this draft and I would be happy to move to 15 and get a few extra picks.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't want them to go from 4 to 15. We lose out on a stud to get a "good" player with later picks being "potentials". Give me Elliot, Bosa, Ramsey or Tunsil over a crapshoot 11 picks later.

No one is going to give us the farm to move up to #4...........

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
But they'll likely have an idea if someone is making a move or not. As much as people want to think every front office operates in secrecy, they do often share information at times, especially if they are friendly front offices. It's been said that prior to making the trade, the Eagles knew who the Rams were going to take at 1 as the Rams and Eagles have a good relationship.

So if some team is banging on our door to get the 4th pick, I suspect Tennessee is going to have an idea what's going on. They probably won't know the actual compensation but they'd probably know if a team or two was also trying to get our pick.

You could very well be correct. However, in the case of the Eagles knowing who the Rams were going to select, that info supposedly came from an agent who happens to represent both Goff and Wentz. Even if it came from the Rams organization, itself, they really had no strategic reason to hide their pick...who's going to steal their guy when they're picking first? All I know is, if I were running our team, there might be some things I'd be willing to share, but who I want in the draft and what I'd be willing to give to get him wouldn't be amongst those things.

Wood

Reaction score
If Dallas trades back it has to also involve Tenn next year #1 (top 5) who would likely be your QB replacement for Romo. These 2nd rounders we see being thrown around do nothing to seriously address huge hole at QB going forward.

cds99

Reaction score
I like the idea and I don't. If we was able to get Lunch with that 15th pick and use the later ones on the dl, wouldn't be bad

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
we shouldn't trade that far down.... if it is not a top ten pick we would trade down to, then pass.... we didn't get this pick to just give it away for potential which is what you might get in 2nd and 3rd

Common Sense

Reaction score
If Dallas trades back it has to also involve Tenn next year #1 (top 5) who would likely be your QB replacement for Romo. These 2nd rounders we see being thrown around do nothing to seriously address huge hole at QB going forward.

If you can deal #4 for #15 and a 2017 first rounder, you have to do it.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't want them to go from 4 to 15. We lose out on a stud to get a "good" player with later picks being "potentials". Give me Elliot, Bosa, Ramsey or Tunsil over a crapshoot 11 picks later.

No one is going to give us the farm to move up to #4...........

I guess the difference is in how you see guys. In this draft, I don't see Elliott or Bosa or Ramsey as sure fire studs that you have to have. Tunsil, to me, is the elite guy but we are in a position that while we could "use" him, we don't really "need" him.

In this draft and given the fact that we aren't a player or two away from being one of the 2-3 best teams in the league, trading down, acquiring additional picks makes a ton of sense to me. If we were a TB away from being the best team in the league, then sure, stay at 4 and take Elliott. But we are not. When I can slide to 15 and maybe take Spence or Lawson who in my eyes isn't that much worse than Bosa, and get other picks on top of that? That's the better way to improve this club IMO.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I just read some stuff on the chargers board and they think they will draft Ramsey.