The QB salary argument

HungryLion

Reaction score
I'm not playing that game with you because the money they make is nothing compared to what Dak is getting.

We can still overpay for some of those guys and be fine. Once Dak is paid you will hurt somewhere..

Look at Seattle. Russell Wilson is actually an elite player and they are screwed at the end of the day because they have no defensive potential and it's taken them 2 years under his contract just to get a Offensive line with a pulse.

Dak already is paid. And you see no difference. He is making franchise tag level money this season. the offense is overall playing very well.

the defense is doing NOTHING because it’s highest paid players are literally invisible.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Here’s one of my issues if the team decides to not pay Dak.

I have heard all the arguments that Dak wants too much money and it will hamstring the salary cap.

Well, Dak is one of the best players on the team (he is you know it’s true) and he plays the most important position in football.

So we are supposed to move on from Dak and risk the very real possibility of having worse QB play. So we can “sign other players and get better play on the rest of the team”

Really?

sign other players like who? DeMarcus Lawrence?

like Jaylon Smith?

like Tyrone Crawford?

These scrub bums have massive deals and DO NOTHING.

so y’all want to risk having worse QB play so our wonderful GM’s Jerry and Stephen can turn around and sign some more scrub, bum defenders who make a ton of cash and DO NOTHING?

How about DeMarcus Lawrence and Jaylon Smith and Tyrone Crawford actually play up to their contract? If those 3 guys actually played to their level of pay. The cowboys defense would be legit good rather than giving up 5 touchdown passes yesterday.

But I’m supposed to hope for the cowboys to sign a worse QB or risk drafting one when they’ve shown little ability to do so, so they can turn around and give the money to defenders, despite the cowboys front office burning cash consistently on BUMS on defense?

that’s supposed to make sense?

Y’all worried about the cap are worried about the wrong cap management issue. Don’t throw 20 mil on DE’s who don’t get sacks.

don’t throw millions at a linebacker who doesn’t know where he is going and has made zero plays.

don’t throw nearly 10 mil at a BACKUP level DL player.

it’s a joke.

The problem is any player taking up that much cap space has got to make other players around him better and he doesn't. What he does do is eat the same amount of cap space as Dlaw, Jaylon, crawford and griffen (technically griffen puts this grp about 800k over) . Dak is good but not great and he still requires a ton of talent around him to be good. Those other guys have the same issue but none have the singular impact on the cap that Dak has. Shouldn't they learn the lesson from extending guys to big deals that do not deserve it?

HungryLion

Reaction score
The problem is any player taking up that much cap space has got to make other players around him better and he doesn't. What he does do is eat the same amount of cap space as Dlaw, Jaylon, crawford and griffen (technically griffen puts this grp about 800k over) . Dak is good but not great and he still requires a ton of talent around him to be good. Those other guys have the same issue but none have the singular impact on the cap that Dak has. Shouldn't they learn the lesson from extending guys to big deals that do not deserve it?

Yes. So let’s trust them to find another QB when they’ve proven they suck at it, so they can spend more money on defenders, when they’ve proven they suck at it.

Great logic.

Sounds like a recipe for success.

jsb357

Reaction score
Let’s trust Jerry and Stephen to use the savings on Dak to build an elite defense. LOL

heston.gif

HungryLion

Reaction score
You do know both things can be right, don’t you?

Sure. I also know if you have a crap QB and a bad defense it leads to 3-13.

This also denies the fact that hey. Maybe the defense wouldn’t suck if they didn’t overpay guys they already have. And hey Dak is already making a lot of money from the tag.

so all things being equal if their defenders actually played to their contracts. We are probably 3-0 right now.

John813

Reaction score
It’s not “a game” it’s the truth.

The combo of Lawrence and Jaylon and Crawford make about as much as Dak does this season.

But hey. Yes. Let’s trust Jerry and Stephen to use the savings on Dak to build an elite defense. LOL

that’ll happen

Next year the dynamic duo of Lawrence and Smith will count 34.8mil against the cap.
The cost of a long term deal for Dak will have a smaller cap hit.

At this point, you're arguing with a wall. Some people are set in their unrealistic views on Dak right now.

HungryLion

Reaction score
A few seasons like that usually results in a dominant team down the line. Staying 8-8 for a decade leads to being average forever.

Yes. Those lowly seasons the cowboys had years ago under Jerry led to dominant teams
Down the line. I remember that clearly.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Here’s one of my issues if the team decides to not pay Dak.

I have heard all the arguments that Dak wants too much money and it will hamstring the salary cap.

Well, Dak is one of the best players on the team (he is you know it’s true) and he plays the most important position in football.

So we are supposed to move on from Dak and risk the very real possibility of having worse QB play. So we can “sign other players and get better play on the rest of the team”

Really?

sign other players like who? DeMarcus Lawrence?

like Jaylon Smith?

like Tyrone Crawford?

These scrub bums have massive deals and DO NOTHING.

so y’all want to risk having worse QB play so our wonderful GM’s Jerry and Stephen can turn around and sign some more scrub, bum defenders who make a ton of cash and DO NOTHING?

How about DeMarcus Lawrence and Jaylon Smith and Tyrone Crawford actually play up to their contract? If those 3 guys actually played to their level of pay. The cowboys defense would be legit good rather than giving up 5 touchdown passes yesterday.

But I’m supposed to hope for the cowboys to sign a worse QB or risk drafting one when they’ve shown little ability to do so, so they can turn around and give the money to defenders, despite the cowboys front office burning cash consistently on BUMS on defense?

that’s supposed to make sense?

Y’all worried about the cap are worried about the wrong cap management issue. Don’t throw 20 mil on DE’s who don’t get sacks.

don’t throw millions at a linebacker who doesn’t know where he is going and has made zero plays.

don’t throw nearly 10 mil at a BACKUP level DL player.

it’s a joke.

source.gif

HungryLion

Reaction score
Next year the dynamic duo of Lawrence and Smith will count 34.8mil against the cap.
The cost of a long term deal for Dak will have a smaller cap hit.

At this point, you're arguing with a wall. Some people are set in their unrealistic views on Dak right now.

34.8 mil. All the while Catch tells me that the money they make is nothing near what Dak gets. right? 34.8 mil? Nothing close to what the QB is asking for. Even though Jerry and Stephen had Dak willing to accept that same amount AAV over 5 years if they just waived a franchise tag after.

For guys who get zero sacks, don’t force turnovers and are experts at making tackles 8 yards down the field.

But hey! Let’s get Jerry and Stephen more money so they can get a few more guys like that.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Yes. Those lowly seasons the cowboys had years ago under Jerry led to dominant teams
Down the line. I remember that clearly.

If you’re talking about the late 80’s, you are right.

If you’re taking about the Campo years, look at those drafts.

HungryLion

Reaction score
If you’re talking about the late 80’s, you are right.

If you’re taking about the Campo years, look at those drafts.

That was Jimmy. Jerry gets credit for staying out of jimmys way long enough for it to happen. Nothing more.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Team needs to rebuild.

Lets be real here:

1. Do you truly believe that Dak is great enough to carry this inept defense and win 3 or 4 straight playoff games?

2. Do you have faith that Jerry and his frugal son have to ability to build a defense good enough to support this QB through solely drafting? Mind you, they have made stupid picks on that side of the ball for at least the last 4 seasons.

Chido
Lewis
Taco
Jaylon

If the answer is no to both of those questions, its obvious that we need to:

a. Try to find and develop a BETTER quarterback

Or

b. Build an above average defense with money that we wouldve went to Dak.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Team needs to rebuild.

Lets be real here:

1. Do you truly believe that Dak is great enough to carry this inept defense and win 3 or 4 straight playoff games?

2. Do you have faith that Jerry and his frugal son have to ability to build a defense good enough to support this QB through solely drafting? Mind you, they have made stupid picks on that side of the ball for at least the last 4 seasons.

Chido
Lewis
Taco
Jaylon

Or

I don’t trust them to do either Willie.

honestly. Let’s be real. How different is the defense if Jaylon and Lawrence and Crawford play up to their current deals?

I don’t trust Jerry to use the extra 20
Mil from savings on Dak to build a defense great enough to make up for bad QB play.

I also don’t trust them to draft a QB who is any good. I would give McCarthy a shot
Though.

Creeper

Reaction score
Dak is a good QB, but he is not an elite QB. He makes mistakes that elite QBs rarely make. He also makes plays that some other QBs don't make. The problem Dak presents is it would be hard to find another QB as good as Dak but he is never going to be as good as Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes or Drew Brees. How do you value someone like him at contract time. He is not worth $40 million. If they pay Dak that kind of money they will hamper themselves at other positions for years.

One thing about Dak that has been consistent since he came into the league. He is not that accurate and he has a tendency to throw behind his receivers when they are on the move. We saw a number of passes knocked away yesterday because the ball was behind the receiver. He was lucky he was not intercepted 5 times yesterday. I am not blaming him for the loss. The rest of the team played much worse than Dak. But I did not think it was one of his better games.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Team needs to rebuild.

Lets be real here:

Chido
Lewis
Taco
Jaylon

Or

So I guess I would say the only chance with this GM crew is to get lucky and draft a TRULY ELITE QB.

but what’s the odds on that? I don’t like those odds either man. lol

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Just because we made a mistake with Crawford, Lawrence and Smith does not Ema. We need to add to the misery. Dak Prescott while I like the guy needs a Complete team around him.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Dak is a good QB, but he is not an elite QB. He makes mistakes that elite QBs rarely make. He also makes plays that some other QBs don't make. The problem Dak presents is it would be hard to find another QB as good as Dak but he is never going to be as good as Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes or Drew Brees. How do you value someone like him at contract time. He is not worth $40 million. If they pay Dak that kind of money they will hamper themselves at other positions for years.

One thing about Dak that has been consistent since he came into the league. He is not that accurate and he has a tendency to throw behind his receivers when they are on the move. We saw a number of passes knocked away yesterday because the ball was behind the receiver. He was lucky he was not intercepted 5 times yesterday. I am not blaming him for the loss. The rest of the team played much worse than Dak. But I did not think it was one of his better games.

The point of my post is. They hamper themselves at other positions.

Lawrence and Jaylon making 34.8 mil next year. 34.8 mil!!!!!!

and they do nothing!!!!!