The QB salary argument

HungryLion

Reaction score
Just because we made a mistake with Crawford, Lawrence and Smith does not Ema. We need to add to the misery. Dak Prescott while I like the guy needs a Complete team around him.

You’re right. Jerry and Stephen are on it. They’re gonna build that complete team.

just like they did when they had Dak on the hook for 2 mil a season.......... oh wait. How did that work out.

RS12

Reaction score
One and eight now on game determining drives speaks volumes.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Dak is fine. Might as well pay him cause we could just end up with worse. At least he is good enough to entertain on Sunday. At the end of the day we are an absolute joke of a franchise with a drunken tool calling the shots. Win or lose he is having the time of his life. So should we. Sunday was one hell of an entertaining game. We should just enjoy it for what it is. Entertainment.

Swagger

Reaction score
I don't know how you can watch last night's game - or really, the entirety of the league this year - and think you should pay money to anything but a QB, OL, and pass catchers. It's all that matters.

Aaron Donald is the best player in the NFL and he did not make one bit of difference yesterday.

Not really. Donald had 2 sacks and a forced fumble. But for a highly questionable call on the last drive he plays a key role in the team winning.

HungryLion

Reaction score
One and eight now on game determining drives speaks volumes.

The prior drive would have been a game winning drive if the defense gets one stop after it.

Chew on that for a while.

Too much to ask for the richly paid Lawrence and Jaylon Smith to force a fumble or get a pick?

I guess it is.

Creeper

Reaction score
The point of my post is. They hamper themselves at other positions.

Lawrence and Jaylon making 34.8 mil next year. 34.8 mil!!!!!!

and they do nothing!!!!!

I completely agree. Bad decisions haunt the team for years. It makes me gun shy about Dak too, but I don;t think Dak will be like Lawrence. At the same time I do not think he is ever going to be better than he is now.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I completely agree. Bad decisions haunt the team for years. It makes me gun shy about Dak too, but I don;t think Dak will be like Lawrence. At the same time I do not think he is ever going to be better than he is now.

I understand the concern about exactly how good is Dak. I get it. I really do.

The true point of my post isn’t really to argue exactly how good Dak is or isn’t.

it’s to discuss the argument of salary cap ramifications.

Like can we trust that if they move on from Dak, that they will use the salary cap savings wisely? I see no evidence as to why I should trust them to do so.

RS12

Reaction score
The prior drive would have been a game winning drive if the defense gets one stop after it.

Chew on that for a while.

Too much to ask for the richly paid Lawrence and Jaylon Smith to force a fumble or get a pick?

I guess it is.
You keep reaching like that you gonna pull something. Is there a doubt in anybody's mind if Wilson was our QB we are 3 and 0 even with the holes on this team?

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You bring up a fair point, OP.

There’s not an easy answer here.

Jaylon and Crawford and Lawrence’s contracts are all terrible, you’re right. But IMO, giving Dak $40million/yr would just further exacerbate the problem. You’d like someone who could carry the team if he’s making that much (but Dak can’t do it all himself).

But at the same time, we aren’t going to find someone better than Dak to take his place.

The organization is between a rock and a hard place. All self inflicted, of course, but still not easy to manage. Looks like lots more suffering for Cowboys fans in the future

J12B

Reaction score
I completely agree.

Although, I don't like the idea of giving Prescott a contract like the one Watson just got, we are going to have to and it's actually a safer bet than trying to build the defense through free agency as you pointed out.

Letting Dak walk at this point would mean we'd have to draft a QB early in the 1st round. That would require us to trade away a lot of draft capital to do so. Draft picks the team absolutely needs. I have faith the front office can hit on rounds 1-3 and the defense could be strenghthend this route, allowing Prescott to remain as QB and solidifying the position.

Here’s one of my issues if the team decides to not pay Dak.

I have heard all the arguments that Dak wants too much money and it will hamstring the salary cap.

Well, Dak is one of the best players on the team (he is you know it’s true) and he plays the most important position in football.

So we are supposed to move on from Dak and risk the very real possibility of having worse QB play. So we can “sign other players and get better play on the rest of the team”

Really?

sign other players like who? DeMarcus Lawrence?

like Jaylon Smith?

like Tyrone Crawford?

These scrub bums have massive deals and DO NOTHING.

so y’all want to risk having worse QB play so our wonderful GM’s Jerry and Stephen can turn around and sign some more scrub, bum defenders who make a ton of cash and DO NOTHING?

How about DeMarcus Lawrence and Jaylon Smith and Tyrone Crawford actually play up to their contract? If those 3 guys actually played to their level of pay. The cowboys defense would be legit good rather than giving up 5 touchdown passes yesterday.

But I’m supposed to hope for the cowboys to sign a worse QB or risk drafting one when they’ve shown little ability to do so, so they can turn around and give the money to defenders, despite the cowboys front office burning cash consistently on BUMS on defense?

that’s supposed to make sense?

Y’all worried about the cap are worried about the wrong cap management issue. Don’t throw 20 mil on DE’s who don’t get sacks.

don’t throw millions at a linebacker who doesn’t know where he is going and has made zero plays.

don’t throw nearly 10 mil at a BACKUP level DL player.

it’s a joke.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score

I have heard all the arguments that Dak wants too much money and it will hamstring the salary cap.

Well, Dak is one of the best players on the team (he is you know it’s true) and he plays the most important position in football.

So we are supposed to move on from Dak and risk the very real possibility of having worse QB play. So we can “sign other players and get better play on the rest of the team”

Really?

like Jaylon Smith?

like Tyrone Crawford?

so y’all want to risk having worse QB play so our wonderful GM’s Jerry and Stephen can turn around and sign some more scrub, bum defenders who make a ton of cash and DO NOTHING?

How about DeMarcus Lawrence and Jaylon Smith and Tyrone Crawford actually play up to their contract? If those 3 guys actually played to their level of pay. The cowboys defense would be legit good rather than giving up 5 touchdown passes yesterday.

But I’m supposed to hope for the cowboys to sign a worse QB or risk drafting one when they’ve shown little ability to do so, so they can turn around and give the money to defenders, despite the cowboys front office burning cash consistently on BUMS on defense?

Y’all worried about the cap are worried about the wrong cap management issue. Don’t throw 20 mil on DE’s who don’t get sacks.

don’t throw millions at a linebacker who doesn’t know where he is going and has made zero plays.

it’s a joke.

You're not wrong.

HungryLion

Reaction score
You keep reaching like that you gonna pull something. Is there a doubt in anybody's mind if Wilson was our QB we are 3 and 0 even with the holes on this team?

LOL. You’re right.

we just need to go out and get a Russell Wilson.

Why didn’t I think of that? Duh!

Verdict

Reaction score

Really?

like Jaylon Smith?

like Tyrone Crawford?

it’s a joke.
I have been saying that for some time. Dak isn’t worth $40m, but I would rather overpay Dak than Tank, Jaylon etc. That Tank contract is a huge albatross.

I also like Amari Cooper, but you can get three Davante’ Parker’s for one Amari, and Parker is every bit as good as Amari.

Tank should not be making Donald money. Donald impacts the game 5 times as much as Tank.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I do not want to be mediocre.

What has Dak shown that makes anyone believe he can make a ton of money and us not fall into the abyss of mediocrity?

I may be a delusional Cowboy fan but I feel like Dallas has a better team than Seattle talent wise but the difference is Russell Wilson & they don't do bonehead things.
We ARE mediocre, and fans are still here.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I want to be clear.

This post ultimately isn’t meant to argue how good Dak is or isn’t.

it’s merely to point out that we frankly, cannot trust our front office to manage the salary cap.

It’s about the argument of “if we pay Dak less we can use the money to build a better team”.

I don’t feel confident in that either.

the cowboys had Dak at an absolute STEAL of a contract for 3 seasons (not including rookie when Romo was on the team). And despite having Dak at A STEAL. Did they use the money to make a great defense? Where was this great defense with those cap savings?

where was it?

but hey. Letting one of our best players at The most important position walk just to save cap money. That’s supposed to make the difference?

I don’t buy it.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Not really. Donald had 2 sacks and a forced fumble. But for a highly questionable call on the last drive he plays a key role in the team winning.
He made 0 difference because the Bills moved the ball all day and scored 28 points independent of that call. Being a difference-maker is determined by w/l

HungryLion

Reaction score
That isn't the point. You only wreck your cap for greatness not goodness.

They already wrecked the cap for bums like Lawrence and Jaylon. That’s the whole point of the thread.

you’re focused on the wrong “cap wrecking”