The QB salary argument

RD21

Reaction score
I'm willing to give Dak the rest of the year to decide. Right now, at this moment... I'm not convinced he's worth top QB in the league money. Or even close to it for that matter. 40 mil/yr or close to it..?! No way.

However, it's still early. There's lots of football left to play. He still has the ability to change to my mind (& probably the front office). Honestly, I'm rooting for him. I hope they (coaching staff) can figure it out, & start clicking. Forgive me for being skeptical, or perhaps overly cynical. I've been a fan for a long time.

I would take winning the Super Bowl, & paying Dak, knowing it will hamstring us to years of being in salary cap hell, & most likely garbage. We've suffered a looooong time, as fans. I would easily trade another couple decades of garbage, for a Lombardi trophy right now :cool:

HungryLion

Reaction score
I'm willing to give Dak the rest of the year to decide. Right now, at this moment... I'm not convinced he's worth top QB in the league money. Or even close to it for that matter. 40 mil/yr or close to it..?! No way.

However, it's still early. There's lots of football left to play. He still has the ability to change to my mind (& probably the front office). Honestly, I'm rooting for him. I hope they (coaching staff) can figure it out, & start clicking. Forgive me for being skeptical, or perhaps overly cynical. I've been a fan for a long time.

I would take winning the Super Bowl, & paying Dak, knowing it will hamstring us to years of being in salary cap hell, & most likely garbage. We've suffered a looooong time, as fans. I would easily trade another couple decades of garbage, for a Lombardi trophy right now :cool:

that’s all fair.

I think my biggest argument is.

If the cowboys do move on from Dak. Then so be it. I’ll still be rooting for the team just as hard.

I just don’t think saving money on the QB position to pay other players is necessarily a recipe for increased success. I mean. That money needs to be spent on players who actually make an impact.

you can’t have highly paid players doing nothing and win a championship.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't know how you can watch last night's game - or really, the entirety of the league this year - and think you should pay money to anything but a QB, OL, and pass catchers. It's all that matters.

Aaron Donald is the best player in the NFL and he did not make one bit of difference yesterday.

Let's see who wins the superbowl.

The mega deal QB or well rounded team with cheap QB.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
They had an opportunity to get Dak for Wentz and Goff level contracts if they weren’t dumb and didn’t lowball him.

Thats just factually false. They offered him in that range and he turned them down. He altered his demands 3 games in last year after they had basically agreed in principal.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I see your point Dak but I don't understand how overpaying certain players on the defense is justification for overpaying the QB.

Overpaying the QB under the pretense that management would just waste any value they received from a team friendly QB deal seems like throwing good money after bad. At the end of the day you need to get good value from all your contracts.

The offense will very soon be dealing with it's own resource allocation issues and will need its share of the pie.

uvaballa

Reaction score
I see your point Dak but I don't understand how overpaying certain players on the defense is justification for overpaying the QB.

Overpaying the QB under the pretense that management would just waste any value they received from a team friendly QB deal seems like throwing good money after bad. At the end of the day you need to get good value from all your contracts.

The offense will very soon be dealing with it's own resource allocation issues and will need its share of the pie.[/QUOTE
I think most QBs are over paid. That’s just the NFL right now. Is Wentz worth his contract right now? He looks like the worst QB in the NFCE. Is Cousins worth his contract? Do Brees and Brady look like their old selves? QB are going to be highly paid because they’re hard to replace.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes. So let’s trust them to find another QB when they’ve proven they suck at it, so they can spend more money on defenders, when they’ve proven they suck at it.

Great logic.

Sounds like a recipe for success.

They've actually been pretty successful finding starting QB's without using a high round pick and without drafting more than a handful of guys.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Let's see who wins the superbowl.

The mega deal QB or well rounded team with cheap QB.
So what's your point? Don't give Mahomes a big deal? Don't give Lamar a big deal?

I don't even know which teams your talking about. If your argument is "never pay a QB," then fine. But it's not the reality of the league.

RD21

Reaction score
I think most QBs are over paid. That’s just the NFL right now. Is Wentz worth his contract right now? He looks like the worst QB in the NFCE. Is Cousins worth his contract? Do Brees and Brady look like their old selves? QB are going to be highly paid because they’re hard to replace.
wassup uva.. been awhile..!

Valid points. They all make ridiculous money. I think the only fair way to gauge it is, comparing them to others in the league in their era. Is Dak one of the top 5 QB's in the league..? If not, why should he be compensated as if he is..?

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
For all of the talks around whether or not Dak deserves to get paid, the facts are that some guys on Defense have already been paid big contracts and yet they haven't shown up and haven't given up 77 points in the last 2 weeks. While Aldon Smith had come in and played better than both DLAW and Jaylon. If the whole D-Line played up to Aldon Smith's level then maybe the Cowboys could actually get pressure on the QB and force some turnovers for once.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
that’s all fair.

I think my biggest argument is.

If the cowboys do move on from Dak. Then so be it. I’ll still be rooting for the team just as hard.

I just don’t think saving money on the QB position to pay other players is necessarily a recipe for increased success. I mean. That money needs to be spent on players who actually make an impact.

you can’t have highly paid players doing nothing and win a championship.
You're correct you can't have highly paid players doing nothing. I think Dak salary could be used elsewhere. I think you can find players to put up comparable play with this talent for way less than what you're paying Dak. This isn't only about Dak but qb's in general if you're not top 5 in QB talent and numbers I wouldn't pay big money for you tbh. People just so defensive about this QB for some odd reason they think my logic isn't the same on the position in general but it is.

HungryLion

Reaction score

The offense will very soon be dealing with it's own resource allocation issues and will need its share of the pie.

No you’re right. It’s not justification to overpay the QB. I agree.

I guess it’s more of an assessment about how the cap allocation as a total has been screwed up badly by the FO. IMO. And it makes me distrust them.

I get the concerns with overpaying Dak. But I also don’t trust them to find a quality replacement and I don’t trust them to build a team around that replacement, especially if that replacement is not as good as Dak.

So maybe this is more of a “Jerry bad” thread lol

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Dak's a decent QB, but to be fair:

> While I'm not blaming him for the loss, he alone turned the ball over 3 times in a very tight game. Imagine the outcome with zero turnovers.

> When looking at his salary, and the other talent that can be brought in/retained- look at the free agents we brought in this offseason, and the cost of those. I do believe good QB play is a prerequisite, but certainly there is a trade-off here.

Bottom line is there are shades of grey here. It's not a simple "Dak lover vs. hater" thing. Thoughtful resource allocation has been a consistent problem for the team.

HungryLion

Reaction score
You're correct you can't have highly paid players doing nothing. I think Dak salary could be used elsewhere. I think you can find players to put up comparable play with this talent for way less than what you're paying Dak. This isn't only about Dak but qb's in general if you're not top 5 in QB talent and numbers I wouldn't pay big money for you tbh. People just so defensive about this QB for some odd reason they think my logic isn't the same on the position in general but it is.

Nah I hear ya man. Like I said. I get the argument against paying Dak from a cap perspective. I don’t necessarily agree. But I understand where you’re coming from.

I just don’t trust them to use that cap resource wisely on other players either. To be honest. And that’s just reflective of how I feel about the FO.

HungryLion

Reaction score
They've actually been pretty successful finding starting QB's without using a high round pick and without drafting more than a handful of guys.

And they’ve been an albatross at finding defenders and choosing which ones to pay.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So what's your point? Don't give Mahomes a big deal? Don't give Lamar a big deal?

I don't even know which teams your talking about. If your argument is "never pay a QB," then fine. But it's not the reality of the league.

That’s the whole catch and why you want to go all in when they are rookies.

They won titles on their rookie deal.

I’m about the Super Bowl. I don’t care about my quarterback unless he is a super special player because paying the QB is not the way forward. It’s more of a celebration tour post Super Bowl.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Here’s one of my issues if the team decides to not pay Dak.

I have heard all the arguments that Dak wants too much money and it will hamstring the salary cap.

Well, Dak is one of the best players on the team (he is you know it’s true) and he plays the most important position in football.

So we are supposed to move on from Dak and risk the very real possibility of having worse QB play. So we can “sign other players and get better play on the rest of the team”

Really?

sign other players like who? DeMarcus Lawrence?

like Jaylon Smith?

like Tyrone Crawford?

These scrub bums have massive deals and DO NOTHING.

so y’all want to risk having worse QB play so our wonderful GM’s Jerry and Stephen can turn around and sign some more scrub, bum defenders who make a ton of cash and DO NOTHING?

How about DeMarcus Lawrence and Jaylon Smith and Tyrone Crawford actually play up to their contract? If those 3 guys actually played to their level of pay. The cowboys defense would be legit good rather than giving up 5 touchdown passes yesterday.

But I’m supposed to hope for the cowboys to sign a worse QB or risk drafting one when they’ve shown little ability to do so, so they can turn around and give the money to defenders, despite the cowboys front office burning cash consistently on BUMS on defense?

that’s supposed to make sense?

Y’all worried about the cap are worried about the wrong cap management issue. Don’t throw 20 mil on DE’s who don’t get sacks.

don’t throw millions at a linebacker who doesn’t know where he is going and has made zero plays.

don’t throw nearly 10 mil at a BACKUP level DL player.

it’s a joke

And don't throw 40m at a QB who with the ball in hands 2 times this season with 2 minutes to go, couldn't get us the tying or winning points at the end of the game (Rams and Seahawks games) For 40m a season i would expect to have at least won one of those games with the ball in his hands at the end and be 2-1 at this point, instead of being very very lucky to be 1-2

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Nah I hear ya man. Like I said. I get the argument against paying Dak from a cap perspective. I don’t necessarily agree. But I understand where you’re coming from.

I just don’t trust them to use that cap resource wisely on other players either. To be honest. And that’s just reflective of how I feel about the FO.
I hear you on the FO but I rather you make cheaper mistake than big mistakes. If you lose $1 you'll be like eh but you'll most likely be ok but most people lose $5000 dollars aren't going to be as nonchalant about it. That's my take on mistakes regarding the salary cap. Dak is Kirk cousins to me in skills and talent and I don't believe that's a 40million QB sorry. I rather just start over or get someone cheaper to put up good enough stats to Dak. Even if that cheaper player fails that means we can get a crack at a top QB talent so I'm ok with that personally.

HungryLion

Reaction score
And don't throw 40m at a QB who with the ball in hands 2 times this season with 2 minutes to go, couldn't get us the tying or winning points at the end of the game (Rams and Seahawks games) For 40m a season i would expect to have at least won one of those games with the ball in his hands at the end and be 2-1 at this point, instead of being very very lucky to be 1-2

Sure. Ignore the falcons game.

Also ignore that he had the ball in his hands and gave the team the lead yesterday with 4 minutes to go. And guys making over 30 million combined (Crawford, Lawrence and Jaylon) and none of them made a single play. Not one. Just one play to stop the Seahawks and the game was won. And they made NONE

but you’re right. He didn’t give the team the lead with less than 2 minutes to go. So it doesn’t count right? It has to be less than 2 minutes Because the defense sucks and has overpaid players who suck

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Sure. Ignore the falcons game.

Also ignore that he had the ball in his hands and gave the team the lead yesterday with 4 minutes to go. And guys making over 30 million combined (Crawford, Lawrence and Jaylon) and none of them made a single play. Not one. Just one play to stop the Seahawks and the game was won. And they made NONE

I didn't that is the game i said we were lucky to win (and we were)...miracle onside kick and all.. And after Dak gave us the lead Russell Wislon drove his team for a TD and a 2 point conversion to take back the lead with 2 minutes left. Dak had the ball in his hands with 2 minutes left and 3 timeouts... you tell me what happenned