The Rams are a model for the Cowboys

IrishAnto

Reaction score
My story would have you winning it in Detroit...

Much more compelling than going to a stacked team and winning it.
He would have had to play into his 90s to have any chance of winning a SB in Detroit.
A bit like D Ware etc. in Dallas. Need to move on to win the big one.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
While I certainly think there’s more then one way to skin a cat I definitely don’t think the Rams are a model for anyone. They have badly mismanaged their teams resources, both draft capital and cap space littering draft picks all over the place and incurring sunk costs by cutting players they traded for early on in their contracts. They have made a lot of mistakes.

With that said, despite this mismanagement, they have managed to make two Super Bowls with this philosophy and that’s obviously more then can be said for Dallas. If they don’t win it all this year though, the past will come screaming down on them and they will have little recourse for change.

I think Dallas should utilize free agency more then they have, but I think the Rams’ model is incredibly risky, and fails miserably far more often then it is successful, and generally, the consequences are long lasting.

I doubt we could go the Rams route, as the over inflated contracts just arent playing upto the money (Dak, Zeke, DLaw, Coop(may not be his fault), Tyron (for the number of games he averages). The Rams are going 'all-in' to supplement a successful team (hence the Stafford and Von trades) which is designed to take them over the top. The Rams also have the advantage of a 'CAP reset' in 2023, available CAP to (re-)structure contracts.

We struggle to get below the CAP (2022, 2023 and not great in 2024), let alone be a player in FA. We have 'sunk costs' as we give out too many contracts for 'our guys'..... a different approach is to acknowledge that we arent going to win with inflated priced: DLaw, Coop and try to get some assets (draft picks and/or CAP relief).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Good god, ya'll.
th

You fooling me, yes?
Jerry is naturally inclined to keep aging, declining, oft-injured past-their-expiration-date players.
No big FA moves.
Few consequences.
No accountability.

,,, Look at the clowns we have returning in 2022! Fat Mac, Mr. Ed and Dak. All with a vote of confidence from the Jones.

Jerry won't change, me mate.
Good chap, here is the downer: When Jesus takes Jerry, Stephen will stay the course.
He has learned well from Jerry.

Jerry's so desperate for the win before he goes to the big blue star in the sky that he runs his team as a perennial contender, perpetuated by the dreadful 'East' and the hope that we only need to get to the play-offs.

The sad reality, which was front and center this season, was that we can beat up on the East, but are still a long way to go (with no Cap flexibility) from being a Championship team.

I would hope that when Stephen takes over he'd lose this idea, we have, of giving short signed contracts based on 'names' rather than football ability and projected value.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Jerry's so desperate for the win before he goes to the big blue star in the sky that he runs his team as a perennial contender, perpetuated by the dreadful 'East' and the hope that we only need to get to the play-offs.

The sad reality, which was front and center this season, was that we can beat up on the East, but are still a long way to go (with no Cap flexibility) from being a Championship team.

I would hope that when Stephen takes over he'd lose this idea, we have, of giving short signed contracts based on 'names' rather than football ability and projected value.
:clap:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Hopefully Jethro will pay attention to how they turned this around by making bold moves in FA and blockbuster trades not satisfied with just a playoff team.

They took a chance mortgaging the future to win now. This is definitely a model our owner could follow . And could be the best path to bringing in more talent to get over the hump, now.
The Dallas Cowboys (Tex, Gil, Tom, Jimmy, Wooten, Ackles) are the model for the Arlington Jonesboys.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He would have had to play into his 90s to have any chance of winning a SB in Detroit.
A bit like D Ware etc. in Dallas. Need to move on to win the big one.
You may as well be carrying on a conversation with a mannequin.
This guy has biases that run so deep he loses all rational thought.

And for the record, although you're right about the hopeless situation Stafford was in.....I think you actually underestimated it.
Dallas' situation the last 6 years has been infinitely better than he was dealing with.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
NO secrets to building a Super Bowl team even 60 years later. A great defense, and an awesome offensive line.

DFWJC

Reaction score
One team LUCKED out. There was no great moves made by the front office. Brady picked where he wanted to go.

Rams get the credit... but they also lucked out that the DB literally dropped a fair catch punt.
Rams dropped 2 easy ints too....one which should've been a pick 6.
So let's trade dropped ints---2 for 1-- and say the Rams should've won by 7 more than they did....lol

Obviously, it doesn't work that way as every game has multiple blown plays by both teams. The only plays that count....are the plays that...count.

They were better than the 49ers last Sunday.

doomsday808

Reaction score
The biggest difference is the Rams have an Owner, COO, GM and VP of Operations. FOUR different people who are not related to one another and held accountable for results.

Rayman70

Reaction score
So you are on record saying Cincy wins?

and btw, Chase pretty much lights everyone up. Kupp will do the same.
no I'm not saying Cincy wins. They may, but if the Rams start fast and play sound, they will win. If Stafford plays sketchy, Cincy will win.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The biggest difference is the Rams have an Owner, COO, GM and VP of Operations. FOUR different people who are not related to one another and held accountable for results.
Wait..why didnt that matter when Jimmy J and Barry was there winning SB's? The same was true back then.. Just sayin.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Clark Hunt and Lamar Hunt are related, yet they win SB's..that didnt hinder them. But they did 2 things that lifted the franchise 2 elite status. HIRED ANDY REID, THEN DRAFTED A GREAT QB. We for sure lack the great HC...and the Jury is still out on Dak.

Brax

Reaction score
Haha as if Jerry knows how to follow any established model
Jerry did it his way with no regrets;

And now the end is near
So I face the final curtain
My friends, I'll say it clear
And state my case of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full
I've traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this
I did it my, my way

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exception

And I planned each charted course
Each careful step along life's byway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way

I loved, I laughed, I cried
Had my filled my share of losing
And now as tears subside
I find it all so amusing
Just to think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way
Oh no, oh no, not me
I did it my way

For what is a man, what has he got
If not himself, then he has not
To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way

DFWJC

Reaction score
no I'm not saying Cincy wins. They may, but if the Rams start fast and play sound, they will win. If Stafford plays sketchy, Cincy will win.
My closest cousins are from SW Ohio (Xenia) and are long-suffering, season ticket holding, Bengals fans
They're going nuts up there. At least for now, the future is looking bright for them, and ahead of schedule.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Hopefully Jethro will pay attention to how they turned this around by making bold moves in FA and blockbuster trades not satisfied with just a playoff team.

They took a chance mortgaging the future to win now. This is definitely a model our owner could follow . And could be the best path to bringing in more talent to get over the hump, now.

The Rams have an owner who lets his football people do what it takes to win. Dallas has an owner who wants to build a winner with his son.

The Rams have a young, innovative coach who is supported by the owner. Dallas has a recycled, old coach who is limited by the owner.

The Rams are everything the Cowboys are not. Which way is working?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The Rams have an owner who lets his football people do what it takes to win. Dallas has an owner who wants to build a winner with his son.

The Rams have a young, innovative coach who is supported by the owner. Dallas has a recycled, old coach who is limited by the owner.

The Rams are everything the Cowboys are not. Which way is working?
There you go again just spouting off the obvious..:D