The real reason McCarthy was hired has nothing to do with his barn or analytics

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Parcells4Life, Nov 30, 2020.

1. cowboyec

cowboyec Well-Known Member

23,520 Messages
    27,747 Likes Received
    he wasn't the only one who whiffed on rodgers...considering how far he fell on draft day.
    and EVERYBODY that year was high on alex smith as the #1 QB in the class.

jjktkk, Techsass and cern like this.
  2. MikeB80

MikeB80 Well-Known Member

5,732 Messages
    6,241 Likes Received
    I'm sorry are you trying to tell someone that Mike McCarthy had anything to do with Joe Montana? Are you saying Mike McCarthy developed Joe Montana.

Please stop with this stuff. the guy is a terrible coach and had zero to do with joe montana and more than likely very little to do with Aaron Rodgers. In fact when he had a young Alex Smith in 05 smith was terrible. A year later with norv turner in SF smith was much better.

3. foofighters

foofighters Well-Known Member

2,970 Messages
    4,671 Likes Received
    You are correct but we've had the same head coach for a long time: Coach Jones...

4. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

10,975 Messages
    8,272 Likes Received
    I think it's possible that MM did contribute a LOT to turning Favre around, developing Aaron Rodgers into a HOF QB, YET still believe that somewhere along the way MM stopped evolving, stopped getting better, and that the game has passed him by.

I think both are true. Unfortunately, none of these is helpful to the Cowboys. The fact is we have the washed up vs MM and I don't see him re-inventing himself like Andy Reid did after he was fired in Philly.

5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

35,886 Messages
    8,001 Likes Received
    Reports have indicated that if Jerry hadn't been so impressed with Mike's interview, we'd still have Garrett.

So perfect or not, MM at least saved us from that.

dreghorn2 and conner01 like this.
  6. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

17,348 Messages
    14,935 Likes Received
    I agree
    Jerry tried the hire a young guy and develope him with Garrett
    But I think Jerry wanted a proven vet and he respected MM

jjktkk and Techsass like this.
  7. 2288doubletrouble

2288doubletrouble Well-Known Member

1,299 Messages
    1,854 Likes Received

Since the Jones boys aren’t football people it’s easy to see how they get caught up in stupidity.

8. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

28,941 Messages
    49,892 Likes Received
    I believe he was hired for the same reason that his predecessor was retained and the owner admitted it, comfort. He convinced the Joneses that he knew what the priorities of the job are in that 12 hour interview.

Priority #1, keep the owner happy. No other priorities are necessary.

We have actually heard and seen less of McC than we did Garrett. That was the #1 requirement of any candidate of the job, know his place and that isn't in the camera lens or in front of the mic when the owner is around.

There are a lot of type A personality coaches around that would not do well under these circumstances, Parcells knew he had to have that written into his contract.

Any HC candidate knows he must not just allow but enable this owner his addiction to showing off. It isn't the money, it is the attention the money brings and how many other well healed owners do you know all about their 1M Booger's Boogie Bus, chopper, cost of the stadium and boat? Hell, he's even bragging about attendance during a pandemic.

McC is there because he knows to keep from throwing any shade on his boss. Garrett was the master at that.

9. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,986 Messages
    1,828 Likes Received
    McCarthy was the face of the franchise in Green Bay as it related to the media.

The set up in GB with public ownership left him as the main team spokesperson. I believe he mentioned that he was looking forward to stepping back into a more traditional head coach media role versus the one he expeirenced with the Packers.

10. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Well-Known Member

6,033 Messages
    4,905 Likes Received
    Correct. JJ made the easiest choice so not to be criticized by the media however also not to be replaced as the face of the DC. A younger, more aggressive/dynamic coach could easily replace JJ as the key ingredient to success. JJ's ego just can't handle that over the teams success.

11. Cowfan75

Cowfan75 Well-Known Member

4,588 Messages
    5,041 Likes Received
    We all know why MM was hired. He needed to only convince Jerry that he could say the right things after a loss.

12. TequilaCowboy

TequilaCowboy Well-Known Member

750 Messages
    901 Likes Received
    UM said he was willing to listen to Dallas about the HC job, not that he would take it. He wanted to hear it from Jerry that he could have complete control a la Jimmy Johnson. I don't know if Jerry ever reached out to UM, but either way that was understood by both i feel. Think about it...every HC who has come in contact with Jerry, has had their future end with failure. Even Jimmy, could not stand the constant meddling and flapping lips of Jerry. Parcells quit and went into retirement. All the other little peon coaches he has hired were just hand puppets of Jerry who he could dispose of like used TP when the actual problem was him. No qualified, self-respecting, intelligent HC will work for a man like this. Our only hope now is that after jerry kicks the bucket, Stevie boy learns that his daddy's way is not the way for success. Let's hope his ego does not get in his way too. Oh and MM got hired because first, he agreed to be a YES man, and second he had experience. JJ is just too lazy and incompetent to interview a HC...its like me interviewing a brain surgeon for head of advanced neurosurgical care..

13. TexasFrog

TexasFrog Zone Supporter

7,705 Messages
    8,108 Likes Received
    I still don’t get why your first interview wasn’t Bienemy. This is a guy people respect snd who was learning under a guy running the #1 offense. To me this came down to Jerry having to keep one of his guys...Moore. I don’t care if they say MM made the decision. Don’t buy it. Especially after MM said he’d never give up that power again

jjktkk likes this.
  14. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,465 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    The guy has a .600 career winning percentage as head coach. He's more than just an expensive QB coach.

jjktkk likes this.
  15. dckid

dckid Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    1,686 Likes Received
    This is why this organization sucks. Jerry has never understood the big picture when it came to running this football operation. The proof is in the results. Abject failure since Jimmy Johnson left.
    Big Mike was hired but we keep boy wonder calling the plays. What an idiotic approach to running your team. Just like when Wade Phillips was hired after Jason Garrett was offensive coordinator.
    Winning culture starts from the top and that is where we fail.
    Please flush the QB and hire Eric Bienimy or Joe Brady.

16. gjkoeppen

gjkoeppen Well-Known Member

7,558 Messages
    3,238 Likes Received

If that was true Jones could have fired Garrett after the 2018 season and hired McCarthy then. He already was fired before the 2018 season was over.

17. 817Gill

817Gill Well-Known Member

4,125 Messages
    6,599 Likes Received
    Wasn’t a good coaching market at all. I’m not sure about this years either but it’s not like there was a clear better choice.

18. starfan1

starfan1 Well-Known Member

4,120 Messages
    3,582 Likes Received
    Im looking at the thread title here. I know what analytics are but what the heck is BARN? Am i to assume jerry and Big Mac are into sheep and goats? seriously what is BARN

gjkoeppen likes this.
  19. McKDaddy

McKDaddy Well-Known Member

2,938 Messages
    2,559 Likes Received
    as much as i hate ragging on a fellow Mississippian, Favre was way overrated. not that he wasn't super talented but people just didn't want to see his turnovers and bad decisions. I worked with a huge Packers fan and told her that Rodgers would make GB forget all about Favre. She thought i was crazy.

Swagger likes this.
  20. Pantone282C

Pantone282C Zone Supporter

6,103 Messages
    8,753 Likes Received
    That is looking like bottom line thinking. Makes me wonder if he had already reached that decision prior to not rehiring Garrett.
    Urban Meyer had been recently diagnosed with his heart problems, so I seriously doubt he was going anywhere soon - no matter who came calling.