The real selfish and greedy guy in Big D

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
would you be happier if instead of the word "greedy" we used unrealistic, self aggrandized, inflated, legend in one's own mind, prone to avarice? many ways to skin a cat. but the lesson of the pie stands on its own.
It's not about me being happier but them. That clause in contracts "no player at this player's position may be paid more than this player during the duration of this contract" or something to that effect. This is pure ego. It's been there a long time, at least going back to what allowed MIN to take Steve Hutchinson away from SEA because they couldn't pay him more and MIN knew that clause was in his contract and used it against them.

These players live in a world of ego, everything is a comparison and a ranking. They do not share that with us on the outside but it's there just the same. And that ego can be what is self sustaining to their career and what drives a player to play when he shouldn't.

Many people use the view of others to view themselves in their own mirror and money is a ranker. As are many other things and some people are driven by that more than anything else in their life.

I don't know where Booger ranks on the richest Americans list but you can bet he knows who's above him and just how far he needs to go to pass the next one. The one above him knows the same thing.

The only thing I know is that anyone is worth whatever they can get because the people paying them have decided they are worth it. I can show you some CEO deals that would make you sick, at least these players have shown something.

Hell, the Neiman Marcus execs are trying to get 10M in bonuses from a company going bankrupt. I doubt any shareholder thinks they're worth that.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
In my opinion, it is complete hypocrisy to call out Dak Prescott or any other Cowboys player for being “financially selfish” and “not committed to winning” by not accepting a recent contract offer.

If Jerry Jones, the absolute poster boy for sports greed and selfishness ever starts putting a 100% commitment to winning ahead of his cash register and psychopathic obsession with getting “credit”, it might be fair to call out some players for putting greed ahead of winning.

When your owner/president/GM/chief jock and socks manager puts his ego, cash grab and selfishness first, you get what we’ve been getting the last 25 years. A lot of nothing when it comes to substantive playoff success. So if we as fans are going to call out greed, selfishness, and a lack of commitment to this team’s quest to regain its former luster, let’s call out the architect and person most responsible for everything we are and are not as a team.

Change ALWAYS starts at the top. If we expect things to get better ON the field, the change and the example of a commitment to place winning ahead of greed has to start in the billionaire owners box. You know, the guy who makes one billion a year but hasn’t won a divisional playoff game since Dak Prescott was 2 years old.

If Jerry ever shows us he is really committed to winning ahead of his ego and greed, maybe we could start calling out some players too.

To top it off Jerry's ego couldn't deal with the one coach he had who could build a championship team. Who wins back-to-back SBs yet is so unhappy he allows the relationship with his head coach to disintegrate?

Well, he's had coaches he likes since then and deserves all of the credit for the results. That should make him quite happy. :rolleyes:

Big_D

Reaction score
I’m not a huge Dak fan. And have made no bones about it. Anyone who has followed me knows that. The fact you need to mention that tells me you don’t grasp what my message has been here. Or simply like others attempting to discredit the messenger cause you don’t like the message.

I’m about critiquing the Dallas Cowboys Mgmt. My message is aligned with the local media bashing of our ownership as usual.

And this was an issue where I’d have an angle to go after them either way. I was actually prepared to support the Cowboys standing firm As I expected them to cave but the outcry from our local beat writers and sports columnist influence my thoughts.

Image that Cowboy fans. Being influenced by other opinions. Something that doesn’t happen often on these forums.

Id encourage every Cowboy fan to pick up a local paper or click on to read their thoughts and how this effects Cowboys Football which swayed my opinions. It’s not just about the value of our QB but the effects of not having one moving forward.

I love how you have your finger on the pulse of the local Cowboy media like national media and news doesn't count? Or somehow they're out of the loop in this day and age of 24/7 internet news?! Or there aren't any reports that the Cowboy's sticking to their guns was the right decision? I don't need news outlets and beat writers to tell me they made a mistake when they actually made the smart move.

You seem more worried about bashing Jerry at every turn. Crying cause Jerry didn't overpay which is something he's been doing for decades. This is a welcome change after the Zeke and Lawrence and Jaylon Smith contracts. Like I said, damned if you do damned if you don't. I see a team making strides finally!! While you keep pretending this is the same Jerry from the Campo years.

You didn't want Garrett gone now he was our "best puppet", you didn't want Dak here now not having him will disrupt the locker room? LOL What's the worst that happens.. they go 8-8? Miss the playoffs?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I love how you have your finger on the pulse of the local Cowboy media like national media and news doesn't count? Or somehow they're out of the loop in this day and age of 24/7 internet news?! Or there aren't any reports that the Cowboy's sticking to their guns was the right decision? I don't need news outlets and beat writers to tell me they made a mistake when they actually made the smart move.

You seem more worried about bashing Jerry at every turn. Crying cause Jerry didn't overpay which is something he's been doing for decades. This is a welcome change after the Zeke and Lawrence and Jaylon Smith contracts. Like I said, damned if you do damned if you don't. I see a team making strides finally!! While you keep pretending this is the same Jerry from the Campo years.

You didn't want Garrett gone now he was our "best puppet", you didn't want Dak here now not having him will disrupt the locker room? LOL What's the worst that happens.. they go 8-8? Miss the playoffs?
Is there any media coverage who are claiming the Cowboys made a good decision? All I have seen thus far are some Homers who defend everything under the Star or Dak haters who didn’t want to sign him. And then there’s this segment who need to see championships before resigning him to more than our offers. It really becomes amusing.

But yet they want to discredit those who are aligning with the ones much closer to the situation than any of us are much more qualified to make determinations and assessments not as emotionally attached as many fans.

It’s apparent to me that we have fans who attempt to belittle or discredit any info or reports which are contrary to their beliefs. These are probably the same kind of fans who also dismiss scientific evidence in society.

it’s really becoming a sad state of affairs in our country and apparently with sports fandom now that they can’t be influenced by others with greater expertise, info, evidence , access and knowledge.

I’m really not interested in encountering other fans who don’t follow the local media and sports coverage of the Cowboys.

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yeah, gregg sents in with the local media and helps write the stories. you trolls.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yeah which is funny because they talk about how bad Dak is but Jalen Hurts ceiling if he ever gets there is Dak lol.
I would venture to say that hurts won’t get to Daks level. Dak IMO is very underestimated. We had backups for a while when Romo was hurt that couldn’t run this team to a win. Which is why when Romo got hurt and Dak came out and went 13-2 (I say 13-2 because if he played the last game we would have been 14-2) we were shocked and fortunate (Thank God) to have found a QB. Dak got one of the best Offensive units we have had in a while. 2014 was nice and 2015 we had a 1000 yard RB and cassel as QB. Went 4-12.. Lol.

ondaedg

Reaction score
In my opinion, it is complete hypocrisy to call out Dak Prescott or any other Cowboys player for being “financially selfish” and “not committed to winning” by not accepting a recent contract offer.

If Jerry Jones, the absolute poster boy for sports greed and selfishness ever starts putting a 100% commitment to winning ahead of his cash register and psychopathic obsession with getting “credit”, it might be fair to call out some players for putting greed ahead of winning.

When your owner/president/GM/chief jock and socks manager puts his ego, cash grab and selfishness first, you get what we’ve been getting the last 25 years. A lot of nothing when it comes to substantive playoff success. So if we as fans are going to call out greed, selfishness, and a lack of commitment to this team’s quest to regain its former luster, let’s call out the architect and person most responsible for everything we are and are not as a team.

Change ALWAYS starts at the top. If we expect things to get better ON the field, the change and the example of a commitment to place winning ahead of greed has to start in the billionaire owners box. You know, the guy who makes one billion a year but hasn’t won a divisional playoff game since Dak Prescott was 2 years old.

If Jerry ever shows us he is really committed to winning ahead of his ego and greed, maybe we could start calling out some players too.

If you’re JJ’s pet project you get a premature contract ala Jaylon.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Don’t JJ have to share his profits with the other owners.. Part of the profit sharing program. So teams like the browns can stay alive. national revenue..

Some but not all. Jerry once sued (IRRC) the NFL under antitrust laws. He keeps 100% of all merchandise sales. That's why everyone who wants to take a tour of the stadium is funneled like cattle though the gift shop.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I really don't think people understand the salary cap. Dallas' player expenses are fixed by the league collective bargaining agreement. They can spend the same amount as every other team with very little variation. You can give out more cash this year by giving out signing bonuses and such but then you have to be below the cap in future years to make it up.

Just to be super clear: Jerry's expenses over the long term don't change regardless of what he pays Dak. Every penny that Dak gets comes out of some other player's pocket in the long term.

On Jerry's side, this isn't about being cheap. This is about winning. Feel free to criticize him if you think that paying Dak 40m a year or something gives the team a better chance to win but don't call him cheap. It just makes you look uneducated.

Jerry and son are cheap where it hurts the most and where there is no salary cap: Hiring a head coach. The other issue is Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett were not allowed to hire their own staff, Jerry and son did that for them.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Definitely not into criticism on Jerry Jones. He's done an absolute turnaround for this franchise which cost him millions of dollars. It seems as though no matter what he does, the haters will continue their sobbing.

I don't blame the Jones' not giving Prescott what he wants. He hasn't proven himself. They've also given two huge contracts to Dlaw/Ewok only to see their top performance & numbers decline.

Why blame the owner for something you, as the fan, wouldn't do either.

That said, yes Dak is greedy turning down $35 million per offer.

Hadenough

Reaction score

Jerry is a business man. Not just an NFL owner. Most of these owners have other businesses. They make a ton of money but they also employ a lot of people giving them good jobs. Jerry wants to win but his issue is he can't see himself as a meddling GM. I think he is finally learning with the help of his son Stephen. Jerry has always treated players fair and the Dak contract I view as Daks mistake. Jerry made more than a fair offer if it was over 30 mil a year.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I agree. But this thread isn’t about Jerry’s money. It’s about his priorities. If we’re going to criticize a Cowboys player for not putting winning first, it’s hypocritical not to call Jerry out first and foremost for not putting winning ahead of his ego and greed. Him being the center of the organization the last 25 years has proven it doesn’t work. That’s pretty selfish to keep doing things his way.
He wasted 10 years of all our lives on a mediocre coach. I could have told him Garrett wouldn't win nothing 7 or 8 years ago.

Brax

Reaction score
This thread isn’t about the cap. It’s about priorities. If we’re going to criticize a Cowboy player as being “financially selfish” and not committed to winning, shouldn’t we first call out the most selfish person in the organization?
Bob, unfortunately Jerry has over paid in both financial and in Draft capital to get or keep players he believes in many times to the detriment of the team. But Jerry being greedy really isn't true when it comes to the players or the team. Jerry being a poor poor GM as far as talent goes, that is true IMHO. If Jerry was cheap he would of used the non exclusive tag on Dak. Fact is Jerry wants Dak at a Cap manageable figure that is fair to both. If you believe 35.5 Million as reported is cheap and not fair for a player that really hasn't achieved anything in the NFL you are entitle to that believe but it isn't true. Dak is also allowed to ask for what he wants to play be it 25 million or 50 million but in the end Jerry holds the final say on what he will accept due to the cap restrictions for the DC. In the end I believe Jerry will pay Dak because he thinks Dak is a franchise QB and his time before the great beyond calls him is very short and he knows it, so winning now is the greatest priority for Jerry . Your belief doesn't hold water IMHO but you are fully entitled to it. Stay safe, hopefully we see some games this year.