The reason Dak isn't signed yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Why do you think the deal isn't fair. he just want the shorter deal, by most accounts, to me its a win for both. if he doesn't satisfy then in 4 years, it's probably time to walk anyways. that's 9 years.

People don't think it's fair because of the "players are greedy" narrative they need to believe. The offer the Cowboys made wasn't a good one. They offered the same guaranteed money in 5 years as Goff got in 4. I kept peddling that Agent's Take article on Dak's contract where the guy compared other QB contracts, looked at cash flow, etc. He said Dak should be looking for way more guaranteed if he were to sign a 5-year deal (at least the high 120s). No one around here wanted to have that discussion about what the market actually was and kept beating their "greedy" drum. The article also said that a voidable or non-franchise 5th year could be an option and lo and behold we hear that Dak wanted no franchise language as well. Anyways, as Watson proved later, the Cowboys offered below market. So now negotiations start at a higher level.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Why do you think the deal isn't fair. he just want the shorter deal, by most accounts, to me its a win for both. if he doesn't satisfy then in 4 years, it's probably time to walk anyways. that's 9 years.
the cap hit is why. Contracts are usually not structured the way Dak is asking. I am no capologist, but to me, all sides need top start getting real.

Rayman70

Reaction score
People don't think it's fair because of the "players are greedy" narrative they need to believe. The offer the Cowboys made wasn't a good one. They offered the same guaranteed money in 5 years as Goff got in 4. I kept peddling that Agent's Take article on Dak's contract where the guy compared other QB contracts, looked at cash flow, etc. He said Dak should be looking for way more guaranteed if he were to sign a 5-year deal (at least the high 120s). No one around here wanted to have that discussion about what the market actually was and kept beating their "greedy" drum. The article also said that a voidable or non-franchise 5th year could be an option and lo and behold we hear that Dak wanted no franchise language as well. Anyways, as Watson proved later, the Cowboys offered below market. So now negotiations start at a higher level.
Dak is definitely worth the money he is asking. Greed has nothing to do with what he is asking and at least from this fans perspective, I don't share the narrative other fans do. BUT the years are kind of a big deal. They need to iron that out.

plymkr

Reaction score
so let me ask you, is all the wins and losses during the past 4 years (partial 5) on Dak. is he solely responsible for every games' outcome? and you can't nit pick one period to make a meaningless case, just because that period for what ever reason fits into your agenda..........

the least of cowboys problems is Dak prescott, although as the QB, he is front and center and gets all the accolades and all the blame, such is the NFL. except for Dak haters, who give the win credits to everybody else, but blame dak for all the losses. I can't tell you how many times, a series here and there has been scrutinzed. a pass here or there. a game here or there. as if no other QB every has any of those....

2019 was one of the most strange football years in dallas I ever remember. a lame duck coaching staff, on the last year of their contract, in a win superbowl or bust situation. I remember coaches screaming at each other on the sideline. I remember Jones saying, that Moore report to him. a first year OC, with all of 1 year coaching experience was in charge of Dallas offense and reported to Jones. I remember the coach blowing 3 games with crappy calls. I bet if we hadSean Payton, McVey, Reid or another half decent coach,we would have been 11-5 easily. coaching matters. did you forget the Minn game, with a chance to pull it out in the end and we decided to run the ball when we had 45 yards rushing in 3.5 quarters and over 400 yards passing....brilliant....did you forget the Saints game? was that one of the most brilliant coaching you have ever seen out of garrett!!! NOT.......how about the Patriots game.....well, who can blame garrett for getting outcoached by billicheck.....coaching matters.....

we all, including you on this forum screamed, complained, incessantly wanting Garrett fired. yet now, seemingly only one year in the past, we all forgot and lazer focused on Dak!!!..... tell me the ice-your-kicker coach had no hands in any of Dallas losses and I will shut up!!! tell me Linehan was a great OC and I will shut up!!! Tell me Moore was brilliant in 2019 and I will shut up!!! tell me 2019 was a wonderful year in Dallas coaching circle and I will shut up!!!

and, lets have some context to the record in 2020. first 5 games, we played 3 playoff teams. kept it close on a historically bad defense....HISTORICALLY bad. defense gave up scores allowed other teams to win in the end. to have been that close in those games, having a chance is fantastic onto its own. if the defense would give up 33 points per game instead of 36 plus, we would have as easily been 4-1.....if the defense wouldn't give up 50 yard run to a WR at the end of the game, we would have won...... context matters....

against the giants in comes Andy....blows an 8 point lead in a game he was handed against a crappy giants team, only to have Gallup save his arse with one of the most acrobatic catches our WRs did all year.

and he lost to average teams like AZ, WFT...in fact got blown out, where the game was over in the first half.....got blown out and manhandled by Ravens...we had no chance in those games what so ever. yet, he managed, to barely beat three 4 win teams, with their back up QBs, all of that with the help of 9 turnovers...so if you expect we play 4 win teams all of next year, then our statement on Andy et all stand....otherwise its just a bunch of agenda driven BS.

the problem with this team is not the offense....its the defense. fix the defense......
Great post. You still haven't answered why Dak has a 25% winning percentage in 2020 and the other starters at QB had a 36% winning percentage. It's the same team. In fact I would argue we were a weaker team down the stretch as far as injuries. So with a weaker roster how did Dalton, GG, and Nooch combine for a higher winning percentage than Dak?

Is Dak to blame for the losses, nope. Is the other 3 QBs to blame for the 11 losses, nope. It's a team game and if Dak eats up 20-25% of the salary cap we will have a weaker team.

But with the same exact weak team, bad coaching and injuries in 2020 Dak put up a winning percentage of 25% and the other QBs, 2 of them never played in the NFL, put up a winning percentage of 36%.

Explain that to me and then explain how having less wins equals more money.

visionary

Reaction score
I never said Dak is peyton manning, you dak detractors have premature ejaculation problem.....I said Manning was 0-4 in the playoffs. that record is not an indication of what he can do in the future...neither is the 1-2.

on the one hand you say he hasn't done it yet, which means your expectations are he should have already won a superbowl....and then use that to say because of that he is not capable in the future..

how the heck does that make sense. and if that's your logic, then how does Andy Dalton make sense?

you dak detractors are all over the place....ALL OVER

that's the point

that was Peyton Manning not your homie Dak

one guy won 2 SBs the other wont sniff even one

and yes, when you’re giving someone’s example to defend someone else you ARE comparing them

Dre11

Reaction score
the cap hit is why. Contracts are usually not structured the way Dak is asking. I am no capologist, but to me, all sides need top start getting real.

The cap doesn't matter when the market has set your price. In any line of work, you get paid what the market is in your field.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
in particular? no...but we won't be able to fix the defense. How you plan on stopping opposing teams? Dak can't play defense. Spending most of our resources at QB is a bad idea, bad plan.
Rebuild defense thru draft on cheap rookie contracts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great post. You still haven't answered why Dak has a 25% winning percentage in 2020 and the other starters at QB had a 36% winning percentage. It's the same team. In fact I would argue we were a weaker team down the stretch as far as injuries. So with a weaker roster how did Dalton, GG, and Nooch combine for a higher winning percentage than Dak?

Is Dak to blame for the losses, nope. Is the other 3 QBs to blame for the 11 losses, nope. It's a team game and if Dak eats up 20-25% of the salary cap we will have a weaker team.

But with the same exact weak team, bad coaching and injuries in 2020 Dak put up a winning percentage of 25% and the other QBs, 2 of them never played in the NFL, put up a winning percentage of 36%.

I’ll be happy to answer. Daks 1-3 record ; three losses were to playoff teams.

And we didn’t beat a team with a winning record the entire season.

I’d certainly have liked our chances with Dak not being swept by Washington and in Cincy. Those 2 wins alone would have won division out right.

And measuring our QB’s production and value isn’t always directly related to the teams success.

While paying Dak will hinder our Cap ability at least this year we can revamp defense in draft under Rookie contracts.

Our juggernaut top 5-10 offense could carry a slightly improved defense to a division title. Maybe more if we hit big on a couple draft picks. And a couple recent picks continue to rise.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think it comes down to the cowboys FO trying to show the league they are smarter than the rest, Stephen saying they're not going to be market setters, Jerry bragging about attendance during pandemic, among other things I cant mention
this look about right? Daddy and Stevie?lol
tumblr_p1soslS8Ua1u501aoo3_400.gif

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The reason Dak isn't signed yet is that it's still early in the negotiation process. They have the entire spring to figure this contract out.

csirl

Reaction score
Kraft wanted to keep him. They had the means, but BB pushed him out and Brady didn't feel wanted. SO YEAH, he wanted out at that point.

What influence will the Brady situation have on Jerry? Think about it. His friend Joel Glazer - after not getting anywhere for years with a succession of not quite good enough QBs, signs an elite QB and BINGO, wins SB on the first attempt.....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I’d certainly have liked our chances with Dak not being swept by Washington and in Cincy. Those 2 wins alone would have won division out right.

And measuring our QB’s production and value isn’t always directly related to the teams success.

While paying Dak will hinder our Cap ability at least this year we can revamp defense in draft under Rookie contracts.

Our juggernaut top 5-10 offense could carry a slightly improved defense to a division title. Maybe more if we hit big on a couple draft picks. And a couple recent picks continue to rise.

I don't see this as the answer. I mean, if you can win a division but not be good enough to beat a team with a winning record, how is that good enough?

I don't see it as reason to screw our cap situation. JMO

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

he was 2-3. part of the main reason is historically bad....sorry I misspelled...HISTORICALLY BAD defense, on pace to give up the most points ever in NFL HISTORY...they ended up shattering the cowboys worst defense ever. even worse than campo years....

and Dak played against three playoff teams.... Dalton won against 3 4 win teams playing against back up QBs....Dalton got killed, annihilated against average to good competition like WFT, AZ and Ravens. those games were over in the first quarter.

so it becomes a matter of contribution and importance to the team. its a QB driven league. we saw clearly before our very own eyes, as the season progressed, what Dak meant to the competitiveness of the team, va. Dalton's of the world....with the latter we absolutely had no chance against any average team....

context matters..... barely beating a team with 4 wins and a back up QB isn't the same as playing against a playoff team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't see this as the answer. I mean, if you can win a division but not be good enough to beat a team with a winning record, how is that good enough?

I don't see it as reason to screw our cap situation. JMO
The bigger question ; is Dak not good enough or the team?

Dak has shown the ability to beat teams with winning records. The team hadn’t recently.

Hopefully our football guys in the front office and on the sidelines are better evaluators than we are.

Unfortunately the fact we didn’t get a deal done in recent years is going to cost us more to sign our QB or completely lose him. Neither of which is good for Cowboys Football.

And my response was not intended to be “ the answer” but merely answering his question.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
that's the point

that was Peyton Manning not your homie Dak

one guy won 2 SBs the other wont sniff even one

and yes, when you’re giving someone’s example to defend someone else you ARE comparing them
my point is, we won't don't want to give Dak anything and say he is good, because he was 1-2 in the playoffs. he didn't win championships....

and my point is the book on Dak is not finished. you are comparing an 18 year career to a 5 year career and complaining why its not the same...does that even make sense?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The bigger question ; is Dak not good enough or the team?

Dak has shown the ability to beat teams with winning records. The team hadn’t recently.

Hopefully our football guys in the front office and on the sidelines are better evaluators than we are.

Unfortunately the fact we didn’t get a deal done in recent years is going to cost us more to sign our QB or completely lose him. Neither of which is good for Cowboys Football.

And my response was not intended to be “ the answer” but merely answering his question.

Stop lying....Dak is 6-20 against teams with winning records and 29-25 since his rookie season!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Stop lying....Dak is 6-20 against teams with winning records and 29-25 since his rookie season!
Who’s lying? By your own admission here states Dak has won 29 times against teams with a winning record.

The bigger question is how many of those games do we win without Dak?

plymkr

Reaction score

Didn't Dalton and company lose to playoff teams as well? Washington and Pittsburgh were playoff teams so does that mean that GG and Dalton's play did not factor into those losses.
I get what you're saying, I'm not sure I agree with everything you're saying but I'm not going to say you're wrong. I agree that W's and L's are not a measuring stick for a QB and it's not fair to measure how good or bad a QB is by W's and L's. I guess my point is that since the 3-0 start of 2019 the whole team, Dak included, has been average to below average. This team has not progressed and in fact regressed. I feel paying Dak 42 million for 3 years will hinder the growth of the team due to the salary cap problems that contract will create. And since 2019 there really isn't anything to be excited about, including Dak. Yes he put up big numbers but part of putting up big numbers was putting us in a hole and digging out of it.

I'd rather go 3-13 or 2-14 next year and purge the roster and then rebuild than go the next 3 years on the 6-10 9-7 playoff bubble and if we make it to the playoffs getting bounced. To me losing a game with Dak being superman and bringing us back from 24 points down to losing by 3 is the same feeling as losing by 17 without Dak. A loss is a loss.

I felt no different losing to the Rams in dramatic fashion as I did losing to the Cardinals or Ravens in a blowout. A loss is a loss. If Dak's contract causes us to lose, but lose in an exciting way, then it feels the same as losing with GG in a blowout.

I'm not saying you're wrong bro, I'm just thinking we have different perspectives of the teams problems and how to deal with those problems moving forward.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who’s lying? By your own admission here states Dak has won 29 times against teams with a winning record.

The bigger question is how many of those games do we win without Dak?
(Dak has shown the ability to beat teams with winning records.)Quote....

No, he hasn't!
Please leave the yellow DAK propaganda on your CPU bud!

Status
Not open for further replies.