The reason why Malik Davis got zero carries when Pollard went down

Big_D

Reaction score
Malik Davis only had 38 carries the entire season.
I can appreciate his self belief but I won't pretend we lost that game because 38 carry on the season RB3 didn't get carries.

Davis isnt a pounder. He is a 5 11 200 back.
Let's stop pretending we left Derick Henry on the bench.
You already knew Zeke wasn't doing anything. Time to explore whatever options you got left. He was a RB and he was dressed. Maybe he doesn't but we already knew what wasn't working. Can't keep trying to pound that square peg into a round hole. 38 carries on the season should tell you at least you got fresh legs for exactly that purpose.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Zeke was leaving too much meat on the bone.
yeah there was one play in particular in the 2nd half. It’s unfortunate because against an air tight defense like SF, you have to capitalize on those few chances they give you to make big plays.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Yeah man, we needed him too. I know he had to be considered a liability, but I'd have still like to have seen him get some carries. Zeke had already made it clear he wasn't going to be the answer.
I hear ya, just the element of surprise couldve been helpful for Davis and the Cowboys. It was worth seeing if he could bust a few holes.

Reactions: CWR

glimmerman

Reaction score
I was mad myself because that little dump off that Pollard was injured on was there all day. The way the niners were playing defense it was left open. Malik could have easily done that job. Heck Elliot could have done it but they left Elliot in to pass protect and had Dak forcing the ball to Lamb. Hilton hadn’t been there long enough to have Daks trust. He had one deep catch and that was it. Moores decision to abandon the run and not use Malik was a terrible decision.

blueblood70

Reaction score
All this time I thought Davis didn't play at the 49ers because the coaches didn't trust him to pick up the blitz and things like that against a defense as good as San Fran's.

But he still should have gotten carries. Dallas' offense had zero balance in that game after Pollard got hurt.
I don't believe any of that, that's nonsense!

I mean get this if a guys on the team the entire season and he's active for the playoffs,, he's active for the game we're discussing, and he's at a position in which now we've got nothing going on the field, it's a one and done game and he doesn't get one single carry??!

that's not gonna fly with me if you don't trust the guy he should have never been on the roster not on the active roster you had all year to figure that out now he's here you play the guy if he's active on the roster you play him.... I don't care what dog house he was in or how weak he is against the blitz, the guy deserved a lot of carries in that game and not after Pollard went down this is the problem with this coaching staff they should have been using Malik Davis more and if anything the 49ers wouldn't expected it..

hell, I would have probably came out the first series of the game and let that be Malik Davis' series and get him going in the game that would have been like a really nice surprise that the 49ers didn't game plan for think outside the box but if anything after Pollard went down Malik Davis should have got probably 8 or 10 carries they gave up they waved the right white flag they said you know what we rather lose a game then let a player get on the field because he said something to hurt our feelings.... I can go out on a limb here and say that the fact it Malik Davis is still here and yet Kellen Moore the offensive line coach, the running back coach, and many guys are gone tells me it was more them than him. I mean why would he still be here if he's just a Jag a guy they don't trust why is he on the roster why did they even bring him to camp?

I mean if you need anymore proof how long did it take for Kellen Moore to finally start using Tony Pollard more I mean it's more of a pattern here or Davis the same way it was for Tony Pollard to try to break into this lineup. I mean the fact that kevonte Turpin wasn't blended in at least a little more into the offense to me that's a pattern, it's proof if Malik Davis did something so bad and he was so bad he would not be here anymore. we didn't need him, we drafted some guys, picked up some guys off the street, there is no reason to have Malik Davis on this team if he was as bad as this thread is trying to insinuate

CWR

Reaction score
I hear ya, just the element of surprise couldve been helpful for Davis and the Cowboys. It was worth seeing if he could bust a few holes.

I'm in complete agreement. It was frustrating watching Zeke labor.

kskboys

Reaction score
If Davis truly couldn't pass block, then he had no business being on the team.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Who could've possibly told this to Broadus? Obviously no defensive coaches. Moore? I doubt anybody talks to that dude like that
I wonder about that as well. That its taken 6 months for this to come out, not even a whisper about it in all this time, hmmmmm. I too was confused/disappointed why when Pollard went down there was still no Davis. I have liked him when he has gotten a chance to play, and thought that would have been a great opportunity for him to step up. If this story is true, plus add the FA signing at RB as well as drafting a RB - why wouldn't they have just cut Davis this offseason.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I don't know the other side of the story. But I know I don't completely trust Broaddus at all.

I wish Davis would chime in on this but I doubt we ever hear anything.

Davis > Zeke in that SF game after Pollard went down. At least give him a chance.
We wouldn't get line 2 until he's off this team!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If Davis truly couldn't pass block, then he had no business being on the team.
We can't make that the only reason to make him be off the team. I mean pollard isn't GREAT at it either, should he be cut? If someone isn't good at something, that's up to the coaches to see the need and fill it. I know it should be a RB there as zeke always was back there, but if you can't do that, get a TE back there or something

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I wonder about that as well. That its taken 6 months for this to come out, not even a whisper about it in all this time, hmmmmm. I too was confused/disappointed why when Pollard went down there was still no Davis. I have liked him when he has gotten a chance to play, and thought that would have been a great opportunity for him to step up. If this story is true, plus add the FA signing at RB as well as drafting a RB - why wouldn't they have just cut Davis this offseason.
I posted it earlier.

Who benefits from this? Casting a shadow on a backup running back?

Broaddus is a former scout. Im sure his "inside" info comes from scouts currently working for the team.

Its not a huge leap to discern where this info most likely came from and why.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
This should not be shocking. Peete was Zeke's handler. His job was to manage Zeke as much as it was to coach the RB. Zeke describes him as a father figure.

The story goes that Malik Davis went to a coach and said he should get snaps when Zeke was clearly gimping around. There are three people that he could have went to and I do not see how it is bad for him. Peete is by far the most likely person Davis would have went to. I can see why he would take issue with Davis. That doesn't matter though.

If he went to Peete or Moore and they thought he was out of place, well, they are gone now and Davis is still on the roster. Results speak most clearly.
If he went to MM, then it would have been him going to the top to complain about them and again, they are gone now and he is still a Cowboy.