The reason why Malik Davis got zero carries when Pollard went down

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Probably wasn't a Skip Peete call but Zeke was his boy, and it was Skip trying to fuel the narrative that Pollard couldn't shoulder a heavier load. Doubt Skip was much of an advocate for Davis either if it came at the expense of Zeke.
Maybe. I’m not sure how he viewed it but his job was dependent on how well Pollard and the backups do. Maybe Zeke but Zeke was always gonna get cut or salary reduced so it seems crazy to die on that hill.

Zeke was a leader on this team. When healthy one of our best backs. Pollard showed he should get more carried but their duo punch worked.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is exactly what's wrong with the Cowboys. Don't give backups a chance to earn playing time. Davis was rotting on the bench while Zeke was looking slow. Typical cowboys way to play the guy who makes more money.

Not entirely true. Bland got a chance. They could’ve easily signed a vet corner but they gave it to him when Lewis went down. They started Dennis Houston week 1….they starters Terrence Steele when 99 percent of this fanbase said it was stupid.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
He was clearly good enough to start over Zeke, but this is a country club where a made man keeps the top spot regardless of performance. Not having Zeke start would have exposed Jerry for the bad decisions regarding Zeke's contract and Jerry can't have that.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But Malik hasn't been cut, so what does that mean? It means Malik is good enough to keep on the team, but the front office wanted to make sure Zeke got all the carries in order to justify his $16 million dollar salary, even if it cost the team. It was 'sink or swim' with Zeke come playoffs time, and sadly, Zeke sunk, thus costing the Cowboys.
The ints didn't help either. That was why we lost, not Zeke.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Pollard played at the beginning of the first half so I wouldn't expect Zeke to have tired at all in the first half. In the 2nd half, before we went to the two minute offense we only had 4 offensive series. It makes complete sense that you didn't go to a guy who had 38 carries all year in a win or go home game with that few series who likely wasn't even part of the game plan all week. Also, SF has a great pass rush and I don't even know if Davis can pass protect, but I'm sure he can't do it like Zeke. I'm all for the idea that maybe with Pollard over Zeke we at least have a chance to win that game. But Davis is just a guy who gets the #3 RB spot on an NFL roster because no one else is better and because he plays STs. I'm not even sure he makes the 53 this year and if we only go 3 RBs I don't think he will. Lastly, I think Broaddus is kind of a clown that just makes up half the crap he says. He didn't even seem to have accurate inside info when he was writing for the team website. I'm sure he has his sources, but I'm not convinced he relays the info he is told accurately.

Jarntt

Reaction score
He was clearly good enough to start over Zeke, but this is a country club where a made man keeps the top spot regardless of performance. Not having Zeke start would have exposed Jerry for the bad decisions regarding Zeke's contract and Jerry can't have that.
So shortly after, Jerry turns around and outright cuts Zeke in an attempt to keep the ruse about Zeke's contract going... :huh:

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I like Malik and feel he is very capable of being a valuable piece in the RB rotation. I don't believe all this crap about not putting in hard work if he ain't gonna play much. I give him more brains than that. Like his running style and hope to see more of him this season without Zeke being pampered.
I have to agree. If he said all the things Broaddus says he said, he probably would have been gone by now. Once again, news at it's finest.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Insane if true. Shocked he didn’t get cut after that.

Wrong there's an old saying I got from one of my parents you know bite your nose off to spite your face you literally needed Malik Davis in that game and I don't care what dog house you have a player in in a playoff game you don't leave a bullet in the gun Malik Davis was necessary and needed and if I was Malik I'd be upset too I think the guys Got Talent and like Tony Pollard I don't know if it's Kellen Moore or who's issue it is a putting guys on the field way too late he should have got a lot more snaps during the season and he should have got more snaps in that playoff game you're saying the guy should get cut just because he's feeling down and upset because he's not being utilized when he's looking at Ezekiel Elliott and Tony Pollard are constantly injured they're getting hurt and yet he's not getting more snaps??

I'd be upset too and even if he said something wrong you do not leave a guy on the bench and hurt your team because you're trying to teach a player a lesson that makes no sense!

I blame Kellen Moore for most of this but we'll find out it could have been a running backs coach it could be someone else but as long as it took to get Tony Pollard more snaps and now you got a guy like Malik Davis who has flashed at times you just leave him on the bench when you're struggling in the run game and your guy goes down and you need a guy just because you don't like his attitude during the week no this is the playoffs you put everyone in that could help you period end of story you wanna have a talk with the guy you wanna find him that's fine but you do not leave them on the bench to go straight zeke at 2 yards per carry and even TP was struggling..nope disagree cut LMAO you put he guy in hes wanting to prove himself that motivated player with shot in the big lights and you leave him sitting..

kskboys

Reaction score
The story doesn't make much sense. Week 2 of the playoffs seems like a weird time for a 3rd string RB to complain about opportunities. I think they just didn't play him in that game because they were scared to throw an inexperienced RB into the fire in a playoff road environment. They would rather trust a washed up veteran like Zeke at that point in hoping he could carry them for a half like his younger days.
I think Davis is a poor pass blocker. Poor pass blockers no longer have a place in the NFL.

Praxit

Reaction score
..all I know, when TP went down. We lost that ACE in the pocket.

Moore failed to think out of the box. Since, Zeke doesn't have the open maneuverability, that TP does.

Logical move, would have been to try ends with Malik.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Moore failed to think out of the box. Since, Zeke doesn't have the open maneuverability, that TP does.

Take a skilled player off the team and damn do we get exposed….

BlindFaith

Reaction score
So who would benefit the most from this leaking out? Putting in doubt Davis and his potential attitude?

Broaddus was a scout. Probably has connections to other current scouts in the org.

Im not sayin, but Im sayin...

blueblood70

Reaction score

Moore is gone because of that...Malik no matter what he may of said deserved playing time, Turpin could have been used.. KM hey zeke for 2YPC, WE good... Il argue before TP went down 3.8 isnt great should have been more creative from jump street.

lostar2009

Reaction score
not sure what there is to wonder then about if true. The guy stops working hard because the staff doesnt use him enough? yeah, that would be the minimum thing I would do. We will see what his atitude is this year.... he certainly doesn't have a whole lot of pull so I would suggest to him to work hard and shut up.
Issue here it was clear that Zeke was getting his snaps cut all year. Malik was the 3rd back on the roster. He should've gotten some looks is what it seem like.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Coaching staff might not have liked it but Davis is still here and Moore and Peete are elsewhere.

Peete was a glorified babysitter for Zeke. Who knows what goes through Moore's head when it comes to player politics. Probably akin to Garrett which is somewhat obtuse.

Either way they are gone and MM doesn't seem petty like that.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
All this time I thought Davis didn't play at the 49ers because the coaches didn't trust him to pick up the blitz and things like that against a defense as good as San Fran's.

But he still should have gotten carries. Dallas' offense had zero balance in that game after Pollard got hurt.