The reason why Malik Davis got zero carries when Pollard went down

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So many fans have felt and said there is much football politics going on within the Dallas Cowboys, and it starts at the top. This is proof of that. Jerry wanted to justify playing his $16 million dollar RB, even if he's not the best choice on the field.
agree, politics, favorites, the players jerry has anointed as stars, while ignoring other players who should be playing more.

I think davis was not a favorite, and jerry was still trying to prove zeke was still worth the contract. and it may have cost dallas a trip to nfccg.

This is a small reason why dallas never gets past the div round, and many teams operate in the same fashion, but the jones boys are "over the top".

Creeper

Reaction score
I would like some confirmation of this story. I find it hard to believe this is what actually happened.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I don't know the other side of the story. But I know I don't completely trust Broaddus at all.

I wish Davis would chime in on this but I doubt we ever hear anything.

Davis > Zeke in that SF game after Pollard went down. At least give him a chance.
Davis was chiming in during Pollard's interview...

I don’t think that’s the case. I believe Zeke was a better all around back than Davis.
Zeke may be better "all around," but Malik is better at the running part.

CWR

Reaction score
Yeah I agree with the above. This can't be the whole story. I know he is a "nobody" and not a second round pick like Bossman or Trysten Hill but he has a point that he wants to be the guy they go to in an emergency like that. If they don't trust him, don't believe he is a hard worker or don't see results when he is in the game then he should have already been cut.

The one play he was in Dak was nearly decapitated. I personally believe it was more about his lack of protection/blocking than anything else.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The guy stops working hard because the staff doesnt use him enough?
Fact not in evidence.
Did Malik Davis, or *anyone else*, say that Malik stopped working hard?

The observable fact was Zeke wasn't looking good, in limited action Malik had better YPC, but when Pollard went down, it was all Zeke and no Malik.

Why are they still holding his rights? Spite? His point before the game is all the more relevant after the game. Why is he on the team if they're unwilling to play him when they really need more RB snaps?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So he was asking for an opportunity when it was clear zeke was done and that's a perceived bad thing? Maybe some tact and coaching on self awareness and how to articulate his view would have been warranted but he should have gotten a chance...I don't get it
So he should of just sat, said nothing .....and the result would of been the same. This team/organization appears has a way of picking who plays and it's not always on talent. MM and KM should have been asked...."when it was evident that the 9er's were comfortable handling Zeke what was your Plan B?"

We appear happier with non-dissent 'yes-sir' attitude rather than a player who's eager and busting to get on the field.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I got into a big dust up with my DB Coach in college one week about not playing me because of "seniority". Long story short an injury happened I finally got to play put up 13 tackles (11 solo) from the slot, and started every game the rest of my eligibility.

Point is, I think Malik thought he was better than Zeke, and realized it didn't matter if he was because Zeke was even starting over Pollard. My issue is the coaches not being professional enough to play the youngster when his opportunity came due to them being upset with his attitude. Malik was right he should've played more, and not everyone is as calm as Pollard to wait quitely when they should be playing.

I wasn't a fan of Skip Peete either.
Yep, folks think I hate on Zeke but the real issue came from the coaching staff and undoubtedly the FO that kept trying to treat Zeke like he was still a dynamic difference maker and force feeding him as if the offense should be ran through him.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Fact not in evidence.
Did Malik Davis, or *anyone else*, say that Malik stopped working hard?

The observable fact was Zeke wasn't looking good, in limited action Malik had better YPC, but when Pollard went down, it was all Zeke and no Malik.

Why are they still holding his rights? Spite? His point before the game is all the more relevant after the game. Why is he on the team if they're unwilling to play him when they really need more RB snaps?
Well yeah obviously details are missing and we are left to presume....

I like Malik so we will see

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The story doesn't make much sense. Week 2 of the playoffs seems like a weird time for a 3rd string RB to complain about opportunities. I think they just didn't play him in that game because they were scared to throw an inexperienced RB into the fire in a playoff road environment. They would rather trust a washed up veteran like Zeke at that point in hoping he could carry them for a half like his younger days.
I agree. Didn’t trust him to pass block and stuck with Zeke.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think most players would be frustrated and feel like Davis. You dont cut a guy for being right. As usual the front office was a year late in letting Zeke go.
It’s the biggest game of the year and your third string running back closes that time to ask “why work hard?”. Like I said I don’t totally buy this honestly but if it did happen yeah I can see why he would get into the dog house.

BossRhino

Reaction score
That doesn’t seem like a Skip call to me but who knows. Hard to tell who makes those decisions with this team.
Probably wasn't a Skip Peete call but Zeke was his boy, and it was Skip trying to fuel the narrative that Pollard couldn't shoulder a heavier load. Doubt Skip was much of an advocate for Davis either if it came at the expense of Zeke.

Big_D

Reaction score
This is exactly what's wrong with the Cowboys. Don't give backups a chance to earn playing time. Davis was rotting on the bench while Zeke was looking slow. Typical cowboys way to play the guy who makes more money.
And it’s not just the money but the reputation and the complete overvalue from the front office. And yet some still want that back including the jacazz owner. It’s absolutely ridiculous!