The RKG

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
garrett's insistence on brining on RKG and rid the team of malcontents and those who don't buy into it has had direct effect on this team. all we have to do is look around the league. in Miami, Wallace quits on the game in the middle of the game. Cleveland is a mess (and some want to bring in josh Gordon). Chicago is a mess, and they have a bunch of former cowboys, so I don't think its a coincidence (Bennett, continue to be yourself and your teams continue to suck).

garrett's insistence on bringing people who love football, live, breath and want to play football has changed the mentality. every team goes through ups and downs during the season and we have seen this team respond as opposed to fold. latest was the game against Philly, when we were up 21, and then fell behind 24-21. no panic, they came out, focused and finished the job. its the RKG mentality. tough minded. focused. un-wavering.

NFL games for the most part go into the 4th quarter. there are pivotal moments in the game that change things. its the little things that make a difference. and we have seen that change in dallas.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
garrett's insistence on brining on RKG and rid the team of malcontents and those who don't buy into it has had direct effect on this team. all we have to do is look around the league. in Miami, Wallace quits on the game in the middle of the game. Cleveland is a mess (and some want to bring in josh Gordon). Chicago is a mess, and they have a bunch of former cowboys, so I don't think its a coincidence (Bennett, continue to be yourself and your teams continue to suck).

garrett's insistence on bringing people who love football, live, breath and want to play football has changed the mentality. every team goes through ups and downs during the season and we have seen this team respond as opposed to fold. latest was the game against Philly, when we were up 21, and then fell behind 24-21. no panic, they came out, focused and finished the job. its the RKG mentality. tough minded. focused. un-wavering.

NFL games for the most part go into the 4th quarter. there are pivotal moments in the game that change things. its the little things that make a difference. and we have seen that change in dallas.

This is a polarizing debate. There's a group on this site that will give everyone except Garrett credit for this year, and there's a group that will give Garrett all the credit for this year. I think credit goes to the players, coaches, including the Head Coach, and even ol' Jerry for this wonderful season. Garrett has provided the leadership and guidance, which is what a good head coach is supposed to do.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is a polarizing debate. There's a group on this site that will give everyone except Garrett credit for this year, and there's a group that will give Garrett all the credit for this year. I think credit goes to the players, coaches, including the Head Coach, and even ol' Jerry for this wonderful season. Garrett has provided the leadership and guidance, which is what a good head coach is supposed to do.

I agree, it is not one part of the pie it is the pie as a whole. A lot of people in this organization have done a great job of putting this together.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point. The "RKG" thing got mocked widely for a couple years there, but it looks like we're reaping the benefit of bringing in the right kinds of guys here over the last several seasons, after all. There are a bunch of leaders on both sides of the ball in Dallas now, which wasn't the case back in 2010.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Garrett is good in the role he is currently in.

More hands off on game day and just managing through out the week.

If you can hide him behind talent and good coordinators who are allowed to make adjustments to his horrible passing schemes then you can get away with him as your coach.

LandryFan

Reaction score
Garrett is good in the role he is currently in.

More hands off on game day and just managing through out the week.

If you can hide him behind talent and good coordinators who are allowed to make adjustments to his horrible passing schemes then you can get away with him as your coach.

You are obviously in the group that thinks he deserves no credit. To each his own.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Garrett is a very good coach, who has staying power unlike Harbaugh whose style can wear out real fast.
His commitment to the RKG is absolutely the single biggest reason the franchise has begun to turn around.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You are obviously in the group that thinks he deserves no credit. To each his own.

I give him credit for keeping this team focused and not unraveling when something goes bad.

As far as in game coaching it's no coincidence we are much better without him calling plays.

We still had to deal with his crap passing designs but over the last month the coaches have adjusted and finally started exposing teams over the middle of the field after years of just simply not adjusting to teams who load the box and press us out wide.

It's been nice watching us not have to rely on Romo to make plays outside of the scheme in order for us to win.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Garrett is a very good coach, who has staying power unlike Harbaugh whose style can wear out real fast.
His commitment to the RKG is absolutely the single biggest reason the franchise has begun to turn around.

I disagree.

Having players we wanted in the draft get picked and us settling on O-line + Linehan > RKG

LandryFan

Reaction score
I give him credit for keeping this team focused and not unraveling when something goes bad.

As far as in game coaching it's no coincidence we are much better without him calling plays.

We still had to deal with his crap passing designs but over the last month the coaches have adjusted and finally started exposing teams over the middle of the field after years of just simply not adjusting to teams who load the box and press us out wide.

It's been nice watching us not have to rely on Romo to make plays outside of the scheme in order for us to win.

It's not quite as simple as you're making it out to be. You don't think the newly built OL has had any impact on the success of the run/pass plays being called? It's amazing how successful his "crap passing designs" have been with other coaches' adjustments. It couldn't be due at all to the improvement in player personnel, especially on the OL. And, by the way, if coaches are able to make successful play calling adjustments using his designs as you stated, how can they then be "crap designs"? If you want to say that Linehan is a better play caller than JG, I agree with you. If you're saying that the team is succeeding despite JG, I don't agree.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

I think he deserves a lot of credit, but not for being an X's and O's type, but for being what he is -- a good leader, organizer, and motivator.
He absolutely has the attention of his team and assistants, and that is a difficult achievement in an ego-filled swamp.
There isn't anything wrong with the management model that has evolved under Garrett, but it is a departure from some of the prominent strategist/tactician HC guys that we have respected in the past. Under this system, each assistant is actually more important, and that's probably how they like it.

With that, hopefully this staff will stay together for few more years.

LandryFan

Reaction score
I think he deserves a lot of credit, but not for being an X's and O's type, but for being what he is -- a good leader, organizer, and motivator.
He absolutely has the attention of his team and assistants, and that is a difficult achievement in an ego-filled swamp.
There isn't anything wrong with the management model that has evolved under Garrett, but it is a departure from some of the prominent strategist/tactician HC guys that we have respected in the past. Under this system, each assistant is actually more important, and that's probably how they like it.

Extremely well stated, Doc!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's not quite as simple as you're making it out to be. You don't think the newly built OL has had any impact on the success of the run/pass plays being called? It's amazing how successful his "crap passing designs" have been with other coaches' adjustments. It couldn't be due at all to the improvement in player personnel, especially on the OL. And, by thee way, if coaches are able to make successful play calling adjustments using his designs as you stated, how can they then be "crap designs"? If you want to say that Linehan is a better play caller than JG, I agree with you. If you're saying that the team is succeeding despite JG, I don't agree.

The OL is awesome but he could've called more run plays last year.

Instead Murray had very few carries on the season.

His offenses have always put too much pressure on Tony Romo to make plays.

The year we had Phil Costa at center we should have been using a Zone blocking scheme and we still didn't use it. Everything in the passing game has always been so far down field and when Romo couldn't buy extra time we usually lost.

Just bonehead stuff with this guy who refused to adjust his scheme to the players he had.

So yeah, give Garrett amazing players and he'll be a good coach but we've had teams under his watch that could've been better then 8-8 but his game day coaching screwed our seasons up.

Completely agree.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Garrett had to get rid of the non-RKGs because he inherited a team full of over-paid underachievers.

Once he established a core of RKGs, then he could take a chance on a guy like RoMc. There's a good chance that RoMc wouldn't have worked out back when the team leaders were the likes of Jay (the rat) Ratliff.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Garrett had to get rid of the non-RKGs because he inherited a team full of over-paid underachievers.

Once he established a core of RKGs, then he could take a chance on a guy like RoMc. There's a good chance that RoMc wouldn't have worked out back when the team leaders were the likes of Jay (the rat) Ratliff.

I agree, however I think Garrett talking with Saban about Ro played a big part in Dallas taking a chance on him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Garrett inherited a team that won 2 NFC East title in 3 years.

His offense was so bad to start the 2010 season that it got Wade fired.

Then we've been forever processing and finally got so many good players and got rid of him as a playcaller so now we can overcome all of his in-game garbage.

LandryFan

Reaction score
The OL is awesome but he could've called more run plays last year.

Instead Murray had very few carries on the season.

His offenses have always put too much pressure on Tony Romo to make plays.

The year we had Phil Costa at center we should have been using a Zone blocking scheme and we still didn't use it. Everything in the passing game has always been so far down field and when Romo couldn't buy extra time we usually lost.

Just bonehead stuff with this guy who refused to adjust his scheme to the players he had.

So yeah, give Garrett amazing players and he'll be a good coach but we've had teams under his watch that could've been better then 8-8 but his game day coaching screwed our seasons up.

We just disagree, and that's OK. I think this team has done well to be 8-8 in the past, and not just because of Garrett or Romo or any other single person/entity. It's a team game with lots of moving parts and JG is the guy in charge of manipulating those parts. He was successful this year, and, IMO, will be successful going forward. You might as well get used to JG, because he's going to be around for a while to come.

Completely agree.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ok. Let us know when you want to give the coach any credit. I guess he never hired Linehan or demanded to upgrade the oline.

I did.. I give him credit for managing the team through out the week and I think he has a good eye for talent.

Like Doc said, hes a good leader, organizer, and motivator.

He needs to stay away from the actual game day coaching though because he is absolutely horrible at it.