The RKG

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Garrett is good in the role he is currently in.

More hands off on game day and just managing through out the week.

If you can hide him behind talent and good coordinators who are allowed to make adjustments to his horrible passing schemes then you can get away with him as your coach.

How many coaches in the NFL who are successful....DON'T....have good coordinators and people underneath them?

For that matter how many CEO's don't have talented subordinates who report to them?

You seem to have a glaring lack of understanding about leaders.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Garrett is good in the role he is currently in.

More hands off on game day and just managing through out the week.

If you can hide him behind talent and good coordinators who are allowed to make adjustments to his horrible passing schemes then you can get away with him as your coach.

sorry. how is he hiding behind the talent? he was responsible for bringing in the talent. isn't that part of the coaches job? why is he hiding behind coaches? does pete carroll hide behind his coaches? does john fox hide behind his coaches? doe mike tomlin hide behind his coaches? does pagano hide behind his coaches? what horrible passing scheme? this is the same scheme as years prior (if you understand football and schemes that is).

this is the kind of BS that haters put out, without qualifying it. please elaborate on your none sense. make valid points and we can have a meaningful conversation. outside of that he has done exactly what these other coaches have done, yet you give those coaches credit and not to garrett.

in essence your statement says all head coaches are useless. please tell me if you mean otherwise.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I think he deserves a lot of credit, but not for being an X's and O's type, but for being what he is -- a good leader, organizer, and motivator.
He absolutely has the attention of his team and assistants, and that is a difficult achievement in an ego-filled swamp.
There isn't anything wrong with the management model that has evolved under Garrett, but it is a departure from some of the prominent strategist/tactician HC guys that we have respected in the past. Under this system, each assistant is actually more important, and that's probably how they like it.

With that, hopefully this staff will stay together for few more years.

People say this over and over yet completely ignore that we fielded top offenses year after year when Garrett was both OC and HC.

Numbers never lie.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I did.. I give him credit for managing the team through out the week and I think he has a good eye for talent.

Like Doc said, hes a good leader, organizer, and motivator.

He needs to stay away from the actual game day coaching though because he is absolutely horrible at it.

isn't this the case for all head coaches. pete carrol? mike tomlin? john fox? chuck pagano? the list goes on. they make plans during the week. the coordinators implement. they play the games. coordinators call the games, etc.

Garrett has done a fantastic job of head coaching this year. he deserver very strong considerations for coach of the year award.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Good point. The "RKG" thing got mocked widely for a couple years there, but it looks like we're reaping the benefit of bringing in the right kinds of guys here over the last several seasons, after all. There are a bunch of leaders on both sides of the ball in Dallas now, which wasn't the case back in 2010.

Winning always makes you look good even after yeras of being proven wrong. One good season and you can say anything you want. Not you personally but people will be saying it all offseason.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
People say this over and over yet completely ignore that we fielded top offenses year after year when Garrett was both OC and HC.

Numbers never lie.

interesting, numbers never lie but can be interpreted anyway anyone wants. The murders in NY went down, if you ignore the rising population.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Winning always makes you look good even after yeras of being proven wrong. One good season and you can say anything you want. Not you personally but people will be saying it all offseason.

Yeah ask Belicheck, did not look like a guru in Cleveland.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
while we are talking credit for stupid things, whose idea was it to keep Monte Kiffen after everyone wanted him gone. IN YOUR FACE ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Garrett inherited a team that won 2 NFC East title in 3 years.

His offense was so bad to start the 2010 season that it got Wade fired.

Then we've been forever processing and finally got so many good players and got rid of him as a playcaller so now we can overcome all of his in-game garbage.

garrett inherited a team that was 1-7, demoralized and had quit on their head coach. garrett inherited a team that had lost its talent and didn't replace it in the 4 years prior. he changed the culture of the team. the same team who wade Phillips decided not to have contact practices and do walk throughs that lead to a soft team.

this is the coach that rebuilt a team in 3 years while making them the 5th youngest and never had a losing season.

I credit garrett for his leadership, vision, and taking the cowboys from where they were from an idiot coach who should have never been hired to the team they are today and all the while having to deal with Jerry Jones and his meddling.

as to your remark regarding his game calling. under his coaching and OC years the cowboys were 7th, 11, 6th, 16th. we got better and were top 10 offense after he took away Callhan's OC duties and inserted himself. as the play caller. Under wade, we were 3rd, 13th (with romo injury), 2nd in the league on offense. so everything you just said is totally incorrect. its clearly proven that under garrett as the OC, with the limited offensive talent along the OL, RB, WR even in the wade years, he was able to keep the offense among the best in the league.

when you can back up your assertions with facts, then you might gain some credibility, until then you are nothing but a troll and probably a cowboys hater in disguise. who is your favorite team? Commanders?

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I don't know this off hand, so I ask sincerely: how many head coaches call plays in this league? McCarthy does, right? But Tomlin, or Coughlin, or Harbaugh(s)? It seems like there are a great number of respected head coaches in Garrett's position as the overseer who instills the message, the philosophy and then lets his coordinators coordinate.

I don't see that as a negative for Garrett.

I am in agreement with those who think he's much better not calling plays. He is showing to be quite good in his current role; where as he left a lot to be desired as a play caller in my mind.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I disagree.

Having players we wanted in the draft get picked and us settling on O-line + Linehan > RKG

a head coach is also directly responsible for players picked who are RKGs (you idiot). and Garrett hired Linehan. glad to see you are starting to understand a bit, although there is a lot of work still left.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't know this off hand, so I ask sincerely: how many head coaches call plays in this league? McCarthy does, right? But Tomlin, or Coughlin, or Harbaugh(s)? It seems like there are a great number of respected head coaches in Garrett's position as the overseer who instills the message, the philosophy and then lets his coordinators coordinate.

I am in agreement with those who think he's much better not calling plays. He is showing to be quite good in his current role; where as he left a lot to be desired as a play caller in my mind.

that's what leaders do. surround themselves with the right people. set the direction and philosophy and guide the ship.

ShiningStar

Reaction score

I think if we continue to remove all responsiblity from him, IE bringing in Linehan to not get away from the running game, and if we dole out millions of dolalrs to make the decisions Garrett should have been making, than yes, after a winning season he can take credit for not doing anything and we ll act like he did. Because thats what you do.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
a head coach is also directly responsible for players picked who are RKGs (you idiot). and Garrett hired Linehan. glad to see you are starting to understand a bit, although there is a lot of work still left.

oh so Garrett was paying Linehan?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Winning does tend to make a coach look good. But it's a mistake to not realize that this has been years in the making. You don't redo an aging roster on the fly without developing young players, and all most of us have been saying for years is that you really did need to be patient with the process that's been in place from the start.

Nobody was expecting to turn 1-7 and no cap space into a Super Bowl contender overnight. Or at least they shouldn't have been. There were setbacks, but even last season when we lost 5 games by 8 points you could see the arrow heading up.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Winning does tend to make a coach look good. But it's a mistake to not realize that this has been years in the making. You don't redo an aging roster on the fly without developing young players, and all most of us have been saying for years is that you really did need to be patient with the process that's been in place from the start.

Nobody was expecting to turn 1-7 and no cap space into a Super Bowl contender overnight. Or at least they shouldn't have been. There were setbacks, but even last season when we lost 5 games by 8 points you could see the arrow heading up.

well we can debate the pieces were needed. I believe the biggest piece was not abandoning the run as Garrett loved to do. I can be wrong. But if some posters are going to scream numbers never lie. Well than Demarco and i made the right case. But we will be thanking Garrett for finding the guy who should have been doing what Garrett should have done, stayed with the run and devlop this last year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

a lot of kids today don't understand that. we have been rebuilding for 4 years and this is culmination of it. its been the process, philosophy and its paying off. we are the 4th youngest team in the league and yet we have been competitive in the past 4 years. on the verge into the last game of the season every year. the other younger teams are Rams, Jaguars and Chiefs. we have only 6 players remaining from wade era, one of whom is the long snapper. that's 47 new players on this team since he took over. that's a great feat onto its own.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
well we can debate the pieces were needed. I believe the biggest piece was not abandoning the run as Garrett loved to do. I can be wrong. But if some posters are going to scream numbers never lie. Well than Demarco and i made the right case. But we will be thanking Garrett for finding the guy who should have been doing what Garrett should have done, stayed with the run and devlop this last year.

abandoning the run? please elaborate. this is going to really test your football knowledge and lets see if you can stay up to the task.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
a lot of kids today don't understand that. we have been rebuilding for 4 years and this is culmination of it. its been the process, philosophy and its paying off. we are the 4th youngest team in the league and yet we have been competitive in the past 4 years. on the verge into the last game of the season every year. the other younger teams are Rams, Jaguars and Chiefs. we have only 6 players remaining from wade era, one of whom is the long snapper. that's 47 new players on this team since he took over. that's a great feat onto its own.

Garrett doing things Superman only can dream of. My god, the 8-8 seasons hit him hard.