The RKG

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not only did Garrett abandon the run in games he didn't mix up the run plays at all.

He tried to cram everything straight between the tackles.

here is another stat for you (you can join many NFL stat sites and query their databases. not that expensive).

percentage of runs up the middle (I assume you mean between the tackles) vs. outside (pulling OL men and runs to the outside).... 59.5% 40.5%

NFL average slightly above that actually...

wrong again...there you go...everything!!! assumptions...watch the games. pay attention. learn football

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ok, now you got yours shorts tied in a nut....you are losing the argument you began and now, lets throw stats out of the door. because it proves you wrong.

now you want to do the gossipy, national enquirer approach to football knowledge. btw, garrett asked to hire linehan...jerry approved....you even lose that argument.

pick up a couple of books on football from the library. they are free. read a little. educate yourself. then you won't be as frustrated and confused as you are.

That's because I watch the games and not the stat line and I've watched this team live and die by Romos ability to make plays by buying extra time.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That's because I watch the games and not the stat line and I've watched this team live and die by Romos ability to make plays by buying extra time.

I watched the games too. what I watched is different than yours. I see runs to the outside. I don't scream like a half drunk idiot when we run up the middle saying here we go again. I look at trends. yards on first down, down and distance and location on the field and how the other team is playing, average yards per play, how the defense changes scheme, pre snap movements. there is a lot involved. educate yourself. there is a lot of books out there. spend time with high football coaches in your area, volunteer to help your high school team or local college team. take some internship. watch videos. there is lots of ways to learn about football.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
not after everyone. I call out bull shiet when I see it. people make assumptions and assertions without being able to back it up. provide facts, make compelling arguments with logic. bull shiet can be called from a mile away...

you are a delight. tahts all im saying.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I watched the games too. what I watched is different than yours. I see runs to the outside. I don't scream like a half drunk idiot when we run up the middle saying here we go again. I look at trends. yards on first down, down and distance and location on the field and how the other team is playing, average yards per play, how the defense changes scheme, pre snap movements. there is a lot involved.

and if no one does it this way they are completely wrong and you are completely right. got it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The only bullsheit is the crap you're feeding yourself based on stats.

Everyone knows Garrett abandons the run. Good for him that he probably had a couple of games where he boosted those percentages but I'd bet our RBs had more touches this year by a 100 then Any year Garrett was calling plays.

who is this everyone you speak of? you and you imaginary friends? they had more touches this year because we had the OL to allow it. we had the ypc on first down compared to the other years. I am putting the stats (which you hate because it doesn't support your argument) together for this year and you will learn a thing or tow. all those little things you call stats (and blows your mind) go into a play call on 2nd and third downs. as a matter of fact, it goes for most coaches in the NFL. simple fact. but above your intelligence. again. watch the games, not just motion of the people on TV. try doing it without being drunk. it may blow your mind. if you can find a coach in your area that you can sit with and have him explain the game to you while you watch, you will be amazed.\

btw, Denver, new England, Pittsburgh all would be considered passing teams, as they passed way more than they ran the ball. surprising specially with Pittsburgh having Bell as their RB.
so fox, bilicheck and tomlin must be crappy coaches.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I watched the games too. what I watched is different than yours. I see runs to the outside. I don't scream like a half drunk idiot when we run up the middle saying here we go again. I look at trends. yards on first down, down and distance and location on the field and how the other team is playing, average yards per play, how the defense changes scheme, pre snap movements. there is a lot involved. educate yourself. there is a lot of books out there. spend time with high football coaches in your area, volunteer to help your high school team or local college team. take some internship. watch videos. there is lots of ways to learn about football.

Oh lord.

I think Jason Garrett sucks as a playcaller and im the one that needs educating.. lol.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well we can debate the pieces were needed. I believe the biggest piece was not abandoning the run as Garrett loved to do. I can be wrong. But if some posters are going to scream numbers never lie. Well than Demarco and i made the right case. But we will be thanking Garrett for finding the guy who should have been doing what Garrett should have done, stayed with the run and devlop this last year.

As I said, people are going to believe what they want to believe. We went from 4th in the league in terms of points/offensive series last season up to 2nd this season after yesterday's game. That's definite improvement. I'd submit that the last four games is where we did the most damage in terms of points, and we did it mostly by throwing the ball effectively, but it is what it is.

The real difference between this season and last is moving from the bottom of the league (30th) in points yielded per defensive series up to 17th in 2014. Count up the the number of series we play in a game, and that covers more than the 8 points in the five closest losses from last year.

The reality is, any season is a combination of factors that have to break well for you to win. Offense has good ToP which rests the defense which plays better which protects the lead which lets the offense take fewer risks which lets them pass more effectively which lets them get a lead which lets the defense play one-dimensional which gets them pressure which makes the other guys less effective which makes it easier to win the passing effectiveness differential which is what really wins games in the league. You can try to look at Jason Garrett's hiring of Linehan or say that it's 'deciding to run the ball more' if you want, but the reality is it's a bit more complicated than that.

Either way, though, this process has been underway for 4 years. Players have bought in. Team is younger. Cap is in better position, and we've got a staff and an offense in place to be contenders for the next few years as long as we have good QB play. We've got a shot this season and plenty of room to improve defensively next season. Some of us have seen this coming and have said so for a long time. Others did not and prefer to believe the progress is all here from 2014 on. Personally, I think that's transparent and obviously wrong, but it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things who was right or who was wrong on the internet the last few seasons. As long as the Cowboys are competitive, there ought to be room for all of us to be happy with the results, right?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
waht, you dont need numbers to think, how do you do this magic you speak of?

When the numbers reinforce what you've been saying all along, it's not exactly magic. :)

EDIT: and please watch the language, guys.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
btw, Denver, new England, Pittsburgh all would be considered passing teams, as they passed way more than they ran the ball. surprising specially with Pittsburgh having Bell as their RB.
so fox, bilicheck and tomlin must be crappy coaches.

Denver, New England, and Pittsburgh all have more dynamic ways of getting the ball to their WR's then we do.

Our biggest threat forever was Romo's ability to buy time.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe there's more than that.......

9, by my count. That would be players with more than 4 years in the league and who were not brought in by Garrett: Romo, Witten, Dez, Free, Scandrick, Church, Spencer, LoDouceur, and Parnell.

Dodger12

Reaction score
9, by my count. That would be players with more than 4 years in the league and who were not brought in by Garrett: Romo, Witten, Dez, Free, Scandrick, Church, Spencer, LoDouceur, and Parnell.

Brent and Lee were here also I believe. I get the writer's point but that's 9 starters he inherited by my count.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

my mix up...garrett took over in 2010, while , dez, lee, parnell were brought onboard in 2010 draft.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Denver, New England, and Pittsburgh all have more dynamic ways of getting the ball to their WR's then we do.

Our biggest threat forever was Romo's ability to buy time.

roth buys time....he is famous for it.....

and we have been a top 10 passing team for 8 years now...why are they dynamic and we are not? ahh because you said so....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Oh lord.

I think Jason Garrett sucks as a playcaller and im the one that needs educating.. lol.

you are sounding frustrated.....you think garrett sucks as a play caller so everyone needs to agree with you? and then you lol.....provide facts instead of lol....everything you have said to this point is disputed with facts and it has been nothing more than assumptions, assertions and heresay. facts can't be disputed. perceptions of a drunk are imaginary

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
and if no one does it this way they are completely wrong and you are completely right. got it.

I didn't say that....I disputed his claim that every run is up the middle, where in fact numbers say otherwise. he said we refuse to run the ball, and facts say we were pretty even on first downs, yet our average gain on first downs is less than 4. I said he is a casual fan who sees a run up the middle and screams at the TV, " why are all the runs up the middle", probably because he is too drunk to remember much else from the game.

I didn't say anything about anybody else. he is obviously one who has zero clue about football and has provided nothing that can be supported in anyway. the response was intended for him not anybody else. there is a lot of people who come day after a game that discuss specific game plans, plays, etc and don't make blanketed idiotic statements as "catch" has done.

Dodger12

Reaction score
how did garrett abandon the run? the cowboys run/pass percentage on first down was 51-49% over the years that garrett has been the OC and HC for an average of 3.7 yards per carry (excluding 2014)..league average is about the same.....how did garrett abandon the run?

I did watch the games...unlike you who was half drunk listening to the announcers

btw, garrett had Callahan as OC first part of last year....

you are an amateur fan with limited knowledge of football.

I don't know how one can argue that Garrett wasn't pass happy. I mean, we're all fans and we all watched the games. In 2013 and 2013, Dallas was ranked 31 (second to last) in rushing attempts per game. In 2011, they ranked 24th. I'm only going but what I found and I'm assuming I'm reading the stats correctly.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-attempts-per-game?date=2014-02-02

In addition, with the playoffs on the line and back up QB in the last game against Philly in 2013, Orton threw the ball 46 times. Think about that for a second. Murray had 17 rushing attempts that game. As a team, we had 18 rushing attempts with 1 being Orton who scarmbled for 8 yards. Again, I just don't know how anyone can claim that Garrett ran a balanced offense. I mean, the guy didn't even run to protect his back-up QB.