The Romo Speech, All him? Or the Team?

Lutonio

Reaction score
No doubt all him. I think the closing where he talks about the battle with the person inside proves it. If he had been pushed it all, it wouldn't have touched on anything so sincere.

waldoputty

Reaction score
This question is ridiculous. Does anyone really think someone on this team would attempt to ask much less force Jerry Jones' love child to get out in front of the media and concede his job to a rookie? Seriously? Jerry would have that person fired on the spot. It absolutely makes Jerry sick to concede that this is Dak's team, it's written on his face every time he's spoken about the situation. You'd have to be blind to think Jerry would have allowed that to happen. Kudos to Romo on closing the issue cause Jerry would never definitively state this is Daks team, no strings attached.

Agreed 100%.
You said it much better than I have.
I can see the pain in Jerry's face talking about it.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
It was entirely Romo.

JJT said he had a few different versions he wrote, and chose that one. He called Rich Dalrymple, and told him he wanted to do that yesterday, and they obliged.

It was an off day for the players, so he wanted to try and get that out of the way before today's media day in the locker room. I think he wants to lay low from here and keep the spotlight off of him so Dak isn't overshadowed.
It boggles my mind that some people refuse to give him credit for anything at all. He's a college grad and pretty media savvy...I'm quite sure he's capable of writing that without help. Some fans on this site are just unreal in their hatred.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The fact that he was reading from a script and didn't look like he wanted to read it says it wasn't all him.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
I still talk NFL with the Romo rule. If anyone mentions that Romo is not great or is a choker, I walk away because they do not know football.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He was clearly saying things that were hard for him to say. He was saying things that he didn't want to say but were the right things to say under the circumstances.

waldoputty

Reaction score
It was the type of speech that confers sports immortality.
I scratch my head to find a comparison for such an announcement by a top 3 sports figure (kobe, jeter or the captain of the yankees, Cowboys QB).

Totally different circumstances (thank god), but compare with Gehrig's farewell address:

"Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth. I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans.

"Look at these grand men. Which of you wouldn't consider it the highlight of his career just to associate with them for even one day? Sure, I'm lucky. Who wouldn't consider it an honor to have known Jacob Ruppert? Also, the builder of baseball's greatest empire, Ed Barrow? To have spent six years with that wonderful little fellow, Miller Huggins? Then to have spent the next nine years with that outstanding leader, that smart student of psychology, the best manager in baseball today, Joe McCarthy? Sure, I'm lucky.

"When the New York Giants, a team you would give your right arm to beat, and vice versa, sends you a gift - that's something. When everybody down to the groundskeepers and those boys in white coats remember you with trophies - that's something. When you have a wonderful mother-in-law who takes sides with you in squabbles with her own daughter - that's something. When you have a father and a mother who work all their lives so you can have an education and build your body - it's a blessing. When you have a wife who has been a tower of strength and shown more courage than you dreamed existed - that's the finest I know.

"So I close in saying that I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

- Lou Gehrig

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I think it came straight from him, I really don't think the team would have forced him to make a statement. And if Romo didn't want to do it and they said he had to, he would have told the organization to suck it, what are they going to do to him, take his job away?

Frozen700

Reaction score
The fact that he was reading from a script and didn't look like he wanted to read it says it wasn't all him.

I feel like it was him, then a part of me, saw what you saw, and made me question it a bit.

Frozen700

Reaction score
I can't believe this is a real thread.

Just like the Romo bash threads and the Romo love threads are real.

If you don't like it, delete it. You're a mod, do as you please.

I guess only happy threads are allowed. I just asked a question. Delete away

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I feel like it was him, then a part of me, saw what you saw, and made me question it a bit.

He was struggling with what he was saying, making sure to say all the right things to try and put an end to the distraction without saying anything that might add to it.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
All tony...the speech, the speaking to the media, the timing, everything he orchestrated.

Jerry and Garrett probably advised him against it and to let them handle it...but he wants to protect dak and the team.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you're legitimately questioning the authenticity of it, then perhaps you're just unable to read context clues or non-verbal communication the way most people do. Or you have an agenda getting in the way of your better judgement.

I'd be shocked if it weren't all Romo, and everything that's come out since from the team and the players suggests that's the case, as well..