The roster building messages the SB teams made clear to Cowboys last night

CCBoy

Reaction score
True. Hopefully, the past Super Bowls and the talent that's involved in those meetings might convince Jerry & Son that dramatic change must occur. This team isn't coming nearly close enough to entertain their past ideas that this franchise is doing enough to deserve such blind confidence.
Principals of team management for team success is known on a functional level now. That is not a secret now to Jerry Jones or members of leadership in Dallas now. Management principals will follow suite and monitored now as well.

The hillbilly ballads will continue now, only for rascals or uninformed. Things are to the point of progress based upon more than pessimism.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
That's the biggest difference.
I would argue leadership and culture are the biggest difference.

A real leader would have:
  1. Demanded improvement years ago from Dak
  2. Moved on if it didn't happen
There's a ton of people who blame Jerry for the organization's continued failures. There's not nearly enough. Too many apologists and excuse makers who fail to see how truly toxic Jerry is to building a championship team.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
That chiefs D has been underrated all year. Without their gritty performance all through the playoffs, the chiefs don’t win with even their generational QB.
I disagree, but we'll never know. What we do know is that Mahomes can drive a sportcar or a pickup truck. It's not the car, it's the driver. Montana proved this...Brady proved this. Heck, Aikman proved this.

That defense plays hard - in part - because they have Mahomes. Retired players talk about "knowing we have...<insert player>" and that's why they didn't worry, played hard and believed.

I do agree with the last paragraph in your first post about how far away we are in spite of the QB situation. But Mahomes is a force multiplier...he's the straw that stirs the drink.

kskboys

Reaction score
T and CB are also needs. Diggs coming off injury and Gilmore and Lewis may both be gone. We need to make smart picks and not force them.
If we take a CB in the first 2 rounds, it would show that we have learned nothing and it'll be back to the same ol' same ol'.

kskboys

Reaction score
I disagree, but we'll never know. What we do know is that Mahomes can drive a sportcar or a pickup truck. It's not the car, it's the driver. Montana proved this...Brady proved this. Heck, Aikman proved this.

That defense plays hard - in part - because they have Mahomes. Retired players talk about "knowing we have...<insert player>" and that's why they didn't worry, played hard and believed.

I do agree with the last paragraph in your first post about how far away we are in spite of the QB situation. But Mahomes is a force multiplier...he's the straw that stirs the drink.
I don't think there's a QB in the NFL besides Mahomes who wins that game yesterday. The SF D was beyond excellent.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Mahomes eats a ton of cap space. They are somehow getting it done. Obviously Mahomes is way better but the chiefs have figured a way to have a great supporting cast with the most expensive player in the league.

The chiefs also have one of the best GMs in the league - Brett Veach. When you look at their roster construction vs ours, it’s embarrassing.
They have done very well drafting, essentially defensively.

That is a big component when you have a QB with a big cap number.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I don't think there's a QB in the NFL besides Mahomes who wins that game yesterday. The SF D was beyond excellent.
You might be right. SF is the more talented team. But Mahomes is the only guy worthy of taking up the majority of his team's cap space.

If SF had a better QB, they win. Purdy, while he didn't wet the bed like Dak, is limited.

But still, look back at SB and NFL history: "Historic" defenses are routinely beaten by elite QBs.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Mahomes eats a ton of cap space. They are somehow getting it done. Obviously Mahomes is way better but the chiefs have figured a way to have a great supporting cast with the most expensive player in the league.

The chiefs also have one of the best GMs in the league - Brett Veach. When you look at their roster construction vs ours, it’s embarrassing.
Professional GM vs Amateur GM.
Not being mean, just stating the obvious.
Jerry might be great at marketing but running an NFL team takes a different skill set.
28 years of futility shows Jerry does not have it.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Exactly.
As I posted earlier, you replace our head coach and quarterback with a few other higher qualified names and that coach/QB duo has this same roster in the NFCCG minimum if not the SB.

Some want to make it harder than it is.
With better coaching and quarterbacking THIS year we could have been in the SB.

Again my broken record...
Opinions vary I guess.
I agree with you. It's like having jason garrett back as hc and QB.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
If we take a CB in the first 2 rounds, it would show that we have learned nothing and it'll be back to the same ol' same ol'.
How so? I did hear an interview with McClay where he listed CB as a position of need and understandably so with it being a passing league. You really need four good CB’s now days.

1942willys

Reaction score
I think it's like the triplets where Jerry thought they were why we won, even though those super bowl teams were D teams w/ great DLines and ballhawking S's. It's like, he doesn't even see it.

If you asked him about the super bowl yesterday, would he even mention the great DLine play?
That has ALWAYS puzzled me about Jerry, He was a guard at Arkansas and tell me another position where you better understand the importance of excellent DT play then that?

Smith22

Reaction score
The original post is pretty spot on except for describing the superbowl as a great game.

Turnovers, 3 n outs, penalties. The 1st half resembled more a preseason game, at least to me.

I agree 100% the Cowboys front 7 must improve, along with center and rb if they have any interest in going further in the playoffs.

75boyz

Reaction score

Great post.
Extremely well explained.

1942willys

Reaction score
You might be right. SF is the more talented team. But Mahomes is the only guy worthy of taking up the majority of his team's cap space.

If SF had a better QB, they win. Purdy, while he didn't wet the bed like Dak, is limited.

But still, look back at SB and NFL history: "Historic" defenses are routinely beaten by elite QBs.
When have historic defenses like the Bears 85 and the Ravens 2000 been beaten by elite QBs. Now if you consider the Seattle D historic you might have a point if Pete Carol did not have a brain fart on that play call

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
  • Toughness matters a ton. Both the niners and chiefs are physically tough as nails. The niners are the most physical team in the NFL. Their defense punishes opponents. The chiefs are also physically tough. Their defense was vastly underrated this year. The mental toughness of the chiefs to stay in the game despite their offense being sluggish is testament to their mental toughness.
Much of that mental toughness comes from the head coach, passed down to the QB. Reid-Mahomes is a perfect match. There is none like it in the league.

Trendnet

Reaction score
We would have lost to Detroit just as badly. We are no where near the physicality or toughness to match up with those teams when it's win or go home.
Other than when they did play and win of course.