***The Second Call/NonCall good/bad conspiracy etc thread***merged**

MagicMan

Reaction score
The Detroit Lions fans are laughing at us. They said almost exactly the same thing last week.
Bad calls are a part of the game. And they will always be a part of the game because refs are humans and humans come with their own interpretations and humans make mistakes.

Well looks like you changed your mind now.....it was a bad call and they are part of the game and refs are human and will make mistakes. OK.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The Detroit Lions fans are laughing at us. They said almost exactly the same thing last week.
Bad calls are a part of the game. And they will always be a part of the game because refs are humans and humans come with their own interpretations and humans make mistakes.

Sorry my friend. Bad calls like that are not part of the game. You don't reverse a call when there is lack of evidence to overturn it. However they did. That to me is not part of the game. Its an aberration or reaction to what happened during the previous week and nothing more. Thus the failure of that call is all over the Internet. Heck, even my friends in Japan that watch Cowboys football knows thats a catch. Rules specify what a catch is and they follow the rulebook. Therefore thats a catch and the NFL took it away from us.

I could care less what Detroit fans are saying. They had their chances even when the right call was made. However, the refs took away points from us. If that was ruled a catch we would have gotten 7 points and possibly even 8 and made it an epic game. But the NFL made the decision that they wanted to make sure Dallas loses. Why else would they overturn that catch?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

The whole point of replay is to get it right. Not add even more interpretation to the equation.

That is the general problem with the rule to begin with.

You then allow an ambiguous rule to be opened up for interpretation via review.

All in all, the rule needs to be simplified.

The last thing replay needs to involve is more opinion and interpretation.

The whole idea is to allow things to become more black and white, not add more human error to the process.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. The same attitude embraced by the Cowboys fans this week were embraced by the Lions fans last week.
Fans are fans. They ALWAYS think calls are against them because of bias. They always feel they're getting the bad end of calls.
It's quite amusing that this situation is almost the exact reversal of last week's situation.

The apple-to-apple comparison would be if their tight end caught the ball and we were bailed out erroneously somehow.

Lions fans wanted a bail-out call. Cowboys fans want a legendary play to be upheld.

Similar in that they involve football and referees, yes. But far from the exact same.

None of us are griping about non-calls from the game.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It's fascinating that this call took instant replaying overturning a play everyone thought was good.

First, not everyone thought it was good. Some commentators were saying it would be overturned.
Second, "everyone" thought Pettigrew was trying to come back for the ball too. But it took replay to show he actually wasn't.

Last week, the issue seemed to be primarily the fact there was no replay and the referees couldn't agree on what they saw.

The particulars may be different, but the reaction is the same. And the outrage. And the crying. And the whining. The Lions fans were doing the same thing, saying the same thing.

It's funny how the exact scenario has played out over the course of a week.

sbark

Reaction score

Not even close.......they were trying not to loose..........Garrett, Romo and Dez hung it all out to dry on 4th down---playing to win in every regards.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The whole point of replay is to get it right. Not add even more interpretation to the equation.

The whole idea is to allow things to become more black and white, not add more human error to the process.

I don't know how you do that because even if you simplify the rule, you still will have refs trying to determine what a catch is. Does a guy catching the ball, taking two steps on his way to the ground because of his momentum, qualify as a catch? You still have the same situation.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
This Blandino guy wont get fired, infact it wouldnt suprise me, if he gets a pay raise. jmo

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Sigh. Ever wonder why they write rules like that? It gives the refs and the NFL the ability to influence the outcome of close games. They aren't incompetent. They are lawyers out on the field of play.

Mike Pereira and Blandino are nothing more than Lawyers masquerading as NFL officials. Do you notice that when they are on the big screen all they do is talk and talk and hardly even showing the play at all?

There are no slo mo or close up shots, no second by second shots or even diagrams and scribbles to show what they saw. Only thing to them is the rule books. Because they if they keep showing Dez's catch, they know that everyone will stop believing them and will actually know for themselves thats a catch.

Alexander

Reaction score
Not even close.......they were trying not to loose..........Garrett, Romo and Dez hung it all out to dry on 4th down---playing to win in every regards.

I get that, but I think Romo made a real decision to do what he had done in similar situations this year. It worked before.

The "safe" play would be to dump it underneath and get the first down.

I am not faulting him. He went with his nature and I understand it.

Don Corleone

Reaction score

Interpretation adds drama, and lines the pockets of the NFL with more money. They aren't dumb.

Alexander

Reaction score
I don't know how you do that because even if you simplify the rule, you still will have refs trying to determine what a catch is. Does a guy catching the ball, taking two steps on his way to the ground because of his momentum, qualify as a catch? You still have the same situation.

You get rid of trying to figure out what a "football move" is or is not.

The catch in his hands, and the feet are all I think should matter if you revise the rule.

loublue22

Reaction score
It doesn't matter. The same attitude embraced by the Cowboys fans this week were embraced by the Lions fans last week.
Fans are fans. They ALWAYS think calls are against them because of bias. They always feel they're getting the bad end of calls.
It's quite amusing that this situation is almost the exact reversal of last week's situation.

I am not amused

one thing doesn't have anything to do with the other, FACTS, one after the other are being presented to discredit this nonsense

that's all that matters

endersdragon

Reaction score

I can name about 7 calls that were horribly against us last week (even the NFL said so). Can you name me two calls that were certainly in our favor this week? That is the difference. I don't know if it is bias or just stupidity, but something is wrong here.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Are you kidding? They threw a pass that, if they completed, would have put them in scoring position. Even so, that's your interpretation, which really has nothing to do with any substantive difference.

Again, the scenarios and reactions are similar. Be as mad as you want. Call the bogus. Complain that the fix is in. The Lions fans were saying the same thing.

tideh20heel

Reaction score
Dez had nothing under the ball when it made contact with the ground. It moved after that contact. Whether it was his shoulder pads that caused the movement or the ground really doesn't matter at that point because the officials are going to assume it was the ground.

I don't think there is any way we could have won the argument that the ball did not move after contact with the ground.

Assuming is not supposed to be a part of the replay process. Quite the contrary if you are making assumptions you let the call stand.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
First, not everyone thought it was good. Some commentators were saying it would be overturned.
Second, "everyone" thought Pettigrew was trying to come back for the ball too. But it took replay to show he actually wasn't.

The particulars may be different, but the reaction is the same. And the outrage. And the crying. And the whining. The Lions fans were doing the same thing, saying the same thing.

It's funny how the exact scenario has played out over the course of a week.

The particulars are different, but it's the exact same scenario?

Yes, we are all fans and upset. Exact same.

tideh20heel

Reaction score
That was s
And then, when we fail to score in four plays form the 6, the talking heads: "If Dez had shown more effort on his catch and tried to score instead of go down immediately, the Cowboys score and win the game."
that was sarcasm

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I am not amused

one thing doesn't have anything to do with the other, FACTS, one after the other are being presented to discredit this nonsense

that's all that matters

Because you want to frame the discussion. But it doesn't matter how you wish to frame it. The reality is that the Detroit Lions fans were saying the exact same thing. Doesn't matter if you think their complains weren't legitimate. Guess what? Many fans of other teams feel the Cowboys fans' complaints aren't legitimate.