***The Second Call/NonCall good/bad conspiracy etc thread***merged**

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
The ball hits the ground at the same time as his forearm, which is what causes the ball to shoot into the air. The point is that it doesn't matter one iota if the ball hit the ground, the catch was made and under Dez' control and he was making a move toward the endzone. It was the worst call ever. I told my buddy we were going to not only lose the TD on the call, but also the catch.

Now we need to get on with our lives!

100% correct. Ball hitting the ground is irrelevant, catch was complete when the football move was made.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The particulars are different, but it's the exact same scenario?

Yes, we are all fans and upset. Exact same.

Sigh.

The particulars are different: no catch vs. pass interference.
The scenario is exactly the same: The Cowboys fans think they were jobbed. The Lions fans think they were jobbed. The Cowboys fans think the fix was in for their team. The Lions fans think the fix was in for their team.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Mike Pereira and Blandino are nothing more than Lawyers masquerading as NFL officials. Do you notice that when they are on the big screen all they do is talk and talk and hardly even showing the play at all?

There are no slo mo or close up shots, no second by second shots or even diagrams and scribbles to show what they saw. Only thing to them is the rule books. Because they if they keep showing Dez's catch, they know that everyone will stop believing them and will actually know for themselves thats a catch.

Blandino's qualifications are questionable. He has a mysterious degree from Hofstra and grew up in New York. He has no field ref experience. He apparently started a replay company after working in the NFL officiating office. Then he shows up in 2012 as the boss of all refs.

He seems like sketchy guy.

Reaction score
Your right the Cowboys lost that game. But They were placed in a position to win it but the refs took that away. Sure it may not be the winning TD. But let these guys play football and see the best team really is. That was a catch and it hindered us from getting into the position of winning the game. It was a costly decision and the NFL should pay for the consequences that they have inflicted on the Cowboys nation.

by merit of the on-field action I would argue that Green Bay had lost the game, though they would have had a chance to try and score themselves with time dwindling. The replay official took away the Cowboys winning play, took the ball away and gave it to them to run the clock out.

TommyBoy21

Reaction score
Sigh. Ever wonder why they write rules like that? It gives the refs and the NFL the ability to influence the outcome of close games. They aren't incompetent. They are lawyers out on the field of play.

If the NFL was fixing games the Cowboys would be playing at Seattle this week. And against the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Cowboys/Pats Super Bowl = $$$$$

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
one thing doesn't have anything to do with the other, FACTS, one after the other are being presented to discredit this nonsense

that's all that matters

If there is one thing that cannot be applied here is "FACT". Especially when the whole rule to begin with is based on make believe and interpretation of what someone thinks is a "football move".

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
by merit of the on-field action I would argue that Green Bay had lost the game, though they would have had a chance to try and score themselves with time running out. The replay official bailed them out, took the ball away and gave it to them to run the clock out.

Exactly. This is the NFL and the football field is not a courtroom full of jurors.

Letting the call stand took away some really great part about football where a great QB with time winding down has to score or lose. We placed ourselves in a position to win. Then the refs took it away from us because they didn't want us to win. Thats not football and only someone that doesn't know football would try and argue that wasn't a catch.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I can name about 7 calls that were horribly against us last week (even the NFL said so). Can you name me two calls that were certainly in our favor this week? That is the difference. I don't know if it is bias or just stupidity, but something is wrong here.

You're a Cowboys fan, so, of course, you're going to think and you're going to know the calls that went against your team. Other fans can say the same thing because they're more acquainted with their teams. I can't go down and list the bad calls against other teams because I'm not a fan of other teams. But I'm sure the Detroit fans can list calls that have gone against them, and Ravens fans, and Bears fans, and Eagles fans, etc.
Besides, I'm making a general observation.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
If the NFL was fixing games the Cowboys would be playing at Seattle this week. And against the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Oh but they care week to week only. I don't believe for a second that they don't look at the Vegas lines while calling games.

Blandino could be working for the mafia for all we know.

loublue22

Reaction score
Because you want to frame the discussion. But it doesn't matter how you wish to frame it. The reality is that the Detroit Lions fans were saying the exact same thing. Doesn't matter if you think their complains weren't legitimate. Guess what? Many fans of other teams feel the Cowboys fans' complaints aren't legitimate.

every controversial play in history is not created equal

of course I want to "frame the debate", the point you're making is irrelevant

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
The entire rule needs to be changed and simplified.

Wording like "football move" and "a move common to the game" only add ambiguity. So instead of the players determining the game, the referees gain control through their interpretations of the rule.

sounds like lawyer speak. The average football fan isn't an attorney. Give us language we can understand that's easily definable.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

Well there are people within all walks of life that hate the Cowboys. I even heard that some fans have killed Cowboys fans before. I would say even though alot of money would be made by the Cowboys playing in the Superbowl, there are more satisfied people out there that are more than happy to see the Cowboys lose.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Interpretation adds drama, and lines the pockets of the NFL with more money. They aren't dumb.

Not really. Interpretations are for damage control. Do you notice that when something bad happens they always hire someone else to cover things up.

I think the NFL is willing to let this be controversial than allow the Cowboys to go further into the playoffs. I think them winning the Superbowl wasn't part of the script and it would be hard for them to be singing a different tune late into the season.

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. The same attitude embraced by the Cowboys fans this week were embraced by the Lions fans last week.
Fans are fans. They ALWAYS think calls are against them because of bias. They always feel they're getting the bad end of calls.
It's quite amusing that this situation is almost the exact reversal of last week's situation.

Not true. I'm quite capable of seeing things objectively. When a flag is thrown, if it's a good call, I can accept that. There are good calls made against the Cowboys every game that I don't complain about.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The apple-to-apple comparison would be if their tight end caught the ball and we were bailed out erroneously somehow.

Lions fans wanted a bail-out call. Cowboys fans want a legendary play to be upheld.

Similar in that they involve football and referees, yes. But far from the exact same.

None of us are griping about non-calls from the game.

You make such distinctions because you want to be right and separate yourself from other fans. But other fans can claim the same thing.
And what does it being a "legendary play" have to do with anything? So because it's a big play it shouldn't be examined, called or overruled if a ref believes it's not the right call on the field? That's a subjective term you made up to make it seem as if you have a right to complain and other fans don't. The Tuck Rule was a "legendary" play. Sometimes in do-or-die plays, a call will become a "legendary" one. It happens, and the Houston Oilers, the Dallas Cowboys, the Buffalo Bills and the Oakland Raiders and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and any number of teams and their fans can say "legendary" calls have been made to impact how the game turned out.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Well looks like you changed your mind now.....it was a bad call and they are part of the game and refs are human and will make mistakes. OK.

I haven't changed my mind. I'm addressing the issue in totality. I thought it was a catch. If it had stood, I could have accepted that - gladly. But it was overturned. And it didn't go our way. Such is life.

But my initial issue here is not to argue the call. Rather it is to point out that this isn't unique to the Cowboys. The Lions fans were saying similar things last week.