The Speed at wide receiver is the best I've ever seen at camp

Kaiser

Reaction score
His productivity with the snaps and plays he was given was huge. Prior to the injury, I know he had career highs in yards per reception and it might have been yards per rush as well (but I'd have to check on that).

And last year they were going to give him a ton of snaps. This year they have their top 3 WRs that are clearly better so that should limit the snaps he gets, which should help with the risk of injury.

I think the idea that his roster spot was in trouble was a single article on DC.com that said Reggie Davis was playing well. That sent the idea off with a life of its own.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And last year they were going to give him a ton of snaps. This year they have their top 3 WRs that are clearly better so that should limit the snaps he gets, which should help with the risk of injury.

I think the idea that his roster spot was in trouble was a single article on DC.com that said Reggie Davis was playing well. That sent the idea off with a life of its own.

I also think that many fans are "mad" at him for getting injured last year. And in their frustration they want him sent packing. I consider it to be a misguided, emotional response. The guy is still a weapon on the field.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Who will return punts?
Reggie Davis is not making the team. Remember last year when they trotted out the over use of Lenoir and we seen how that went.

Austin offers a lot of versatility that Pollard needs to learn yet. They were to try Pollard in TC on punt returns, but have not seen that yet.
Austin most likely stays.
There isn't a known answer. But when it comes to roster cuts, sometimes sacrifices are made in favor of potential upside. Always tough decisions.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There isn't a known answer. But when it comes to roster cuts, sometimes sacrifices are made in favor of potential upside. Always tough decisions.

Well there will be more of these tough decisions this year than in the past. So it seems on paper. Which is a good problem to have.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I also think that many fans are "mad" at him for getting injured last year. And in their frustration they want him sent packing. I consider it to be a misguided, emotional response. The guy is still a weapon on the field.

Totally agree, plus we will have one or two more backup WRs that really are what Deonte Thompson or Bryce Butler were supposed to be - the situational "take the top off the defense" guy who is a threat to beat you deep on any given play.

Our TE play should be 100 times better than last year also.

erod

Reaction score
I don’t see where this ‘cut Austin’ campaign is coming from.
I don't think they will, but injuries/suspensions/holdouts might make that spot valuable to another position.

Plus, they could cut him, then re-sign him after week one and not be tied to a year's salary if he gets hurt or sucks.

Pollard might be able to do what he does, and Austin does not have much of a history as a returner outside of an occasional highlight and a bunch of fumbles.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Don't forget best coach.

Okay, even I couldn't get through that sentence without laughing. And now I'm ashamed for lying.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Its not a lie if everyone knows its not true the moment you said it. There's no deception taking place. :D

quickccc

Reaction score
Totally agree, plus we will have one or two more backup WRs that really are what Deonte Thompson or Bryce Butler were supposed to be - the situational "take the top off the defense" guy who is a threat to beat you deep on any given play.

Our TE play should be 100 times better than last year also.

yeh, I didn't even see anything resembling " speed" with Deonte Thompson. Not vertically or laterally.

Either he couldn't even get open on ANY deep routes he was running,... or the Cowboys felt so discouraged that they didn't even bother to run him deep.
Butler also had speed to go along with good size (6'3) and that was few instances (very few) where his speed did show up where Cowboys needed it too, (ala 2017 Cardinal game)
but just as he had deep speed, he also had slippery hands- he was a mediocre finisher.

Tavon Austin is another one that isn't the best of finishing plays as in his end zone "drops" vs Texans/Lions - but his big TD bomb catch vs Giants Janoris Jenkins is an example of the
over- the- top capability the Cowboys are trying to achieve.

If we get to add another speed guy or two that can finish the plays - we can have a better chance at consistently making that speed a factor vs defenses, with the coaches that know and understand
HOW to better design schemes for that kind of speed factor too.

If Kellen Moore & Co. is serious about pushing the ball downfield,...and we prove we can " finish" plays. that's gonna create mismatch vs coverages, create over- the- top ability to stretch defenses,
and it's going to help set up openings and pathways for others in the offense.

But i understand what ya'll are saying about speed- receiving skills.
it's still important to have a route running skill set that enables that receivers to get off the line, get the CB unbalanced and provide separation space within the right, and most of all , consistently catch tha ball, regardless of how much physical jet speed these receivers are supposed to have.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
His productivity with the snaps and plays he was given was huge. Prior to the injury, I know he had career highs in yards per reception and it might have been yards per rush as well (but I'd have to check on that).
The small sample size police wish for you to cease and desist this faulty line of reasoning

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Johnson, Guyton, Davis, and Smith aren't makiing the team.

And Austin's spot is tenuous.

The receivers will likely be Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Wilson, Brown, and maybe Austin.

You say Austin's spot is tenuous.
What would you say his trade value is, ruffian?
We can always use help in the O line and safety.

Kaiser

Reaction score
But i understand what ya'll are saying about speed- receiving skills.
it's still important to have a route running skill set that enables that receivers to get off the line, get the CB unbalanced and provide separation space within the right, and most of all , consistently catch tha ball, regardless of how much physical jet speed these receivers are supposed to have.

Totally agree, it takes the entire skill set. But guys like Devin Smith already have that single skill of deep routes (but not much else and he was injured, or he would still be a Jet). You can plug that kind of player into some sets where they only run a couple of routes.

Agree on Deonte Thompson also, I just googled it and he ran a 4.3 at his combine but you never saw that in his short stay with the Cowboys.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Speed does not necessarily equal NFL WR.......remember Alexander Wright? lol

I agree our top 3 guys may be the best we've had since Irvin and Harper but we need to see it.......

When they were both healthy the Terrell Owens-Terry Glenn combination was pretty darn good, too.

stinkface

Reaction score
Austin has done literally nothing his entire career. Why folks think he will do more this year is beyond me. He is a gadget player that might not even make the team. If he has a good camp, maybe you trade him for a 5th round pick down the road.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Galloway was a complete disaster and one of the Jones' dumbest moves by far. There was no return with that. It was complete and utter crap.

Trading with Detroit for Roy Williams was a disaster.
Galloway got hurt in his very first game. Gone for the year.
It was also a bad trade, but mostly bad luck.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Galloway was a complete disaster and one of the Jones' dumbest moves by far. There was no return with that. It was complete and utter crap.

Disagree. Galloway played well for a few seasons after suffering the season killing injury. The intention was that Aikman would be throwing him footballs.

Bad move in hindsight? Absolutely.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We have a ton of speed at camp this year. I recall the teams of the 90s and they never had this much potential speed and they can catch. When we traded for Galloway it was like WOW but he was really all we had that season. The Tony Romo teams had T.O. and Glenn. Dez and Twill weren't fast. Miles Austin had nice speed.

The guys we have at camp have lots of potential. Guys like; JonVea Johnson, Jalen Guyton, Reggie Davis, Devin Smith and our own Tavon Austin. We have a ton of speed. Dak has alot to use. Even the tight ends like Jarwin and McElroy have some speed for their position. When teams put 8 in the box. Look out for Dak and this group of pass catchers. We have potential for huge gains. I like JonVea Johnson he just looks like he belongs here. Smith and Reggie Davis really have caught my eye. I like Austin but Davis in my eyes has more potential in the slot than austin. Davis has a little more size at 5"11 and he even looks faster than Austin. Davis has nice size to go along with his speed. If we end up with Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Johnson, and Davis I wouldn't be mad at all. I'd also like to place Noah Brown at Tightend. If you watch any game he has played in , he is the best blocker out of all the pass catchers we have . He looks better than Witten too. Why not put him at tightend. He is 6'2" and 235 I'm guestimating. Size wise hed be our Shannon Sharpe who was an undersized tightend who wound up being in the hall of fame. I really feel Noah Brown would be an excellent tightend. He can also jump high people forget that. I don't know what his vertical was but he can jump. He can be our sixth receiver or just try him at tightend. I'm just really impressed with all the speed we have at receiver. The organization has done a good job. What do you guys feel about the collective speed of the reciever group including Cooper, Gallup and co. and all the undrafted free agents we have?https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAGegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3GRnjEGcVD5HTGKDhadmUw
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAFegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw2Hgy4Z0a8gDdnus3pEMD1V
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAGegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3h259CJcpqZV9pfGl0ij4c
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ChAB&usg=AOvVaw1EXP5vSmMz4fJs8CUrw3mJ&ampcf=1

Not just WRs.

Backs
RB - Zeke 4.47, Pollard 4.38 , Jackson 4.40, Weber 4.47
FB - Olawale 4.53

Next up - TEs

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If defenses play base (3 LBs) with Brown and 1 TE in the game, then Brown is just an undersized TE.
By all indications, Brown *is* a tiny blocking TE posing no threat as a receiver or runner.

Teams should be matching up a LB against him until he proves he can be a threat.

Keeping Brown is betting on other teams continuing to be stupid. Could happen, but this is not complicated. Defenses should be embarrassed for not figuring this out last year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I agree about Austin. have said all along that I could see him getting squeezed out once they drafted pollard. I can also see them keeping him as they tend to hang on to guys they "like". At least its a nice problem to have legit talent to choose from.

Zeke's holdout may benefit Austin by domino effect.

If Pollard is expected to take more snaps as the lead back, the jet sweep/deep threat complement goes to Austin.

I like 20 formation for this team in the base offense, with or without Zeke as tailback. The slot guy is Pollard/Austin as the dual run/catch threat.