CFZ The stage is set for the sports drama of 2023

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Coach, it could absolutely happen. Or not happen. It’s the modern day Cowboys.

One thing I’ve come to believe over the last few years is somewhat surprising- I don’t think Jerry is as desperate to win as we think he would. I think he just loves playing with his football toy and making loads of cash with little effort.

Does he want to win a championship again? He would love to for sure. But is he willing to “do whatever it would take” to win? He‘s proven for nearly 3 decades he doesn’t want to win that bad.
Right. As long as we stay interesting and relative the revenue gravy train continues .

It would take more than an 0-2 start to make a move . Something like 1-5 at the Bye could do it.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Aren't the Cowboys 4 and 0 against the Giants over the last 2 years?
What does that matter? You must be one of those fans that thinks stats like that matter. I would bet you think the Cowboys improved this offseason while every other NFCE team got worse. You don't even stop to consider the possibility that the Giants, in year 2 under Daboll, may have made some significant improvements. The Cowboys starting 0-2 is a real possibility

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
What does that matter? You must be one of those fans that thinks stats like that matter. I would bet you think the Cowboys improved this offseason while every other NFCE team got worse. You don't even stop to consider the possibility that the Giants, in year 2 under Daboll, may have made some significant improvements. The Cowboys starting 0-2 is a real possibility
any team starting 0-2 is a real possibility, the Cowboys did get better this offseason they really only added talent and lost none...again if the Cowboys were better than the Giants last year and they both got better how does that equal the Giants are better now?

mcmvp

Reaction score
any team starting 0-2 is a real possibility, the Cowboys did get better this offseason they really only added talent and lost none...again if the Cowboys were better than the Giants last year and they both got better how does that equal the Giants are better now?
First of all, I didn’t say the Giants were better. My point was that many ‘homerish’ fans don’t recognize that other teams could be improving too. And it’s not all about the loss/gain of talent. Coaching matters. Daboll in year 2 there could be a meaningful factor. Also, players that were on a team before don’t necessarily stay at the same level of play…some improve dramatically while others decline.

Einstein

Reaction score
Flip the script though, and say we come out killing it on both sides of the ball and blowing both of the first two opponents out of the water by double digits starting in the 20's? The Chargers and KM struggle to get going, and start 0-2 as does the rest of the NFCE...

rambo2

Reaction score
The Cowboys starting 5 and 0 is a real possibility.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
true because it leaves a wide lane for the first bad game, I do think there are things that can be changed in the run game which doesnt mean more running plays but more focused running attack that is tied to your passing attack.. I could be completly wrong but for some Reason KM's play calls just seemed kinda random and never with the next play in mind.
Good points but always difficult for us fans to determine if it was more poor execution or play-calling .

I think most will be watching what happens in LA with their offense and QB . Will it light fire or fizzle ??

We will find out if our top 5 caliber offense production and struggles under Moore was more about him or the talent.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
With the Cowboys, I shouldn't limit that to sports because they're so reality show like, they get interest from outside the sports world.

Remember that "Season of the Reliable Source" and how much fun that wasn't? This one is the perfect storm for a sequel to that.

The QB leads the league in picks and while they do excuse some of those as receiver error, the response is to let the OC walk, the HC take over play calling with a reference to running the ball more (not his forte, by the way) and no one can be sure if this was really his idea. The team allows one season to label the QB as turnover prone instead of his body of work.

Plenty of blame for Kellen Moore here but once he hit the beach, he didn't have time to get his little umbrella out of his cocktail before he had another OC gig with one of the hottest young QB's in the league. All media eyes in Dallas will not be on NY, PHL or WAS, they will be on the Los Angeles Chargers. Kellen Watch will be in full bloom.

The owner has fired a HC in season just once and he had the heir apparent just waiting to take over. Now, he has Quinn in the wings so the transition would be smooth. Unless you consider Shottenheimer is now the OC and play caller.

More than any HC in the league, McCarthy is going to be under the magnifying glass early on in the season and if he can win the ones he supposed to, he should be OK but lose one of those?

What if the Chargers beat the Dolphins, and look good doing it, on opening weekend and the Cowboys should stumble against the Giants? The Cowboys face their old nemesis, Aaron Rodgers, in the home opener in what could be a must win game for Mike McCarthy.

What if it is the offense struggling and the defense is doing their job? The spotlight will not be brighter on the second weekend of the season than on Dallas with the rumor mill already cooking.

Should the unthinkable happen, the Cowboys open 0-2, it is not fantasy that the other East teams would all be 2-0. The Cowboys are no longer the 3rd best NFC team, they're not even the 3rd best NFC East team.

Conjecture? Of course it is, that is what we do here. But this was the first thing that hit me when they let Moore walk and McCarthy took over the play calling and the QB voiced his opinion on that. This is a keep the QB happy league and this QB was already smarting from the picks. Add to that, they let his guy walk and openly state they want to run the ball more to take it out of the QB's hands.

This team is standing on shaky ground to start the season and they have to come out of the gate smoking. Think the Joneses have the patience to let McCarthy work his way out of a 0-2 hole with Quinn on stand-by?

And what makes this so specific to the Cowboys is the media is begging for this to happen, makes their jobs easier in getting in their required Cowboys coverage but a lot of them would have more fun if the team was struggling.

Go ahead, tell me it can't happen, won't happen. Others have told me that too. Right up until it happened.
You may not be too far off. I also thought firing Kellen Moore was a dumb move. But many assured me it was for the better. So . . . what do I know? I could be wrong. So we'll have to wait and see. I can see some pluses with him calling the plays. But he can't even manage the clock, and went with a lesser percentage play when he punted on 4th and 10.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The “better team” really isn’t a factor as the team that plays better and commits the fewer mistakes usually wins.

I do not see this great separation of talent except at the QB position.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I also think the reason Moore is gone is because Booger got wind of him talking to Staley. That is what started the whole feud between Booger and Johnson, he found out Johnson was talking to JAX about the new franchise.

Men with overgrown egos often confuse disloyalty with just the simple desire for change or to better one's life.

I do like this Moore fly in the ointment because you can bet there are quite a few media folks just waiting to make this comparisons.
My money would be on Moore taking flight in LA with Herbert and Chargers passing attack . And he’ll be a hot commodity again for a HC position .

And why it was a smart move getting out of Dallas which has been mostly a dead-end for coaches this era.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No argument here but what do you think the expectations are for the Joneses. Watered down NFC and they start off 0-2 and last ion the East. Are they prepared for that should it happen?

Booger bought the idea that changing from Moore to McCarthy and adding Shottenheimer would be an improvement, but what if it isn't? I do think some were quick to criticize plays called vs executed and maybe a stronger look at players instead of plays might have been warranted.
Please don’t suggest that Moores play- calling and schemes is what propelled our offense to top 5 status more than our talent . Lol

mcmvp

Reaction score
My money would be on Moore taking flight in LA with Herbert and Chargers passing attack . And he’ll be a hot commodity again for a HC position .

And why it was a smart move getting out of Dallas which has been mostly a dead-end for coaches this era.
Agree on KM success with the Chargers. He was nothing but the latest scapegoat in Dallas

Diehardblues

Reaction score
None taken and I agree but there are some extenuating circumstances here like an 80 year old owner and ex HC sitting in the DC seat. And I do not underestimate the expectations effect because every move Booger has made has been one he thought was improving his team's chances.

The perception that the NFC is weak and vulnerable also plays into this because there are teams that look to be on the rise for the future.

Of course, to fire a HC after 2 games would be unusual but if it's all on the offense and Booger thinks the entire team might respond to Quinn as his D players have, he might feel compelled to do it.

McCarthy says he wants to run the ball, Shottenheimer says he wants to run the ball, Prescott hasn't said squat about running the ball. What if they're not a good run team? I know none of the coaching staff intended to do it but with the way the season ended, all the talk of running the ball, letting Moore walk, it sure looks like they want the ball in the hands of the QB less.
That’s what it seems to be that they want to run the ball more but their moves in offseason and draft would suggest they are building more of a passing attack.

We don’t have a pound the rock style RB. And didn’t pursue one while pursuing more receivers. If we truly want to take the ball out of Prescotts hands this doesn’t appear to be the roster to do so. Is Pollard going to rush it 25 times a game? I can’t see his durability surviving that kind of punishment . Are we counting on our 6th round 5’5 RB to help carry the load. Honestly they look more like adding to the passing game .

We did draft a blocking TE. And our OL is questionable whether it can stay healthy. What happens if either of our aging veteran All Pros go out. Na, I think ultimately the ball will be in Daks hand . And let’s hope the play calling is enough or it could get ugly. The greatest hope is our defense creates turnovers providing shorter fields and keeps the opponents scoring down so we can win some 17-10 games .

ESisback

Reaction score
Im not sure 0-2 would do it but it could be more like a below .500 start even midway season or near the bye where we could be on the fringe out of contention.

That opening schedule before the bye could be brutal. After NY and the Jets we have the Cards and Pats then SF and Chargers on the road . There’s a potential for like a 2-4 start. 1-5 would definitely do it.

And if it finishes with embarrassing losses at SF and especially at LA with Moores offense out shining ours and McCarthy , that might be the straw that breaks the camels back.
What are you hoping for?

ESisback

Reaction score
Very true but for those of us who were supportive of Garrett there will be some consolation if MM struggles as well.

Much like with Jethro, it’s a double edged sword . We are ultimately rooting for his success as it translates to Cowboys Football success but there is some comfort with his disappointment or lack of success.

When we are talking about the most hated sports personality in DFW versus the most loved sports team it’s always a mixed bag of emotions.
My love of team ALWAYS outweighs my dislike for a single player or coach, or in this case, owner.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My love of team ALWAYS outweighs my dislike for a single player or coach, or in this case, owner.
Of course and what I was saying . We can root for Jethro’s success which translates to Cowboys Football success . But, there is some consolation in watching him flutter if that occurs.

ESisback

Reaction score
I’m hoping for 20-0 but that’s not what this thread is about. It’s a what if it doesn’t go as we hope.
I try not to spend too much time with doom-n-gloom what if’s. Eats up the in-the-now enjoyment time. Besides, if they moved the team to Fresno and became the “Fresno Rowdies”, with pink and purple helmets, we’d still have to go to work and pay our taxes, and 7 billion Chinese wouldn’t give a crap.

ESisback

Reaction score
Of course and what I was saying . We can root for Jethro’s success which translates to Cowboys Football success . But, there is some consolation in watching him flutter if that occurs.
Not for me, because negative impacts on him usually filters down someway to affect the fans. Of course, MY dislike for him doesn’t abnormally permeate my fandom.