The TB loss is on?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Where do you lay the blame for this loss?

Tampa 31 Dallas 29

1. The offense
2. Deffense
3. Special teams
4. Front office

A case can be made for each of these as the main culprit in this close loss. We already know our defense will be suspect at best. Winning the turnover battle 3-1 wasn't enough. It's criminal how the front office wouldn't bring in a viable kicker all off-season with zeurline out having surgery. He came back and looked bad and still they did nothing. Missed a FG and XP but don't forget Tampa went for a FG to win the game on purpose, they could have easily scored a TD. They should have stashed zeurline on it untill he was ready but it's too late now. But really I believe with how this team is built this loss is on the offense. We are supposed to be offensive juggernauts. We move the ball so we'll untill we get to the red zone and then we fail to score TD's yet again. This team can not afford to waste these opportunities.

What's y'all's perspective?

Special teams. The missed extra point and one missed field goal (I don't count the missed 60 yarder, that's not something you expect to make, more like a prayer, I think they were just getting Zuerline some more work) resulted in the final drive only being a 1 point lead vs. a 5 point lead. And that's not even mentioning the terrible punt and kickoff coverage, made too many short fields and you can't do that with any good team, let alone a defending SB champ.

Offense put up enough yards and points to win, even in this offense-minded NFL. Defense stopped the Bucs on several occasions and did have turnovers, though the end zone int was not a factor in the game. Front office? Overall they have blame for the team, but you said "this loss", the front office is responsible for the overall team, and if the coaches and trainers thought Zuerlein couldn't be effective I'm pretty sure the front office would have picked up another kicker.

But on a related note, let's hear from the following posters:

'38-13 Bucs"
'Dak sucks"
"Cooper disappears in road games"
"McGovern won't be any good"/

Nope to all...

bigE79

Reaction score

Tampa 31 Dallas 29

1. The offense
2. Deffense
3. Special teams
4. Front office

A case can be made for each of these as the main culprit in this close loss. We already know our defense will be suspect at best. Winning the turnover battle 3-1 wasn't enough. It's criminal how the front office wouldn't bring in a viable kicker all off-season with zeurline out having surgery. He came back and looked bad and still they did nothing. Missed a FG and XP but don't forget Tampa went for a FG to win the game on purpose, they could have easily scored a TD. They should have stashed zeurline on it untill he was ready but it's too late now. But really I believe with how this team is built this loss is on the offense. We are supposed to be offensive juggernauts. We move the ball so we'll untill we get to the red zone and then we fail to score TD's yet again. This team can not afford to waste these opportunities.

Everyone...you win as a team,you lose as a team but the great thing is,the bucs were the best team we will face all year and we should have won,there is better days ahead hopefully.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The pass rush or lack there of was the main reason. In my opinion.

How many teams get an effective pass rush against Brady? He was sacked 21 times last year, in 16 games. About one a game. Cowboys got zero, but it's hardly like other teams get a lot, they can have a very effective pass rush yet not get to Brady. Just too quick of a release and he throws it away if he's about to get sacked very well.

A sack or two probably wouldn't have changed the outcome, Tampa I'm sure had a few pass plays "in their back pocket" if they had gotten behind earlier/more often.

Lack of a better pass rush was a contributing reason, but not the main one in my opinion, the missed kicks and the long kickoff/punt returns by Tampa were much bigger....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Special Teams, defence, and refs

I no longer blame the refs unless they have a glaring screwup, like the non-call the Saints got a couple of years ago, or dumb calls like the "simulating a huddle" call against Dallas. Those shouldn't have been called.

They're human, and the rules are so complicated I don't think they can do a much better job. There's nobody on this Earth that could be an NFL ref and not miss a call here and there.

There were questionable calls both ways, they didn't affect the final outcome....

USArmyVet

Reaction score
In 2020 the offense was playing well with the defense and special teams the issue......the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting different results.

The front office continues to pour resources into the offense while continuing to ignore the defense (when DLaw and J. Smith account for $34.8M of the $81M dedicated to the defense there is a problem) and they expect the offense to win? You simply can't have a QB throw 58 times while rushing 18 times and expect to win as history has proven otherwise for this team.

Anyway, a loss is a loss so the blame goes all around for as the old saying goes: win as a team lose as a team.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
How many teams get an effective pass rush against Brady? He was sacked 21 times last year, in 16 games. About one a game. Cowboys got zero, but it's hardly like other teams get a lot, they can have a very effective pass rush yet not get to Brady. Just too quick of a release and he throws it away if he's about to get sacked very well.

A sack or two probably wouldn't have changed the outcome, Tampa I'm sure had a few pass plays "in their back pocket" if they had gotten behind earlier/more often.

Lack of a better pass rush was a contributing reason, but not the main one in my opinion, the missed kicks and the long kickoff/punt returns by Tampa were much bigger....

The final drive. Zero push. Zero. Brady was nearly untouched all night. Not sacks, pressure. He felt none.

MikeB80

Reaction score
The final drive. Zero push. Zero. Brady was nearly untouched all night. Not sacks, pressure. He felt none.

Not true though. Diggs nearly had a game winning interception because lawrence pressured brady and forced a bad throw, he came within inches of knocking the ball out of brady's hands.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Tampa 31 Dallas 29

1. The offense
2. Deffense
3. Special teams
4. Front office

mistakes spread around small ones that became huge

1. GZ misses xp and easy fg yet redeemed himself too little too late
2. CEEDEE yes he had two drops one turned into a int that cant happen so he had big finish but so did greg
3. Jarwins whiff blocks that one that gave 21 no room to make move
4.OL Penalties late in the game drove us back 30 yards and forced punt while in FG range
5. Dak on one 2nd half drive taking two sacks took us out of fg range

these are my top 5 because they led to taking points off the board in 2point loss..

honorable mention push off by godwin not called , would have it made a difference maybe not but rather have fg kicker kick 45 nut 39..who knows

blueblood70

Reaction score
The pass rush or lack there of was the main reason. In my opinion.
they were in brady comfort zone all night seriously so one of the best OL and best qbs in the league woin battles wow that crazy..tbv12 gets the ball out quicks hes hard to sack but we had plenty of rush all night just didnt get home..same with TB defense seriously Dak stood inlike a warrior with a pocket so small i diont know how he got the ball otu but he did..there was presure on TB most of the night caused many punts some TOs etc etc but they have top 3 offense and our DL may not have been great not many sacks but they played far better then i expected..go back and watch it while you are not into the game our defense was moving tom off his mark more times then not..hes just that great he got the ball out..shocker the GOAT and his top 3 OL and top3 wr staff and hof TE found way to move the ball..crazy huh!!??

If we play like this all 16 games left we will win a lot of games we don't play TB all 17 on the road on hot night game one with out starters not having a PS..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

No pressure? Are you kidding me? Watch the game again. Zero sacks, yes. Though at least two of the offensive holding penalties prevented more pressure and possibly 1 or 2 sacks.
But he did get pressure. Not enough, but it's the first game, let's not hit the panic button.

Besides, Brady was sacked 21 times all last year, a 20 year veteran qb with a quick release isn't going to be sacked much. Dallas isn't, and won't be, unique in that regard...

blueblood70

Reaction score
No pressure? Are you kidding me? Watch the game again. Zero sacks, yes. Though at least two of the offensive holding penalties prevented more pressure and possibly 1 or 2 sacks.
But he did get pressure. Not enough, but it's the first game, let's not hit the panic button.

Besides, Brady was sacked 21 times all last year, a 20 year veteran qb with a quick release isn't going to be sacked much. Dallas isn't, and won't be, unique in that regard...
dude needed something to complain about..

they shrunk bradys pockets and moved him off his spot all night..

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Tampa 31 Dallas 29

1. The offense
2. Deffense
3. Special teams
4. Front office

The kicker obviously.

JBond

Reaction score
We should have won that game, but if I had to put more blame on anyone it would be Greg and Brown.

I saw a Tweet that said we're the first team in NFL history to have 450+ total yards, +3 in turnovers, and have our opponent have 100 penalty yards and still lose.
The Cowboys continue to set new records!

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Poor game management. I mean we are lucky the bucks gifted us a few turnovers. That 60 yarder kick with that much time left in the game was dumb. And then the penalties on the last drive. We had like 2 offensive holding calls during that drive. Terrible. But tell me do we have to watch Connor Williams constantly get thrown around every game? I wonder when Martin comes back do we sit him for McGov

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Tampa 31 Dallas 29

1. The offense
2. Deffense
3. Special teams
4. Front office

5. Tampa Bay They are and were the better team, but not by as much as I previously thought, and they played at home for that 3 point advantage and won by 2.