The Third Big Injury Yesterday

CWR

Reaction score
Three big injuries yesterday:

1 - the heartbreaking injury to Dak Prescott

2 - the knee injury of Trysten Hill

3 - the typing hand injury to all the posters saying Jaylon Smith sucks. They all left the field in the second quarter.

Smith was all over the field with 14 tackles and 1.5 sacks. He has the talent if he isn't trying to cover for blown assignments by other players. And he will be even better when LVE is back and covering a big section of turf.

No lie I gave credit to Jaylon multiple times during the game thread. He was all over the place circa 2018.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
the type of offense the Giants run is easier for Jaylon to read and react quicker. Teams like the Rams who run a lot of play action and rotate the line in different directions is a struggle for him. When you combine his late reaction and how far he sits off the LOS it kills his game. He doesn’t flow to the ball with physicality and is unable to stack and shed consistently which means he has to fight through a fray of players to make the tackle.

I would love to see Jaylon become a good mlb but I don’t see how a guy who plays standing straight up and is a sucker for play action can be consistently good.

Ditto. Yesterday I saw him fill a gap and get de-cleated by the giants tight end. Unless he can attack a ball carrier from behind or knife in from the side he is absolute trash as a tackler.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Three big injuries yesterday:

1 - the heartbreaking injury to Dak Prescott

2 - the knee injury of Trysten Hill

3 - the typing hand injury to all the posters saying Jaylon Smith sucks. They all left the field in the second quarter.

Smith was all over the field with 14 tackles and 1.5 sacks. He has the talent if he isn't trying to cover for blown assignments by other players. And he will be even better when LVE is back and covering a big section of turf.
Got a good laugh out of you.

Sure..Jaylon had a great game.

If he can keep that up..

he will leave his critics in the dust.

I am sort of curious.

Do you think the negative reactions on the OBJ TD on the end around had anything to do with It?

I would suspect it might.

Was Nolan being down on the sidelines have anything to do with the improvement?

I would suspect it might.

I can not ever remember Ernie Stautner being in the booth.

Nor Dave Wannstead.

So maybe communication and physical presence still carries weight.

Good.

CWR

Reaction score
He had sucked in each game leading to yesterday. Let's all remember that was a Jason Garrett offense which Smith has seen everyday in practice since he entered the league. That may have helped him recognize things a little quicker. Would be real nice if he is that player every week moving forward.

That's a damn good point.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Smith had a great game. He needs consistency though as great players will have more great games than not - and he's definitely had some 'not' games.

He can't be consistent when the guys in front of him aren't funneling the play to him. Jaylon was better because the guys on the line executed the scheme better.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
What was mediocre about it? 14 tackles, pass deflections a sack.....there is absolutely no way you can belittle his performance. I don't care what the competition was nobody else stood up against inferior competition. AT the end of the day the Cowboys are in no position to sit here and call anyone mediocre. They are closer to the Giants than they are a contender at this point.
His 40 plus games as a starter speaks volumes and he is what he is. Accept the truth or convolute the facts, it's your choice not mine.

Kaiser

Reaction score
What was mediocre about it? 14 tackles, pass deflections a sack.....there is absolutely no way you can belittle his performance. I don't care what the competition was nobody else stood up against inferior competition. AT the end of the day the Cowboys are in no position to sit here and call anyone mediocre. They are closer to the Giants than they are a contender at this point.

You can belittle the game... if you are a blind hater. Its so comical to read Jaylon sucks, Jaylon is trash, Jaylon can't play... well, OK he lucked his way into one terrific game.

If you suck you don't have a game like yesterday. Not a hard concept.

sideon

Reaction score
Can't wait to see all the backtracking when he disappears against a good team.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Great post. I was getting a little down on Smith myself, but he was outstanding yesterday. I've been saying he isn't a run stuffing MLB, but he can be effective if moving around and using his legs to chase down plays. That showed up big time yesterday.

IMO the biggest improvement was that he wasn't chasing people after blown assignments.

DanA

Reaction score
Smith was a beast...period.

Sniffed out the screen pass several times, filled his gaps and hit guys hard. Blitzed well. Was pretty good in coverage too.

cowboyec

Reaction score
im a fan of Jaylon.
still think some of his issues get fixed over time...the more experience(i.e. knowledge) the better he'll be.

Zordon

Reaction score
People have been dogging him for 2 years now and it didn't motivate him lol.
He's been dogged by fans who follow the team closing. This is the first time he faced the wrath from the national media and have his effort questioned. Any man worth a lick who gets out for their lack of heart is going to fight back. The issue is can he sustain it. I doubt it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He's been dogged by fans who follow the team closing. This is the first time he faced the wrath from the national media and have his effort questioned. Any man worth a lick who gets out for their lack of heart is going to fight back. The issue is can he sustain it. I doubt it.

So we shouldn't thank you we should thank the national media?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Is it just me, anyone else noticed his swipe is also back. Makes me wonder if fans got inside his head and he stopped using it but realized how much of a motivational tool it is to him. Maybe someone ( coaches maybe???) told F what fans say, just go out and play your game. Either way, yesterday we saw THE PLAYER we expected to see.
I never noticed him stop doing it.....I think the biggest issue was he wasn't making enough plays to even do the swipe lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
His 40 plus games as a starter speaks volumes and he is what he is. Accept the truth or convolute the facts, it's your choice not mine.
What the hell are you talking about? We are talking about yesterday not his "40 plus games"...you are just looking for something to ***** about. He had a good game yesterday. End of story.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You can belittle the game... if you are a blind hater. Its so comical to read Jaylon sucks, Jaylon is trash, Jaylon can't play... well, OK he lucked his way into one terrific game.

If you suck you don't have a game like yesterday. Not a hard concept.
That's how I know its personal with some people. You can't even admit when a guy you dislike has a good game.....smh.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
One game doesn't cut it, ESPECIALLY when it's against the hapless, Barkley-less Giants. Let's see how he does over the next month, against better competition (well, against the 2 non-NFC East opponents anyway :eek: )

Until then, I'll keep on typing that he definitely needs to get better against the run AND in pass coverage, especially on PA passes. He's too often out of position, looking like a squirrel in the middle of the road trying to decide which tree to run towards as the car approaches. I need Jaylon in the film room, studying the opposing team's tendencies, so he can start anticipating the area of the field they like to attack, on runs and PA passes.

Time for him to take his game to the next level.