The Tony Pollard pick

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just the facts my man
Just the facts

Anybody expecting Moore to be a difference maker on offense this year is smoking something potent

I'm predicting that by the end of the year Garrett homies will be using marinelli and Moore as scapegoats for Garrett's failures
And you base this on?

There are two kinds of posters when it comes to the unknown, those that accept that for what it is and those that have to fill it in, usually based on their own leanings. I am the former, I have 0 knowledge of Moore as an OC.

DFWJC

Reaction score
There is always no evidence to the statement "we could have gotten him later". I always laugh at it because it is so easy to say and impossible to prove. Look at the Raiders pick at 4 . You do not know what other teams plans are!

That is always based on scouting reports of guys who are not good enough at it to get NFL jobs!
True. No way to prove.
But every team plays that game to some degree--some more than others.

I guess Pollard could've been taken early in the first round, and you could make that same argument.
No way to prove he would've fallen further, but you can make a fairly educated guess.

Fwiw, I'm pretty excited about Pollard. The guy doesn't look like some little scat back.
6'0 , 210 lbs and tough....with all that speed and elusiveness.

I tend to think they could've gotten him later, but it's the 4th Rd. The later in the draft you get, the less important it is to pick someone early. Value wise, it's not massive like in the 1st round.

Feel pretty sure that Oakland could've gotten the guy they took at 4th overall AND a 2nd or 3rd round pick by trading down just a little...minimum.
But we'll never know.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a guy go from reviled whipping boy to prodigal son the way Kellen Moore has in Dallas. And, like, overnight. This time last year people were losing their minds he was named position coach because he was completely unqualified for the job. Now he’s the offensive savior as OC and it’s like everybody just pretends this is what they always wanted and expected. It’s weird.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yeah I would have picked Johnson too. I wonder did Kellen have a list of kamaraish type RB other than pollard?

I believe Pollard could have been taken later.
It's possible but which player you want to lose over Pollard? Michael Jackson or Joe Jackson? Possibly use a mid rounder next year to get all 4......

visionary

Reaction score
And you base this on?

There are two kinds of posters when it comes to the unknown, those that accept that for what it is and those that have to fill it in, usually based on their own leanings. I am the former, I have 0 knowledge of Moore as an OC.

I would guess Moore is the least experienced OC in NFL history

Guy has been a QB coach for 1 year
1 year
He has no business being OC

You really think he can design his offense, install it, call plays, counter what other much more experienced DCs are doing and Jake adjustments?

I may be wrong but I don't think so
This has all the markings of "OC in training " like Garrett was

This FO and owner know how to sell to fans and this move is exactly that: a sales job

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
This time last year people were losing their minds he was named position coach because he was completely unqualified for the job. Now he’s the offensive savior as OC and it’s like everybody just pretends this is what they always wanted and expected. It’s weird.

Reminds me of when Jerry hired Garrett before he hired Wade Phillips.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did they let Moore make the pick or was it a team consensus to go with Pollard over Johnson?
I hope it was a team thing, and not just say, hey Kellen, who do you want. As that would be pretty bad.

If it was Moore, then I hope he can evaluate talent better than Aikman with the LeFluer pick. :muttley:

Sydla

Reaction score
I would guess Moore is the least experienced OC in NFL history

Guy has been a QB coach for 1 year
1 year
He has no business being OC

You really think he can design his offense, install it, call plays, counter what other much more experienced DCs are doing and Jake adjustments?

I may be wrong but I don't think so
This has all the markings of "OC in training " like Garrett was

This FO and owner know how to sell to fans and this move is exactly that: a sales job

And that's what makes this entire thing so intriguing. Is he really going to design and call plays on his own? Or is he basically just training under Garrett and while me might see a couple of wrinkles, Garrett will basically be calling the shots? If Moore does have complete control, will he fall on his face given he is woefully inexperienced? Or is he really some kind of offensive wunderkind that hits the ground running?

The end results of this experiment are vast and wide. I still keep coming back to the reality that in a year where the owner seemingly has put the HC on notice, they go with an OC that has been coaching for like 10 months before he was promoted.

Fascinating.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This pick is by far the most risky of the entire draft and will go a long way towards deeming it a success or failure.

They risked leaving several good players exposed that they had targeted to get what amounts to a reserve player that is destined to be stuck in niche roles.

If they can't maximize his talent and make him be what they say he can be, it will be a poor selection that clouded the efforts on Day 3.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
And that's what makes this entire thing so intriguing. Is he really going to design and call plays on his own? Or is he basically just training under Garrett and while me might see a couple of wrinkles, Garrett will basically be calling the shots? If Moore does have complete control, will he fall on his face given he is woefully inexperienced? Or is he really some kind of offensive wunderkind that hits the ground running?

The end results of this experiment are vast and wide. I still keep coming back to the reality that in a year where the owner seemingly has put the HC on notice, they go with an OC that has been coaching for like 10 months before he was promoted.

Fascinating.

Maybe Moore has some Christian McCaffrey-type plans for Pollard.

Would be nice to see the offense more unpredictable.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
The question is how much later?

Imo Pollard would have been gone had Dallas picked Johnson. But that's why I wondered did Moore have any other Kamara type guys on his list besides pollard?

Maybe we could have taken Johnson and then drafted another RB similar. Unless they believed pollord was the last of his kind on the board.

I dont know.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
This pick is by far the most risky of the entire draft and will go a long way towards deeming it a success or failure.

They risked leaving several good players exposed that they had targeted to get what amounts to a reserve player that is destined to be stuck in niche roles.

If they can't maximize his talent and make him be what they say he can be, it will be a poor selection that clouded the efforts on Day 3.

Yeah, you're right. They let all that 4th round talent slip through their fingers. Such a risk.

Sydla

Reaction score

The quest to find their next Dunbar.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Did they let Moore make the pick or was it a team consensus to go with Pollard over Johnson?
I hope it was a team thing, and not just say, hey Kellen, who do you want. As that would be pretty bad.

If it was Moore, then I hope he can evaluate talent better than Aikman with the LeFluer pick. :muttley:

Cmon man I was a David LeFluer fan!

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Oh I didn't mind the pick, he just didn't work out, and had back issues.
But when I seen it was Kellen's pick, it reminded me of that.

I believe the FO is giving most a turn to pitch on a pick. I believe that is how it will be for future drafts.

I could easily see Jerry allowing Moore to give it a shot. He is the one who wants Moore to bring more to the offense.

I cant bring moore on, tell him I want these changes and innovation, but not give him a chance at bat.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Fascinating.

It's a gutsy decision, no doubt. So un-Garrett like.