The Tony Pollard pick

visionary

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a guy go from reviled whipping boy to prodigal son the way Kellen Moore has in Dallas. And, like, overnight. This time last year people were losing their minds he was named position coach because he was completely unqualified for the job. Now he’s the offensive savior as OC and it’s like everybody just pretends this is what they always wanted and expected. It’s weird.

Not surprising at all
It's called self delusion
You are a great example of it regarding Garrett
Others choose to fool themselves at the altar of the great Moore

visionary

Reaction score
And that's what makes this entire thing so intriguing. Is he really going to design and call plays on his own? Or is he basically just training under Garrett and while me might see a couple of wrinkles, Garrett will basically be calling the shots? If Moore does have complete control, will he fall on his face given he is woefully inexperienced? Or is he really some kind of offensive wunderkind that hits the ground running?

The end results of this experiment are vast and wide. I still keep coming back to the reality that in a year where the owner seemingly has put the HC on notice, they go with an OC that has been coaching for like 10 months before he was promoted.

Fascinating.

I dont think it's intriguing
It is yet another example of fly by the seat of your pants, throw stuff against the wall and see if it sticks . It is classic Jerry. He already did HC in training now he's doing 'OC in training '

ItzKelz

Reaction score
From what I keep hearing it was Kellen Moores pick. It was told he asked. I kept hearing this thru out the week.

Then I heard it yesterday, and then again this morning listening to some cowboy bloggers.

Didnt read too much into it at first but now I am wondering if it is true.

What could Mr.Moore be up to:huh:
There are a ton of match up problems that Pollard could pose IF he turns out to be a decent runner as well as a decent receiver/route runner. Especially if he is ran out onto the field with Zeke who is an excellent runner and an average receiver/route runner. Maybe Kellen envisions causing some of those problems in his Moore Betta Offense.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Pollard boasts our special teams also. I can't imagine how good of a team we can be if we can control time of possession the way we usually do and be on the better end of field position game to game. Austin and Pollard are nice return men and add to our offense on a creative play aspect.

If our defense can generate more turnovers and the offense gets the cohesion I believe they will have, since the o-line will be healthy and the WR/TE corps have a full off-season together with the QB. Then this should be a very well rounded team with young talent and solid depth.

Pollard is a piece of the overall puzzle, not just because Kellen Moore apparently lobbied for him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not surprising at all
It's called self delusion
You are a great example of it regarding Garrett
Others choose to fool themselves at the altar of the great Moore

While others seek safety in actively not taking a stand on anything because they can always throw small rocks from the shadows at anything that moves and still pretend to be big game hunters. I think I get it now.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
From what I keep hearing it was Kellen Moores pick. It was told he asked. I kept hearing this thru out the week.

Then I heard it yesterday, and then again this morning listening to some cowboy bloggers.

Pollard seems the natural misdirection runner/deep threat gimmick player we've been looking for forever. Speed to threaten deep, size to run the ball. More frame to put weight on than all those guys. Bigger target downfield.

Could evolve into a solid all around slot WR someday too.

Olawale, Austin, and Pollard are all misdirection run threats who are also receiving threats. We brought back Olawale and Austin after using them sparingly last year. Looks like we're going to get that misdirection run game from Moore.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a guy go from reviled whipping boy to prodigal son the way Kellen Moore has in Dallas. And, like, overnight. This time last year people were losing their minds he was named position coach because he was completely unqualified for the job. Now he’s the offensive savior as OC and it’s like everybody just pretends this is what they always wanted and expected. It’s weird.

Position coach is more about experience, OC more about design. There was no reason to consider him much more than a clipboard holder for Dak as QB coach. As OC, maybe all the talk of Boy Genius is right.

The main excitement of Moore as OC is that he's *not* Linehan.

Rayman70

Reaction score
special teams makes all the difference in the world during playoff time. Pollard may be that extra bit of juice we need to beat someone. Great pick up. He adds an element that will make teams plan for him...makes us less predictable. Something we haven't had til now.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Did they let Moore make the pick or was it a team consensus to go with Pollard over Johnson?
I hope it was a team thing, and not just say, hey Kellen, who do you want. As that would be pretty bad.

If it was Moore, then I hope he can evaluate talent better than Aikman with the LeFluer pick. :muttley:
McClay was on the draft show this morning and said something about Moore went through the players they were looking at and gave his opinion. He didn't make the pick for them from what he was saying.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Pollard boasts our special teams also. I can't imagine how good of a team we can be if we can control time of possession the way we usually do and be on the better end of field position game to game. Austin and Pollard are nice return men and add to our offense on a creative play aspect.

I've only watched a few clips but Pollard looked good on returns. He runs a 40 under 4.4, which will seem like 3 seconds after watching Cole Beasley fair catch every PR for the last couple of years.

visionary

Reaction score
While others seek safety in actively not taking a stand on anything because they can always throw small rocks from the shadows at anything that moves and still pretend to be big game hunters. I think I get it now.

Oh I've taken a stand
I've said for the last 4 years (at least) that the cowboys will never win a SB with Garrett. That's taking a stand

When Garrett first came here Garrett apologists like you said that we would have multiple championships with Garrett in 10 years . Well it's been 10 years, how many championships do we have

Where is your stand other than blind worship of a moron

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Could be as our QB is the KING of the dink and dunk and Tony is prefect for this type of passing......

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Because he is completely inexperienced
You think any former QB can just walk in and become OC? Give me a break
5 years from now he may be a good/great OC
This year he will struggle but that's why Garrett and Jerry hired him

The perfect way to give Garrett an extension

Moore is good: Garrett extended because "Garrett did a great job mentoring a first year OC. Ready to take the next step next year"

Moore is bad: Garrett extended because "Moore was a first year OC, what else do you expect? He's learning. He'll be better next year"
Jerry Jones does not need a reason to resign Garrett! If JJ wants Garrett to be the coach he WILL be the coach. They do not need a scapegoat Jerry does what Jerry wants to do plain and simple. We may not like it, Stephen may not like it, McClay may not like it but it is Jerry's team.

visionary

Reaction score
Jerry Jones does not need a reason to resign Garrett! If JJ wants Garrett to be the coach he WILL be the coach. They do not need a scapegoat Jerry does what Jerry wants to do plain and simple. We may not like it, Stephen may not like it, McClay may not like it but it is Jerry's team.

He needs something to appease simpleton Cowboy fans

He understands the language of money and he understands how to separate stupid Cowboy fans from their money

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Broaddus said the Cowboys had Mike Weber rated a tick ahead of Tony Pollard. 3rd round grades.

5th's on Wise and Walker
Sounds like from everything that's been said on the udfa's that Wise, Walker, Westry, Hyatt, Knight, Johnson, and Guyton are the ones with draftable grades.

Proof

Reaction score

You don’t say. Our surprise gadget player pick being at the behest of our new OC. where are you hearing these radical ideas?

Rayman70

Reaction score
can't coach speed and toughness. Pollard actually has both. Highly versatile and productive player. SPEED KILLS. This may put guys like Noah Brown and Lance Lenoir on notice. Look at a couple of the UDFA WR'S we have signed...they are sub 4.4 40 guys. What makes Pollard dynamic though is he can play anywhere you ask him to.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Question is will Kellens daddy (Garrett) let him call his own plays.