The trade back was a thing of beauty!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Quantity isn't always the best answer though. Sometimes you have to just take the best player on your board and be happy with it. Once you get outside the top 50 picks most years the success rate drops significantly.
I get what you're saying but I don't fully agree with this. So because they're not in the top 10 or so, they can't come in and be heavy contributors/fast learners. People on here believe that Mazi will take YEARS to develop, does this mean he can't be successful?

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Jerry says time for the bad players to suddenly be good!! And you can win a Super Bowl through the draft!!!

jujoboys

Reaction score
What was even more crazy about it is that I have been doing one of those draft simulators with free trades and that same trade proposal pops up pretty often. I would take it every time regardless of who was on the board.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I don’t know about you guys but that trade back opened up so many more options now. We have three picks tonight where we can fill major needs. RB, LB, and whatever else is there DE, DT, WR. All needs.

Not having that 4th was a killer going into the draft but with the trade it’s opened the whole thing up! We could even use our own 3rd for Michael Pratt if we get our LB and RB with the first two pick’s tonight. Lots of variables here.
It was GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!
BUT, it don't take away the stink of the off season....
The off season in more than just the draft folks!

Aven8

Reaction score
It was GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!
BUT, it don't take away the stink of the off season....
The off season in more than just the draft folks!
Well obviously now our Brass is emulating the GB packers this season and going with youth. We have a tendency to try and copy the teams we get beat by in the playoffs!!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don’t know about you guys but that trade back opened up so many more options now. We have three picks tonight where we can fill major needs. RB, LB, and whatever else is there DE, DT, WR. All needs.

Not having that 4th was a killer going into the draft but with the trade it’s opened the whole thing up! We could even use our own 3rd for Michael Pratt if we get our LB and RB with the first two pick’s tonight. Lots of variables here.
Meh. Should have traded down again from #29 into the upper 2nd round while picking up another 3rd and a 4th round picks. Stephen Jones said they had several calls offering to trade that #29th pick, but the dummies panicked as usual and said NO.

Bunch of dummies. They don't know how to trade and pick up more picks in the top 3-4 rounds which they needed because of so many holes to fill.

Smith22

Reaction score

They got great value by getting #73 in that move.

Hopefully they use it well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Posters like Marathon feels we don't need the extra picks, but hey that's his opinion it's all good. It was a thing of beauty, you could tell they weren't picking anyone, usually when they have the pick in, everyone is giving high fives etc etc, you can tell they were fielding calls. They had a plan and it worked out I'm happy!
This ain’t no shout out lol….

For the record I didn’t think we needed to trade away from talent to get a 4th rounder. I still feel that way but a 3rd rounder you can’t beat. Not what I would do but I give them their props. A smart trade.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

If it falls well for them…they can get a center, RB and a linebacker….3 starters in 2 rounds….i hope no projects.

Aven8

Reaction score
Meh. Should have traded down again from #29 into the upper 2nd round while picking up another 3rd and a 4th round picks. Stephen Jones said they had several calls offering to trade that #29th pick, but the dummies panicked as usual and said NO.

Bunch of dummies. They don't know how to trade and pick up more picks in the top 3-4 rounds which they needed because of so many holes to fill.
It was too risky. While Guyton might not be Tyron yet, had you not gotten a Tackle you’re looking at Ebogba or Asim Richards.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I get what you're saying but I don't fully agree with this. So because they're not in the top 10 or so, they can't come in and be heavy contributors/fast learners. People on here believe that Mazi will take YEARS to develop, does this mean he can't be successful?
Not at all, I'm actually a big Mazi supporter and think he ends up a really good player for this team. My issue that the Cowboys free agency failure has put them in a position where they basically have to hit on multiple starters in this draft. If you need plug and play type starters trading back multiple times is not a great strategy. I wont bash yesterdays trade because they got good value and a guy who fits the bill physically. Personally its not the move I would have made simply because I think Barton is a plug and play C right away.

Even 3rd round picks fewer than 20% of players drafted see 2nd contracts from the team that drafted them. Only about 10% of 3rd round picks will see a pro bowl their entire career, and about half of these guys are out of the league completely by year 4. The vast majority of guys after round 2 are career backups and situational guys. Not a bad thing, don't get me wrong, but this team needs guys who can compete for time at LB, C, RB, DT and a couple other positions to a lesser extent. You can find these guys in rounds 3-4 but it's tough to do.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Not at all, I'm actually a big Mazi supporter and think he ends up a really good player for this team. My issue that the Cowboys free agency failure has put them in a position where they basically have to hit on multiple starters in this draft. If you need plug and play type starters trading back multiple times is not a great strategy. I wont bash yesterdays trade because they got good value and a guy who fits the bill physically. Personally its not the move I would have made simply because I think Barton is a plug and play C right away.

Even 3rd round picks fewer than 20% of players drafted see 2nd contracts from the team that drafted them. Only about 10% of 3rd round picks will see a pro bowl their entire career, and about half of these guys are out of the league completely by year 4. The vast majority of guys after round 2 are career backups and situational guys. Not a bad thing, don't get me wrong, but this team needs guys who can compete for time at LB, C, RB, DT and a couple other positions to a lesser extent. You can find these guys in rounds 3-4 but it's tough to do.
I can't disagree with ANYTHING you said, I just feel like we've lost so many players, and they're trying to fill the holes in this manner, I think this was the plan coming into the draft. It so happened that they had the board fall the way it did with players going off. Barton pick would have been great, but I just feel they wanted to get more to fill holes. The "more" is also cheap, and we know how lucrative Stephen is!! He loves pie lol

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I can't disagree with ANYTHING you said, I just feel like we've lost so many players, and they're trying to fill the holes in this manner, I think this was the plan coming into the draft. It so happened that they had the board fall the way it did with players going off. Barton pick would have been great, but I just feel they wanted to get more to fill holes. The "more" is also cheap, and we know how lucrative Stephen is!! He loves pie lol
Agreed. Ultimately the issue is the lack of activity in free agency, not the draft. Can you imagine the flexibility they would have had they gone out and gotten at least a couple of band aid fixes for 2024? Not big money guys, but even just a vet DT and WR on reasonable 1-2 year deals could have gone a long way IMO.