The truth about Jaylon Smith's 2019 season

Malhavoc

Reaction score
The DT position is the worst part of our defense. We got nothing. We have to add impact guys inside. Smith and LVE are flawed. Neither are the most physical guys. Both take questionable angles to the ball. Gotta have a dude or 2 in the middle. Guys that can occupy and do a better job of protecting your LB’s.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The DT position is the worst part of our defense. We got nothing. We have to add impact guys inside. Smith and LVE are flawed. Neither are the most physical guys. Both take questionable angles to the ball. Gotta have a dude or 2 in the middle. Guys that can occupy and do a better job of protecting your LB’s.
DT was on top of their list last year this time as well. They have ignored investing much in the way of draft picks or money on the interior of their DL for years now.

They just may address it IF MM is made aware of it. If not, we're back to square one.

ultron

Reaction score
Okay I get it.

Everybody take note when this dude quotes you and says things like all you people he's not really talking to you. Now nobody will ever know who you are talking too kinda like they don't know what you're talking about either.
I responded to you and then I followed up on my original post/opinion about Quinn - it's not a 1 on 1 conversation between you & I, and I can't quote everybody in this thread. It was a general statement - my apologizes for the confusion.

irishline

Reaction score
You guys can discredit Pro Bowls all you want but at the end of the day they don't just put bench reserve guys in the Pro Bowl. I don't recall Dexter Coakley getting a bunch of Pro Bowl appearances.

At this point in Dexter and Jaylon's careers (3 years playing) they both have been to one pro-bowl.

Not comparing players but Dexter went to three pro-bowls in his seven years as a starter (almost 50%).

So what does that say about the pro-bowl and/or Dexter? Other than its the reason we here on this forum included him in every trade thought we had/have of course.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
At this point in Dexter and Jaylon's careers (3 years playing) they both have been to one pro-bowl.

Not comparing players but Dexter went to three pro-bowls in his seven years as a starter (almost 50%).

So what does that say about the pro-bowl and/or Dexter? Other than its the reason we here on this forum included him in every trade thought we had/have of course.
Ok maybe I should’ve said Dat Nguyen or someone. My point was if you make the Pro Bowl chances are you are a good player in this league. They don’t just put anyone in there.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would not compare Smith's last season with Kuechly's really last season, the one he chose to retire on because he can no longer play like Luke Kuechly. Stats are better used when one cannot use their eyes to watch someone play.

I watched him closely in replays of the game and he is not back to the form he had at ND, he doesn't move as well or as quickly. And he was a force all over the field. If he hadn't had that injury in the bowl game, some had teams trading up to the #1 spot to get him. He played the run, covered backs and WR's and rushed the QB like a DE, he was something to watch. I am doubtful that he will ever be back to the health level he was prior to that injury and he was really dependent on his wheels and ability to change direction and accelerate at ND.

Jaylon Smith is still a very good player but he invites the criticism because it appears he celebrates individual plays when the team is out of it, seems more interested in his business than football from appearances and some still hold a grudge because they wasted a 2nd rounder that year they took him. The fact that he lost his running buddy, and the combo of Jaylon and Leighton were the best D duo in the latter half of 2018, seems lost on some critics.

Let's see how Smith, Lawrence, Vander Esch and Yosemite perform this season.

Praxit

Reaction score
..sure you didnt Photoshop those stats? ..;) I'm very surprised, how good he did. On the field it looked way different.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
This is what I saw as well. There should be a stat that shows where the tackles were made. For example was the tackle made <4 yds or >4 yds. Was it made chasing a guy 23yds downfield or did he tackle him at the line of scrimmage etc etc.

Jaylon was a huge reason why we were among the very worst at covering the screen and would overrun nearly every play against teams utilizing a zone blocking scheme. He would NEVER take on an offensive lineman and would rather backpedal out of the way than take the blocker on and force the ball carrier in/out. He played like a cornerback unless the guy coming at him was smaller than he was. He was atrocious awful.
TRUTH!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm not mad at all and I'm not talking to you directly about Quinn - I'm talking to this whole forum as a totality. People actually think this guy should be signed over Byron Jones.....
Because people are so concerned about interceptions, they seem to be willing to give up more TDs just to get some.

streetcredit

Reaction score
This is what I saw as well. There should be a stat that shows where the tackles were made. For example was the tackle made <4 yds or >4 yds. Was it made chasing a guy 23yds downfield or did he tackle him at the line of scrimmage etc etc.

Jaylon was a huge reason why we were among the very worst at covering the screen and would overrun nearly every play against teams utilizing a zone blocking scheme. He would NEVER take on an offensive lineman and would rather backpedal out of the way than take the blocker on and force the ball carrier in/out. He played like a cornerback unless the guy coming at him was smaller than he was. He was atrocious awful.
You're actually being too kind...he should have been benched

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
u can’t diss sacks as the most overrated stat to discredit a player then use an even worse stat (tackles...lol) to prop up ur guy.
Really?

Around here it's called padding your post.

Whichever stat helps you..you quote.

Whichever doesn't you ignore and move on.

If we can't do that, then we have to actually speak the truth.

Who's going to reply to that?

Viva la lie!

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I could really careless about sacks, holding pentalities often lead to more lost yardage than a sack. Quinn sucks and you people are way too high on him. He screwed this defense more than he helped it - period.
o_O

Trueboysfan

Reaction score
So there's some threads and posts floating around that are flat out ludacris. A guy just posted that Jaylon is an embarrassment to the organization so I feel compelled to offer you this:

Player A: 144 tackles (81 solo), 0 sacks. 2 ints

Player B: 142 tackles (83 solo), 2.5 sacks, 1 ints

Player A is Luke Kuechly
Player B is Jaylon Smith

Jaylon had the 6th most tackles in the entire NFL (3 solo tackles behind league leader Bobby Wagner; largely regarded as the best LB in the NFL). Jaylon also had .5 less sacks and the same number of INTs as Wagner.

To say Jaylon is an embarrassment to this organization is an embarrassing thing to say - the guy isn't even in his prime yet and had to deal with idiots like Robert Quinn not being able to stop the run or screens to save his damn life (the guy had 26 solo tackles in 2019). Quinn was sack hunting the whole season so he could get a big contract & it compromised this whole defense (especially the LBs - in my opinion). I get some of you are in love with Quinn because sacks (the most overrated thing in all of football) make people fall in love with players. If I'm the Cowboys I couldn't get rid of Quinn fast enough & this Jaylon Smith slander needs to stop - it's ridiculous.
Lol ya man, I went and looked Jaylon up this year because by what I read on here led me to believe that he is just garbage...then I see his stats and was like..."what do these people want?" I mean I feel like this board is full of 90% trolls by the things that get said about the players compared to how they stacked up against thier peers.