The truth about Jaylon Smith's 2019 season

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Player A: 121 tackles - 82 solo - 39 asst tackles

Player B: 142 tackles - 83 solo - 59 asst tackles

Player A is Smith in the 2018 season

Player B - Smith 2019

Two very different seasons for Smith....maybe sometimes the numbers do lie. ; )

And not for nothin but LVE has kinda been getting a free ride cause he also wasn't exactly lighting it up before his injury.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
I watched every game and he was awful. He showed poor instincts and ability to diagnose a play. He was typically late to react and made MANY of his tackles downfield. He was easily blocked and often attempted to sidestep blockers instead of taking them on and shedding. Those things aren't debatable - it's what happened. He was an ABSOLUTE WEAKNESS on this defense. The Pro Bowl thing was a joke - like when Roy Williams would make it when he was getting burned left and right. Jaylon's tackle numbers remind me of a QB who plays like crap, loses, but gets 300 yards. Like the QB's meaningless yards, Smith's tackles are often after the RB has made a nice gain and he was just chasing. His story is nice, but he was NOT a good LB this year.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I could really careless about sacks, holding pentalities often lead to more lost yardage than a sack. Quinn sucks and you people are way too high on him. He screwed this defense more than he helped it - period.
You claim tackles are superior to sacks and I pointed out that a sack is a tackle by a different name now you mad.

And I never said anything about Quinn. Period.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
player A . sacks - 22.5 - 2001

player B. sacks - 2.5 - 2019

A) Michael Strahan .

B) Smith .

Can we at least benchmark the stats to someone better ?

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Player A: 121 tackles - 82 solo - 39 asst tackles

Player B: 142 tackles - 83 solo - 59 asst tackles

Player A is Smith in the 2018 season

Player B - Smith 2019

Two very different seasons for Smith....maybe sometimes the numbers do lie. ; )

And not for nothin but LVE has kinda been getting a free ride cause he also wasn't exactly lighting it up before his injury.

I was going to post something similar about how Jaylon was better in '18 but the stats didn't show it.
As far as LVE, he had an excellent rookie year. He was off to a poor start in his 2nd year and was injured. I wouldn't exactly call it a "free ride" - just a poor start to his 2nd year while dealing with an injury. Jaylon, despite being taken with almost a 1st round pick (was it 34?), had a red shirt year, then a terrible 2nd year, a good 3rd year, and a bad 4th year. But he's a feel good story and he smiles a lot so let's keep defending him. If anyone has gotten a "free ride" it's Smith who, overall, has NOT been worthy of such a high pick.

Proof

Reaction score
Lol!!!! My handle has zero to do with my affinity for curvy, voluptuous ladies with nice

LOL!!!!! My handle has zero to do with my affinity for curvy, voluptuous ladies with nice derrieres. It's a reminder for me to meet my career goals and to reinforce my commitment to entrepreneurship and benevolence.

:laugh: Just messin with ya

ItzKelz

Reaction score
So there's some threads and posts floating around that are flat out ludacris. A guy just posted that Jaylon is an embarrassment to the organization so I feel compelled to offer you this:

Player A: 144 tackles (81 solo), 0 sacks. 2 ints

Player B: 142 tackles (83 solo), 2.5 sacks, 1 ints

Player A is Luke Kuechly
Player B is Jaylon Smith

Jaylon had the 6th most tackles in the entire NFL (3 solo tackles behind league leader Bobby Wagner; largely regarded as the best LB in the NFL). Jaylon also had .5 less sacks and the same number of INTs as Wagner.

To say Jaylon is an embarrassment to this organization is an embarrassing thing to say - the guy isn't even in his prime yet and had to deal with idiots like Robert Quinn not being able to stop the run or screens to save his damn life (the guy had 26 solo tackles in 2019). Quinn was sack hunting the whole season so he could get a big contract & it compromised this whole defense (especially the LBs - in my opinion). I get some of you are in love with Quinn because sacks (the most overrated thing in all of football) make people fall in love with players. If I'm the Cowboys I couldn't get rid of Quinn fast enough & this Jaylon Smith slander needs to stop - it's ridiculous.
giphy.gif

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Smiths first 2 years I dont really look at cause of the injury but after that 2018 season one could see why he would have been a top 5-10 pick if he doesn't get hurt.

2019 both he and LVE regressed,(and the whole D for that matter) dont really know why - but like most things probably a combination of reasons.
Might be they read their press clipping and just didn't have that same edge, maybe they didn't study as hard in the film room - cause they seem to be a bit slow to react compared to the 2018 season.

Like I said the whole D regressed - all 3 levels - hopefully the new coaching staff could turns things around.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I watched every game and he was awful. He showed poor instincts and ability to diagnose a play. He was typically late to react and made MANY of his tackles downfield. He was easily blocked and often attempted to sidestep blockers instead of taking them on and shedding. Those things aren't debatable - it's what happened. He was an ABSOLUTE WEAKNESS on this defense. The Pro Bowl thing was a joke - like when Roy Williams would make it when he was getting burned left and right. Jaylon's tackle numbers remind me of a QB who plays like crap, loses, but gets 300 yards. Like the QB's meaningless yards, Smith's tackles are often after the RB has made a nice gain and he was just chasing. His story is nice, but he was NOT a good LB this year.

This is what I saw as well. There should be a stat that shows where the tackles were made. For example was the tackle made <4 yds or >4 yds. Was it made chasing a guy 23yds downfield or did he tackle him at the line of scrimmage etc etc.

Jaylon was a huge reason why we were among the very worst at covering the screen and would overrun nearly every play against teams utilizing a zone blocking scheme. He would NEVER take on an offensive lineman and would rather backpedal out of the way than take the blocker on and force the ball carrier in/out. He played like a cornerback unless the guy coming at him was smaller than he was. He was atrocious awful.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I threw Quinn under the bus because that's where he belongs. I'd give anything to get Randy Gregory back.
what you smoking?> Quinn was the only one getting steady sacks...now you want back players who cant stay active..a pot smoker vs a producer..very odd dude

blueblood70

Reaction score
Is that the new standard?

HOF or complete scrub who is stealing money?

I don’t think anyone has gotten out the anointing oil for Jaylon. There’s just some *reasonable* pushback against those who have embraced the meme and run with it.
I gave you 3 options more legitimate then a PB..the PB is simply not as good a barometer as it used to be..I never took issue with JS I actually was defending him , just added the PB is not a strong argument for him..

ondaedg

Reaction score
what you smoking?> Quinn was the only one getting steady sacks...now you want back players who cant stay active..a pot smoker vs a producer..very odd dude

Quinn was a liability against the run anytime they ran at him. He would either rush himself out of the play or struggle in blocker traffic. He was better in pursuit. Hard to value one trick ponies in today's game.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
In that regard, He's eerily similar to Lavar Arrington (totally different body type), very explosive player with good people skills but football dumb for the most part.
Very good analogy, being a native Texan stuck outside of DC I watched that bum play and get accolades that I never understood. And he marketed himself very well, at least in the local area here.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Quinn was a liability against the run anytime they ran at him. He would either rush himself out of the play or struggle in blocker traffic. He was better in pursuit. Hard to value one trick ponies in today's game.
hes had 10times the career of Gregory and had a good year for us..jeez man you are hypocrite you cry because of the hate toward JS but troll on quinn,.. quinn did nothing to hurt the team..ive seen many True pass rushing DEs like ware and others that rushed to hard on plays and lose the edge to RBs.its happens..

he long in the tooth and many layers lie that take on situational role plays and hes a great pass rusher.. what were out options there? Crawford hurt and not the best sack artist, Gregory suspended., tank a bit off, and no name s behind him.. Quinn was our only option..maybe blame the coaching staff for not limiting his snap count to more pass downs and using other in known run downs.. same as Witten being over used..

it was coaching issue more then blame quinn for being who he is, a great pass rusher..

ultron

Reaction score
You claim tackles are superior to sacks and I pointed out that a sack is a tackle by a different name now you mad.

And I never said anything about Quinn. Period.
I'm not mad at all and I'm not talking to you directly about Quinn - I'm talking to this whole forum as a totality. People actually think this guy should be signed over Byron Jones.....

ultron

Reaction score
hes had 10times the career of Gregory and had a good year for us..jeez man you are hypocrite you cry because of the hate toward JS but troll on quinn,.. quinn did nothing to hurt the team..ive seen many True pass rushing DEs like ware and others that rushed to hard on plays and lose the edge to RBs.its happens..

he long in the tooth and many layers lie that take on situational role plays and hes a great pass rusher.. what were out options there? Crawford hurt and not the best sack artist, Gregory suspended., tank a bit off, and no name s behind him.. Quinn was our only option..maybe blame the coaching staff for not limiting his snap count to more pass downs and using other in known run downs.. same as Witten being over used..

it was coaching issue more then blame quinn for being who he is, a great pass rusher..

No one is crying or mad, how is what I'm saying coming across as me 'crying' or 'mad' - I'm stating facts. They limited his snap count to rushing downs because HE SUCKS AGAINST THE RUN. He is not a great pass rusher either, he's an above average pass rusher & if you take away the fact that he doesn't do anything else - the simple fact is he's not a good DE and he's a liability to this defense. He's the one that the forum should be torching - not Jaylon, that's all I'm saying.

Also, if you think Quinn is 10x better than Randy Gregory you're just flat out wrong, if they get rid of the marijuana ban like they're talking about - you'll see a much more complete DE than Robert Quinn.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Him and his stupid swipe crap when they are down 3 scores. Terrible angles, missing tackles, refusing to take on blocks. How many TFLs did he have?

Yep, and dancing over the injured Bear Wr ......after looking back to make sure he was injured.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm not mad at all and I'm not talking to you directly about Quinn - I'm talking to this whole forum as a totality. People actually think this guy should be signed over Byron Jones.....
Okay I get it.

Everybody take note when this dude quotes you and says things like all you people he's not really talking to you. Now nobody will ever know who you are talking too kinda like they don't know what you're talking about either.