The Video Game Thread

HungryLion

Reaction score
@Jammer

how is playing the switch going so far? Have you gotten some play in with the grandkids?

When I was a kid. I used to play the original nintendo games all the time with my pop pop. Super Mario bros 3, the original Mario kart on Super Nintendo, etc.

We had a ton of fun playing until all hours of the night on a Friday or Saturday night.

I still remember those times.

you’re gonna be making great memories for your grandchildren

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@Jammer

how is playing the switch going so far? Have you gotten some play in with the grandkids?

When I was a kid. I used to play the original nintendo games all the time with my pop pop. Super Mario bros 3, the original Mario kart on Super Nintendo, etc.

We had a ton of fun playing until all hours of the night on a Friday or Saturday night.

I still remember those times.

you’re gonna be making great memories for your grandchildren
I haven't had a chance to play with them yet. I did buy a couple of extra controllers (the kind that looks sort of like the PS4 controller) and they work way better than the original Joy controllers. I've downloaded a couple of old Nintendo games and I'm kidding a kick of going back in time. This thing will get a lot of use.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to play with them yet. I did buy a couple of extra controllers (the kind that looks sort of like the PS4 controller) and they work way better than the original Joy controllers. I've downloaded a couple of old Nintendo games and I'm kidding a kick of going back in time. This thing will get a lot of use.

Yeah the pro controllers are way better than the joy cons. I have a couple of them as well.

saves a beating on the joy cons also. So you can just use the joy cons when you are in handheld mode.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I ordered the Xbox elite series 2 controller. And I also ordered

SCUF Elite Series 2 Paddles and upgraded thumb sticks to add onto the elite controller.

I will be picking them up on Friday from Best Buy.

I am looking to get a new headset as mine is 6 years old, is a wired one and is missing some pieces. I want to get a wireless headset next.

I know Xbox is coming out with a new headset I may get. But are there any others that folks have and recommend I take a look at?

You'll have to let us know how you like that Elite controller. I love the way the controller feels in my hand, it's got a nice weight to it, and the build feels solid. I'm just not sure about the triggers underneath and if I could bring myself to spend that much on a controller. haha

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Anybody ever play The Division 2? I had Gamefly bucks that needed to be spent awhile back, couldn't figure out anything I wanted, and just threw a dart (so to speak) at The Division 2. Well, fast forward 6-8 months and I'm sitting there going through my library and realized I had the game. Totally forgot about it. Looks like it got an X/S update so I grabbed the disc and threw it in.

So far, it doesn't seem to be too bad. I'm starting to figure things out. While I don't feel it's quite as good as Ghost Recon Wildlands (that was a great game) I think it has me interested enough to keep going.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Anybody ever play The Division 2? I had Gamefly bucks that needed to be spent awhile back, couldn't figure out anything I wanted, and just threw a dart (so to speak) at The Division 2. Well, fast forward 6-8 months and I'm sitting there going through my library and realized I had the game. Totally forgot about it. Looks like it got an X/S update so I grabbed the disc and threw it in.

So far, it doesn't seem to be too bad. I'm starting to figure things out. While I don't feel it's quite as good as Ghost Recon Wildlands (that was a great game) I think it has me interested enough to keep going.
I remember liking that intro DC scene, but with it being more MP I found it a little tough to navigate trying to run it solo. Some games let you do it but it's almost too difficult (Payday 2 is another one) for some stuff you need other players. I liked that it was a little more realistic looking than some of the Apex and Overwatch type of MP games with the super abilities.

I'll have to give Ghost Recon a try, kinda need a FPS/RPG type of game right now like Far Cry for the next gen systems. Hopefully that Outriders game is okay

HungryLion

Reaction score

I used to ply Division 2 a lot. Its been a while.

It’s a good game. It’s obviously more of a tactical based shooter. I never really did PvP with it. But would do missions and the raids with my group of Xbox friends.

In a way. When you get to the high end raiding. It’s similar to some other MMO’s in which by getting specific gear and specific special abilities you kind of want to get different abilities.

like in my group I was spec out to do as much damage per second as possible. I had a buddy who was our tank and would have the highest armor possible and be the one to get closer to enemies and draw their attention. We had a buddy who would act as the healer and heal the tank and the damage guys.

at the high end raiding or doing missions on The hardest setting. You need to strategize like that. It’s a very tactical based game.

I do enjoy the gear and weapon progression system. Where you can mix and match different bonuses that your guns and gear get. It’s a very involved game.

A lot of fun.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Finally getting around to FF Type-0 HD on PS4. I got this game, because it's Final Fantasy, and because it had the FFXV demo. I played it very briefly after I got it, and put it aside to get to later. I'm not really a fan. The action/gameplay is solid enough, but this game is like a master class in how NOT to tell a story. That seems to be common with FF games for a while now, but this one seems to out "shine" all the others in that area. It's okay, though. It's not that long, and you can cheat to gain levels, so I should be done with it soon enough.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Best Buy had a drop of PS5s today. I had a PS5 system in my cart 5 different times and I struck out each time I went to checkout. They were dropping them at various intervals so after I struck out once I would try again and sometimes the availability was in a different city about an hour drive away, but I wasn't worried about that. I wasn't looking to get one as I've given up looking for a PS5 for another couple of months but I got notifications Best Buy had them so I figured I would give it the old college try.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
Best Buy had a drop of PS5s today. I had a PS5 system in my cart 5 different times and I struck out each time I went to checkout. They were dropping them at various intervals so after I struck out once I would try again and sometimes the availability was in a different city about an hour drive away, but I wasn't worried about that. I wasn't looking to get one as I've given up looking for a PS5 for another couple of months but I got notifications Best Buy had them so I figured I would give it the old college try.

Yeah wal mart had a drop of series X again yesterday. But apparently you gotta sign up for Xbox credit or some crap like that now?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I remember liking that intro DC scene, but with it being more MP I found it a little tough to navigate trying to run it solo. Some games let you do it but it's almost too difficult (Payday 2 is another one) for some stuff you need other players. I liked that it was a little more realistic looking than some of the Apex and Overwatch type of MP games with the super abilities.

I'll have to give Ghost Recon a try, kinda need a FPS/RPG type of game right now like Far Cry for the next gen systems. Hopefully that Outriders game is okay
I used to ply Division 2 a lot. Its been a while.

It’s a good game. It’s obviously more of a tactical based shooter. I never really did PvP with it. But would do missions and the raids with my group of Xbox friends.

In a way. When you get to the high end raiding. It’s similar to some other MMO’s in which by getting specific gear and specific special abilities you kind of want to get different abilities.

like in my group I was spec out to do as much damage per second as possible. I had a buddy who was our tank and would have the highest armor possible and be the one to get closer to enemies and draw their attention. We had a buddy who would act as the healer and heal the tank and the damage guys.

at the high end raiding or doing missions on The hardest setting. You need to strategize like that. It’s a very tactical based game.

I do enjoy the gear and weapon progression system. Where you can mix and match different bonuses that your guns and gear get. It’s a very involved game.

A lot of fun.

I will keep chipping away on it and see what happens. I don't have any other online friends that are playing it, so, was hoping to roll solo. I suppose if I get stuck on it, well, is what it is. That's what happened to me on Anthem. Despite it getting hammered by people, I found myself enjoying the game quite a bit. Problem is, trying to treat it as a solo campaign didn't yield good results. There are a few mission areas that I'm not sure are possible to beat solo. lol So the game kind of went stale in my rotation.

I've pretty much just gave up at this point. I peek every now and again to see if I can find any in stock but I'm not going to overexert myself doing so. I was luckily enough to get a Series X, so that quenches my gaming thirst for now, but I do still want a PS5 eventually. I'm just going to be patient about it. Does seem to be getting annoying now though anytime a console drops that it has to be this rat race to attain one.