The Video Game Thread

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

This is the game I am waiting for. I am buying a new computer for this one.

I played the original everquest when it came out and for 5 or 6 years, and no game has ever come close to that for me. The difficulty, penalties, strategy, expanse, and raids. 3 hour trips across world to retrieve bodies, 40 man raids where you had 6 healer complete heal cycle rotation on the main tank going off every second or a complete wipe, with enchanters charming 4 side mobs, and off tanks having to tank random mobs that spawned every few minutes during the fight. Loot being so diverse that no one has the same gear, because of bosses that spawn once a week, and guild races to kill it, with loot that is extremely rare and no one has. Experience loss on deaths, hell levels, having to do raids over and over to equip the guild so that you are able to kill the next level of bosses, spending weeks doing quests getting everyone in the guild keyed for dungeons, etc No mercy in any part of the game

Hopefully this game goes back to that type of mmo. I hate mmo's, where everyone can easily get the same gear, use addons instead of strategy and skill, and do the cookie cutter thing. But with twitch and fight videos, I don't think it can go back to the way it was

Another game I am waiting for

Cautiously optimistic about this one as well as Rise of the Pantheon which by all accounts will be more similar to EQ.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I was interested in Ashes of Creation when they announced it years ago but given how many games are promoted as if they are about to release in the near future only to never release or to turn into never-ending cash grabs (ex: Star Citizen), I just quit caring about most games now until they release and non-media/influencer (aka: non-paid) people start playing them and writing reviews.

I hope AoC turns out to be everything they said it would be years ago, but at this point I will believe it when (or if) I see it.

As for the "My Time at Sandrock" game, is that just a sequel to the "My Time at Portia" game?

Ditto for Camelot Unchained, i almost bought a founders pack years ago and at this point am glad i did not. Very few actual gameplay videos, but always have a flashy screenshot or some concept art to post. What is it, 12 million dollars and 8 years later and still not even in beta? Ditto for Crowfall which has turned out to be a flop. Only hope a EQ type old school MMORPG is probably Rise of the Pantheon{maybe:laugh:}.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I own the first game but only played it a little, though that was more of a "too many games to play" problem rather than not liking it. I liked the style of game it was. They really should consider making an online (MMO even) game of it.

If you like games like that and MMOs, you should check out Palia which is sending out alpha invites now to people who signed up for it in the past.

Gameplay teaser from summer 2021 ..

Another general video about the alpha by a youtuber a week ago ..

Signed up, looks very interesting. Almost reminds me of that game Free Realms that was popular but was closed down several years ago.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Signed up, looks very interesting. Almost reminds me of that game Free Realms that was popular but was closed down several years ago.
While I did not play it, my guess is Daybreak shut down that game because it was likely more popular with kids than adults.

There is a group working on reverse engineering the server and getting it back online though they have not posted any updates in a long time ..
https://www.frsunrise.com/

Many MMOs that have been shutdown (and some that were not) now have "rogue" servers running that allow people to keep playing the game. Companies used to try to stop those servers, but most American MMO companies allow them to exist now (likely due to wanting to avoid a potential legal precedent being set [and not in their favor] for purchased-yet-abandoned games reasons) as long as they are not monetized.

Disney, which has their own in-house legal team, is very aggressive at protecting their brands yet they allowed a group to bring back their old "Toontown" MMO game with a rogue server ..
https://www.toontownrewritten.com/

Palia looks like it will be targeted at all age groups, which is smart. I also think it will be one of many "virtual world" or "theme park" MMOs we see over the next couple of years as the push to the "metaverse" becomes more popular with average people.

Vanity spending online continues to increase so the next logical transition is to create virtual worlds where people can buy the latest digital fads and trends.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it does look similar to eq, it looks like one of the lead guys from eq was working on it until he died
Since they lost Brad McQuaid, I am not as hopeful or optimistic as I once was for that game. I still hope it launches, but for a game that appears to have an outdated game engine, you would think they could have launched a playable version by now given how many years it has been in development.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
While I did not play it, my guess is Daybreak shut down that game because it was likely more popular with kids than adults.

There is a group working on reverse engineering the server and getting it back online though they have not posted any updates in a long time ..
https://www.frsunrise.com/

Many MMOs that have been shutdown (and some that were not) now have "rogue" servers running that allow people to keep playing the game. Companies used to try to stop those servers, but most American MMO companies allow them to exist now (likely due to wanting to avoid a potential legal precedent being set [and not in their favor] for purchased-yet-abandoned games reasons) as long as they are not monetized.

Disney, which has their own in-house legal team, is very aggressive at protecting their brands yet they allowed a group to bring back their old "Toontown" MMO game with a rogue server ..
https://www.toontownrewritten.com/

Palia looks like it will be targeted at all age groups, which is smart. I also think it will be one of many "virtual world" or "theme park" MMOs we see over the next couple of years as the push to the "metaverse" becomes more popular with average people.

Vanity spending online continues to increase so the next logical transition is to create virtual worlds where people can buy the latest digital fads and trends.

Haha, we must frequent the same websites. I check in Free Realms Sunrise discord every few months to check the progress, think they are very close to release.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Since they lost Brad McQuaid, I am not as hopeful or optimistic as I once was for that game. I still hope it launches, but for a game that appears to have an outdated game engine, you would think they could have launched a playable version by now given how many years it has been in development.

Just checked on their website, some of those pledge prices{ouch!} and it's just in pre alpha lol.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
anyone ever play tower defense games, and know of any good ones.

Van helsing death trap popped into my head which was a tower defense rpg. I can not find any games like it.

The monkey bloon tower defenses were all fun

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just checked on their website, some of those pledge prices{ouch!} and it's just in pre alpha lol.
I figured they would eventually follow Shroud of the Avatar down the endless digital pre-sell-to-fund path.

At some point I hope most people stop supporting games before they are released, especially MMO games. The gaming industry is saturated with countless gamer-funded games that failed to ever launch.

I just watched a video about the collapse of TitanReach that was funded by gamers initially and later a benefactor who was putting tons of money into it only to learn the guy behind it allegedly spent $150k of money meant for the game in bad crypto investments.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
anyone ever play tower defense games, and know of any good ones.

Van helsing death trap popped into my head which was a tower defense rpg. I can not find any games like it.

The monkey bloon tower defenses were all fun
I have not played any but the ones that I had thought about checking out were ..

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I figured they would eventually follow Shroud of the Avatar down the endless digital pre-sell-to-fund path.

At some point I hope most people stop supporting games before they are released, especially MMO games. The gaming industry is saturated with countless gamer-funded games that failed to ever launch.

I just watched a video about the collapse of TitanReach that was funded by gamers initially and later a benefactor who was putting tons of money into it only to learn the guy behind it allegedly spent $150k of money meant for the game in bad crypto investments.

I see we both watch Kira TV :laugh:i played in one of the open testing phases for Titan Reach and though it was horrible, then again only played a few hours and it didn't hold my interest so i uninstalled.

I have noticed some of the MMOs you played I played as well :D

Yes, small world and we both have good taste. :thumbup:

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Great trailer! :D

It also answered a couple of questions I had been meaning to ask about the game such as character customization.

If you don't mind me asking what other questions did you have, if it is just go here or there and fight creature/boss A/B/S i believe i would pass. But the huge open world, exploration, character development and difficulty made me interested.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those were what i was looking for. How did you find them? I did not spend a long time looking but I didnt find either, and it seems like I should have
They were on my Steam wishlist where I bookmark games I may want to play at some point.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you don't mind me asking what other questions did you have, if it is just go here or there and fight creature/boss A/B/S i believe i would pass. But the huge open world, exploration, character development and difficulty made me interested.
I have known about the game for a while but had not followed it because I thought it was just a run around and fight boss mobs game.

Since the few gameplay videos I had seen always seem to have similar looking characters, I wanted to know about character customization and whether it supported different classes, magical attacks, weapons like archery, etc.