The Video Game Thread

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Not sure which game I should get from meow until March 4 or whatever date gt7 gets released
Demon's Souls/Nioh 2 (know those are a little niche though) or Horizon coming out this week too...Morales is good too but only a 5-6 hour campaign/same with Ratchet and Clank but both of those games are the most powerful graphically. I'm playing Dying Light 2 currently on ps5 and having a good run. Slammed is your racing guy on here for the dark side (Forza) :D

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm no expert, but I can tell you what I think based off my experience.

I had a Sony 4K LED TV in my living room. My "main" gaming setup. I had my Series X/PS4 Pro on it. It's was a middle of the road model TV. Had a fantastic picture but only had the HDMI 2.0. Everything looked great and sharp. Honestly, no complaints, however, I was walking through Best Buy and an amazing TV picture caught my eye. It was an OLED. I'm a sucker for technology, so oh boy, here we go....................

After finding justification to the wife that we needed another new 4K TV (I made a deal with her. She wanted carpet. I wanted an OLED. See where this is going? :D) I got the green light. I researched and researched. Kept finding myself coming back to the LG CX. I love Sony, wanted a Sony, but this LG had amazing reviews and was great bang for the buck. Bought it. I LOVE IT!! It has the HDMI 2.1 so I can get 120hz (if the game allows) and the picture is incredible. The colors are deeper, more crisp, and overall the picture just pops. I was worried going from 4K to 4K wouldn't make much difference, but it did and I don't regret this purchase even in the slightest. The only downside to OLED, and I do probably overthink/worry about this, is that you can get burn in. The LG has technology baked into it that is supposed to fight it, however, the chance is still there. So far so good for me going 1 year in.

TL;DR Version: Buy an OLED. They are amazing.
The problem with OLED is they are very prone to burn-in from static things on the screen, which console game UIs are bad about showing. Most modern OLED TVs offer some sort of anti-burn-in protection system but burn-in will still happen.

That said, when I eventually do but another TV it will be an OLED :D

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Demon's Souls/Nioh 2 (know those are a little niche though) or Horizon coming out this week too...Morales is good too but only a 5-6 hour campaign/same with Ratchet and Clank but both of those games are the most powerful graphically. I'm playing Dying Light 2 currently on ps5 and having a good run. Slammed is your racing guy on here for the dark side (Forza) :D

Yes sir!! Love racing games! Will definitely be grabbing the new GT7. :cool:

The problem with OLED is they are very prone to burn-in from static things on the screen, which console game UIs are bad about showing. Most modern OLED TVs offer some sort of anti-burn-in protection system but burn-in will still happen.

That said, when I eventually do but another TV it will be an OLED :D
I got the 5 year burn in insurance plan on my LG CX with my consoles last year. 500 bucks but worth it as a gamer for sure.
Yeah I get way paranoid about it. lol I should have bought the extra protection. I'm just about 1 year in and so far so good. lol

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am absolutely stoked for this. Please, please don't mess it up Netflix. One of my most favorite games I've ever played. The storyline just drew me in instantly and I loved every second of it.

It'll be interesting to see how they make it with such a unique setting. I imagine a lot of CGI will be involved. Let's just hope they use it correctly.

Absolutely one of the best games ever.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reviews of Horizon Forbidden West make it seem like it could enter the Witcher 3 stratosphere of great action RPG's
I would wait to give any game high praise until it is publicly released and average people have had time to buy it and play it for a while.

I would imagine most of the people who got early access to it were paid to review and/or promote it, have only watched gameplay footage or have only played it for a short time.

Sometimes games have bugs that do not show until more people are playing them and some games end up with gameplay being too short or linear despite being presented as "open world" and having "endless" gameplay.

To be clear, I am not speaking specifically about Horizon Forbidden West but any new and/or unreleased games.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
The Cyberpunk 2077 upgrade is unbelievably substantially better. It sucks that developers have to release an unfinished product early knowingly and have to patch and upgrade constantly just to have a better product that people paid for a year plus later.

Please Horizon and Elden Ring don't do this.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cyberpunk 2077 upgrade is unbelievably substantially better. It sucks that developers have to release an unfinished product early knowingly and have to patch and upgrade constantly just to have a better product that people paid for a year plus later.

Please Horizon and Elden Ring don't do this.
I have not kept up with Cyberpunk 2077 since it launched, but I am glad to hear it is better now. So many people bought that game but ultimately got refunds that CD Projekt lost a lot of money they could have made had they delayed it a few months.

CD Projekt had a great reputation before Cyperpunk 2077 launched and they threw it all away for a desperate cash grab with an unfinished game.

A game like No Man's Sky had launch problems as well mainly due to missing multiplayer support which was promised, but over time since its launch NMS developers have added multiplayer support and a lot more and most NMS gamers seem to really like the game and the developers now.

Since so many people have been playing the beta version of Elden Ring, I would have to believe it will be a solid game when it launches later this month. I have not kept up with Horizon Forbidden West but given the popularity and success of the first game I would expect it to be quite good as well.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Watching someone on YouTube play Horizon Forbidden West right now. The world looks amazing.
Some of the reviews I read say the side story archs are supposed to be better in this game. Thats a biggie for me. One of my gripes from Zero Dawn was that the story archs, while not bad, were kinda meh. In its defense, I pretty much went from Witcher to HZD, and those are big shoes to follow. I though the main narrative of the game was of that quality though. Just didnt have anything like the Novigrad or Skellige arch to really suck you in

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
While I do think the game is probably going to be that good, I do not trust gaming publication reviews. There have been too many insider stories that have come out from several of them where review scores were based on paid promotions or benefits of some kind.
I love the Gamerranx "Before You Buy" videos. They do a really good job of giving you an overview of what the game is all about and what its stronger and weaker qualities