The Video Game Thread

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Well, I was planning on buying Horizon Forbidden West, but Gamefly sent me an e-mail last night that they sent it out. I forgot I had it locked in my game queue. Sweet! That gives me the chance to play it and check it out before I buy it (though I get the feeling the game is going to be worth buying).

I look forward to it.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, I was planning on buying Horizon Forbidden West, but Gamefly sent me an e-mail last night that they sent it out. I forgot I had it locked in my game queue. Sweet! That gives me the chance to play it and check it out before I buy it (though I get the feeling the game is going to be worth buying).

I look forward to it.
Im still in the tutorial phase ( still technicallly in the sundom) but so far its definitely been worth the hype. Wayyyy more looting, weapons and gear. From what Ive seen online, the weapon system can get convoluted as the game proggresses, but at least in the early portion it seems pretty simple.

The cinematic scene after the tutorial quest where she heads west will hit you in the feels

dsturgeon

Reaction score

This is most likely going to be GOTY unless an indie or AA game really comes out of nowhere like It Takes Two did last year.

That will be a tuff game to top. I wonder how extensive the crafting aspect of it will be, and if it will be from both loot and foraging type material gathering, both rare and common

dsturgeon

Reaction score

This is most likely going to be GOTY unless an indie or AA game really comes out of nowhere like It Takes Two did last year.

At 6:08 he uses something that switches to a fire breathing dragon above his head. He is not carrying a weapon, so I dont think he is in warrior form. I wonder if it a spell for the wizard type char or an ability. Cool graphic.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
At 6:08 he uses something that switches to a fire breathing dragon above his head. He is not carrying a weapon, so I dont think he is in warrior form. I wonder if it a spell for the wizard type char or an ability. Cool graphic.

It was shown in the first gameplay trailer, one of the co-op partners were using it. Previous souls games had dragon stones that would allow you to turn into a dragon hybrid. The boss also had a dragon arm - I believe he uses the head of a dead dragon which you see him talking to in one of the trailers.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
It was shown in the first gameplay trailer, one of the co-op partners were using it. Previous souls games had dragon stones that would allow you to turn into a dragon hybrid. The boss also had a dragon arm - I believe he uses the head of a dead dragon which you see him talking to in one of the trailers.

cool

dsturgeon

Reaction score

This is the game I am waiting for. I am buying a new computer for this one.

I played the original everquest when it came out and for 5 or 6 years, and no game has ever come close to that for me. The difficulty, penalties, strategy, expanse, and raids. 3 hour trips across world to retrieve bodies, 40 man raids where you had 6 healer complete heal cycle rotation on the main tank going off every second or a complete wipe, with enchanters charming 4 side mobs, and off tanks having to tank random mobs that spawned every few minutes during the fight. Loot being so diverse that no one has the same gear, because of bosses that spawn once a week, and guild races to kill it, with loot that is extremely rare and no one has. Experience loss on deaths, hell levels, having to do raids over and over to equip the guild so that you are able to kill the next level of bosses, spending weeks doing quests getting everyone in the guild keyed for dungeons, etc No mercy in any part of the game

Hopefully this game goes back to that type of mmo. I hate mmo's, where everyone can easily get the same gear, use addons instead of strategy and skill, and do the cookie cutter thing. But with twitch and fight videos, I don't think it can go back to the way it was

Another game I am waiting for

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This is the game I am waiting for. I am buying a new computer for this one.

I played the original everquest when it came out and for 5 or 6 years, and no game has ever come close to that for me. The difficulty, penalties, strategy, expanse, and raids. 3 hour trips across world to retrieve bodies, 40 man raids where you had 6 healer complete heal cycle rotation on the main tank going off every second or a complete wipe, with enchanters charming 4 side mobs, and off tanks having to tank random mobs that spawned every few minutes during the fight. Loot being so diverse that no one has the same gear, because of bosses that spawn once a week, and guild races to kill it, with loot that is extremely rare and no one has. Experience loss on deaths, hell levels, having to do raids over and over to equip the guild so that you are able to kill the next level of bosses, spending weeks doing quests getting everyone in the guild keyed for dungeons, etc No mercy in any part of the game

Hopefully this game goes back to that type of mmo. I hate mmo's, where everyone can easily get the same gear, use addons instead of strategy and skill, and do the cookie cutter thing. But with twitch and fight videos, I don't think it can go back to the way it was

Another game I am waiting for

I was interested in Ashes of Creation when they announced it years ago but given how many games are promoted as if they are about to release in the near future only to never release or to turn into never-ending cash grabs (ex: Star Citizen), I just quit caring about most games now until they release and non-media/influencer (aka: non-paid) people start playing them and writing reviews.

I hope AoC turns out to be everything they said it would be years ago, but at this point I will believe it when (or if) I see it.

As for the "My Time at Sandrock" game, is that just a sequel to the "My Time at Portia" game?

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I was interested in Ashes of Creation when they announced it years ago but given how many games are promoted as if they are about to release in the near future only to never release or to turn into never-ending cash grabs (ex: Star Citizen), I just quit caring about most games now until they release and non-media/influencer (aka: non-paid) people start playing them and writing reviews.

I hope AoC turns out to be everything they said it would be years ago, but at this point I will believe it when (or if) I see it.

As for the "My Time at Sandrock", is that just a sequel to the "My Time at Portia" game?

Same here on AoC

Yea, sandrock is the sequel. I was surprised by how much I liked my time at portia

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same here on AoC

Yea, sandrock is the sequel. I was surprised by how much I liked my time at portia
I own the first game but only played it a little, though that was more of a "too many games to play" problem rather than not liking it. I liked the style of game it was. They really should consider making an online (MMO even) game of it.

If you like games like that and MMOs, you should check out Palia which is sending out alpha invites now to people who signed up for it in the past.

Gameplay teaser from summer 2021 ..

Another general video about the alpha by a youtuber a week ago ..

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I own the first game but only played it a little, though that was more of a "too many games to play" problem rather than not liking it. I liked the style of game it was. They really should consider making an online (MMO even) game of it.

If you like games like that and MMOs, you should check out Palia which is sending out alpha invites now to people who signed up for it in the past.

Gameplay teaser from summer 2021 ..

Another general video about the alpha by a youtuber a week ago ..

Yea, i am going to play that. Great music in that first video too.