The Video Game Thread

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have 220 games in my Steam library, and 270 on my wishlist. :laugh::facepalm:
I am actually not a big Steam fan and prefer to buy games from GOG or direct from the developer/publisher when possible.

I hate that Steam requires an internet connection (offline mode only lasts so long) and most of all I detest how you cannot play more than one game in your library at a time without having to deal with shared accounts headaches.

Steam customers should be able to play as many of their games simultaneously on multiple devices or in VMs as they want as long as they are different games.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I am actually not a big Steam fan and prefer to buy games from GOG or direct from the developer/publisher when possible.

I hate that Steam requires an internet connection (offline mode only lasts so long) and most of all I detest how you cannot play more than one game in your library at a time without having to deal with shared accounts headaches.

Steam customers should be able to play as many of their games simultaneously on multiple devices or in VMs as they want as long as they are different games.

Another fork in the Xbox downloadable content, cd burning, Napster, Metallica road

It was a lot easier when no one knew about everyones 200 vcr recorded vhs movies

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another fork in the Xbox downloadable content, cd burning, Napster, Metallica road

It was a lot easier when no one knew about everyones 200 vcr recorded vhs movies
I pay for my games, but I just want to be able to play them how and when I want to play them.

If I buy two different physical games or two different online games directly from their publisher, I can load both at the same time on the same computer, or separately on two computers/devices, etc., but not with Steam.

Even companies like Netflix allow multiple devices (and families) to share one account. That way you can watch Netflix on one TV, your spouse on another, each of your kids on their own devices, etc.

With Steam, even if you pay full price for multiple games you still can only play one at a time even if you bought some of them for family members to play.

Steam offers a complex sharing system where you need multiple accounts and along with the hassle of going through all of those headaches just to play two different games you paid for on two devices at the same time.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I pay for my games, but I just want to be able to play them how and when I want to play them.

If I buy two different physical games or two different online games directly from their publisher, I can load both at the same time on the same computer, or separately on two computers/devices, etc., but not with Steam.

Even companies like Netflix allow multiple devices (and families) to share one account. That way you can watch Netflix on one TV, your spouse on another, each of your kids on their own devices, etc.

With Steam, even if you pay full price for multiple games you still can only play one at a time even if you bought some of them for family members to play.

Steam offers a complex sharing system where you need multiple accounts and along with the hassle of going through all of those headaches just to play two different games you paid for on two devices at the same time.

Was curious about this so i had to look it up, Steam takes a 30% cut from game sales, same for GOG while the Epic Game store takes 12%.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was curious about this so i had to look it up, Steam takes a 30% cut from game sales, same for GOG while the Epic Game store takes 12%.
Epic Games store set their commission low so they could fight their legal battle with Apple while trying to get more game developers and publishers to use or even switch to them.

Unfortunately, most people do not understand that for many game companies, the exposure to millions of gamers who are a couple of clicks away from buying their games at any moment is worth giving up 30% of their revenue.

If you were selling a product and a company with millions of customers who matched your product's demographic offered to help you for a cut of the sales, it would be hard to say no to that deal.

For 30%, they market your product to their millions of users (who buy products just like yours), they handle the purchase process, the transaction fees, the refund process, your licenses and all bandwidth costs. Even better, they provide you with a quick way to upsell your customers on expansions, DLCs, merchandise, digital items, etc. while providing an easy way to push updates to your customers.

I just wish they cared as much about their customers as they do their publishers.

dsturgeon

Reaction score

It sucks for you,and I agree with what you are saying.

It's for the smart kid who has a little bit of money to bank roll his enterprise. Who would download games and sell them to other people at school for 5-20 dollars a game. Who then learns about franchising, and Monday and Tuesday he goes around and downloads for people in his town, Wednesday and Thursday his cousin 2 states away logs into his account anddoes the same thing, Friday and Saturday his friend that moved away a few years back does it

Last edited:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I had a roommate around 15 years ago who had modified his Xbox 360. He downloaded and burned every game off his computer. I am pretty sure he had no problem playing every game online/offline until he signed up for one of the halo betas. His Xbox got flagged and banned. He gave it to his brother with a copy of all offline games,, and bought a new one.

SlammedZero

Reaction score

I enjoy GOG. They're the site that provided me with new Windows compatible Simcity games. I still play the old Simcity games to this day. :D Simcity 3000 is still my favorite.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I enjoy GOG. They're the site that provided me with new Windows compatible Simcity games. I still play the old Simcity games to this day. :D Simcity 3000 is still my favorite.

I hadn't been in my steam account for a few years. I got on it yesterday, and I had lords of the realm 2 on there, which was a turn based strategy game I played around 25 years ago. That game is still fun to play

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what I love about GoG. I had a huge collection of old physical games that I got rid of long ago due to how much storage space they requried along with many of them no longer working with modern Windows systems.

A lot of games I bought from GoG were to replace those old games with ones that work with modern Windows systems. That is also why I have a large library of games with GoG.

rags

Reaction score
Watching a YouTube video from a guy who has the first 6 hours of gameplay of Elden Ring. If you liked the Dark Souls series, you'll like this.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watching a YouTube video from a guy who has the first 6 hours of gameplay of Elden Ring. If you liked the Dark Souls series, you'll like this.
We have already been talking about it for a while now, but from my understanding the videos out now are from the play test version, not the launch version.

It releases on February 25th.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I hadn't been in my steam account for a few years. I got on it yesterday, and I had lords of the realm 2 on there, which was a turn based strategy game I played around 25 years ago. That game is still fun to play

Haha, Lords of the Realm 2 was indeed a great game. Really just needs maybe a graphics remaster to run in HD and as well on Modern OS. I remember getting Lords of the Realm 3 when it came out, totally horrible game.:thumbdown:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Haha, Lords of the Realm 2 was indeed a great game. Really just needs maybe a graphics remaster to run in HD and as well on Modern OS. I remember getting Lords of the Realm 3 when it came out, totally horrible game.:thumbdown:

I only ever played 2. The fights were fun. The open field troop positioning and battle was cool, but pouring the flaming tar kettles in the castle battles was my favorite thing to do. Really long games.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I only ever played 2. The fights were fun. The open field troop positioning and battle was cool, but pouring the flaming tar kettles in the castle battles was my favorite thing to do. Really long games.

The gaming world needs a new castle sim with a balance between castle sim/economy and combat. Played the heck out of Stronghold and SH Crusader multiplayer back in the day on Gamespy Arcade{remember them?}. Sadly everything FireFly studios has touched since then, asides from SH2 has been average at best or horrible.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The gaming world needs a new castle sim with a balance between castle sim/economy and combat. Played the heck out of Stronghold and SH Crusader multiplayer back in the day on Gamespy Arcade{remember them?}. Sadly everything FireFly studios has touched since then, asides from SH2 has been average at best or horrible.

I agree on the castle/sim/economy/combat game

That was the only type of game like that I played for years. The next one I played similar to that was age of empires

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I agree on the castle/sim/economy/combat game

That was the only type of game like that I played for years. The next one I played similar to that was age of empires

I still have boxed copes of Age of Empires 2 and 3, and have every AOE title in my Steam library asides from Age of Mythology. Age of Empires 2 DE has over 10,000 players on Steam playing at the moment which is very good considering the games age.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Finally got Horizon Forbidden West yesterday. Came on 2 discs, which for some reason, surprised me. Got it all loaded up, watched the beginning video, and that is as far as I got. lol

Planning on trying to sit down with it later today. I'm going to try and do my best to play it without whining to myself about how much better it probably looks/plays on a PS5. :muttley: