The Video Game Thread

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

Your move, Apple :D

This was Apple's George Orwell's 1984 Super Bowl commercial when they ironically targeted the cold and uncaring corporate empires ..

Wouldn't that be a pretty hard pitch back then? You need computers to make 84 work (effectively anyway), well I guess that's before the general public knew what they were capable of. To be fair, Oregon trail didn't have me thinking 84 in the early 90s lol.

Now, it's how could we not see this coming type of thing? Too late to stop it if we wanted to.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Just posting some pics of the rig before an eventual upgrade, the i7-4790K, 1070 GPU, Z97 board with DDR 3 Ram{:laugh:}has served me well. Some of the new Intel's look very impressive as well as the newer Ryzen's. A big kudos to AMD for getting back into the CPU wars after playing second fiddle to Intel for many years. For example check out this beast here, the Ryzen 7 3700X 8 Cores-16 Threads, will do 4.4 ghz outta the box and the power draw is only 65 watts https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-3700X-16-Thread-Processor/dp/B07SXMZLPK/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1HNRZCJGPG5WZ&dchild=1&keywords=ryzen+7+3700x&qid=1597470600&s=electronics&sprefix=ryzen,electronics,189&sr=1-2&th=1

xxx.jpg

Will be keeping the case as well as the Gold rated 750 watt PSU and the 3 SSD's inside.
pc-case.jpg

Also found this in the garage while I was working out, he/she is now dead.
www.jpg

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Just posting some pics of the rig before an eventual upgrade, the i7-4790K, 1070 GPU, Z97 board with DDR 3 Ram{:laugh:}has served me well. Some of the new Intel's look very impressive as well as the newer Ryzen's. A big kudos to AMD for getting back into the CPU wars after playing second fiddle to Intel for many years. For example check out this beast here, the Ryzen 7 3700X 8 Cores-16 Threads, will do 4.4 ghz outta the box and the power draw is only 65 watts https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-3700X-16-Thread-Processor/dp/B07SXMZLPK/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1HNRZCJGPG5WZ&dchild=1&keywords=ryzen+7+3700x&qid=1597470600&s=electronics&sprefix=ryzen,electronics,189&sr=1-2&th=1

xxx.jpg

Will be keeping the case as well as the Gold rated 750 watt PSU and the 3 SSD's inside.
pc-case.jpg

Also found this in the garage while I was working out, he/she is now dead.
www.jpg

A) Awesome rig!

B) Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! SPIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

reaction-mood-PhJgp6i7seqylTE0XJ

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
My friend played the Avengers beta over the weekend and I watched via remote connection. People are underestimating how good that game is going to be. Definitely move it up your watch list.

Here’s a deep dive for you. I picked up Plants vs Zombies: Battle of Neighborville last week. It was on sale for $10, and me a friend need more casual games to play with our wives since there is literally no way she would ever consider picking up Hunt with me.

The game is more fun than it has any right to be. Even though it is a more easy going game, there is still a serious enough class based shooter component. A good recommendation if you’re looking for something to play with someone younger or someone who doesn’t play games too seriously.
Avengers beta is free for PS4 players...u don't need to pre-order it like it was prior. So it's free to play on the weekend until it drops on 9/6 if you wanna test it out. Roped me in pretty good, played the opening San Fran bridge scene..Thor was the best character but liked Widow and Hulk too. Was holding off but I went ahead and pre-ordered after about an hour with it.

Lutonio

Reaction score
Avengers beta is free for PS4 players...u don't need to pre-order it like it was prior. So it's free to play on the weekend until it drops on 9/6 if you wanna test it out. Roped me in pretty good, played the opening San Fran bridge scene..Thor was the best character but liked Widow and Hulk too. Was holding off but I went ahead and pre-ordered after about an hour with it.

Yeah, I got some hands on time with it this time around. Thor was great, and I was disappointed he’s only playable in the tutorial.

I got a big God of War vibe using him with throwing the hammer, punching a few times, then recalling the hammer back to his hand. I looked it up, and the same guy directed the combat for both games.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Yeah, I got some hands on time with it this time around. Thor was great, and I was disappointed he’s only playable in the tutorial.

I got a big God of War vibe using him with throwing the hammer, punching a few times, then recalling the hammer back to his hand. I looked it up, and the same guy directed the combat for both games.
Ah, you're spot on, and makes sense now that you say it with the God of War gameplay with Thor Cap, and Black Widow. I heard they will be letting these more popular characters be playable at later dates to kind of keep us coming back. Not sure how I feel about that element, cuz that seems like microtransaction galore going foward.

That's evidently why the Spiderman being exclusive to PS is being felt with a mixed bag.

When I played it I could tell even with that they didn't phone it in, so why not. To be honest, that opening scene was more "fun" than Ghost and other acclaimed games, so stopped overthinking it and bought it, etc.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

xxx.jpg
Nice!

I finally acquired all of the parts for building a development server and temporary gaming PC.

The case I went with is a Fractal Design Meshify S2 ..

kvK89cO.jpg

I was going to get the white version of the case but additional white components were hard to find when I started ordering them so I decided to go with a black case for this build.

I waited to get the CPU last because I wanted to see if AMD released a 3700XT but they skipped it so I went with the 3700X.

I also knew the Nvidia 3000 series graphics cards were coming but I did not want to wait to build it.

I hope to have time to work on it later this week.

Lutonio

Reaction score
Ah, you're spot on, and makes sense now that you say it with the God of War gameplay with Thor Cap, and Black Widow. I heard they will be letting these more popular characters be playable at later dates to kind of keep us coming back. Not sure how I feel about that element, cuz that seems like microtransaction galore going foward.

That's evidently why the Spiderman being exclusive to PS is being felt with a mixed bag.

When I played it I could tell even with that they didn't phone it in, so why not. To be honest, that opening scene was more "fun" than Ghost and other acclaimed games, so stopped overthinking it and bought it, etc.

Definitely. I thought the game is great with my biggest complaint the performance even on my PS4 pro. It’s a game that will benefit from the free upgrade to ps5.

I think people are crapping on it because it’s not an open world single player game like Spider-Man. It’s got the stupid fun factor of summer blockbuster where you just hop in and beat up robots with some buddies, and the co op brought that out even more.

You can also tell the game was made by fans. The story levels and cutscenes are surprisingly good, and they get major props from me for making MODOK the primary villain.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Nice!

I finally acquired all of the parts for building a development server and temporary gaming PC.

The case I went with is a Fractal Design Meshify S2 ..

kvK89cO.jpg

I was going to get the white version of the case but additional white components were hard to find when I started ordering them so I decided to go with a black case for this build.

I waited to get the CPU last because I wanted to see if AMD released a 3700XT but they skipped it so I went with the 3700X.

I also knew the Nvidia 3000 series graphics cards were coming but I did not want to wait to build it.

I hope to have time to work on it later this week.

images-GVOYTHKO.jpg
That is SWEET!
And Fractal Designs make wonderful cases that wont cost you a arm and a leg, the white one I got was on sale for 60 bucks last winter. My only beef with my case is air flow, the meesh front cover does a great job of keeping dust out but at the same time restricts airflow a bit. And that CPU, you oughta be set for years. I am truly enamored with how AMD has improved their processors the last couple years. You will have to post pics once you get it all assembled.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
images-GVOYTHKO.jpg
That is SWEET!
And Fractal Designs make wonderful cases that wont cost you a arm and a leg, the white one I got was on sale for 60 bucks last winter. My only beef with my case is air flow, the meesh front cover does a great job of keeping dust out but at the same time restricts airflow a bit. And that CPU, you oughta be set for years. I am truly enamored with how AMD has improved their processors the last couple years. You will have to post pics once you get it all assembled.
The air flow was the main reason I chose that specific case. The smaller Meshify C was going to make for a tight build so I went with the Meshify S2 which is larger but still offers great air flow.

The main purpose for this system is to use it as a development and media server running VMs which is why I went with AMD.

While Intel still tops AMD with single-threaded apps like many games (which will likely change when the 3rd gen AMD 4000 series desktop CPUs are released), AMD's high core/thread count and multi-threading support make it a better and faster solution when running a production environment such as VMs. That said, AMDs are still quite good with single-threaded games as well.

I also plan to use it for gaming until I either build another gaming-specific system or buy a new gaming laptop at some point.