The Video Game Thread

Lutonio

Reaction score
Well, they got me. The system officially got me. Found myself looking this morning to see what it would cost to "move" (really buy) some of my games I have on disc to digital. I never ever thought I would say this, but, I prefer digital now. It's just too convenient not to mention (on Xbox anyway) you can game share with a friend. I always thought I would feel more satisfied having the disc in my hand (I really don't), that it would be nice to let a friend borrow (I never do), and that I could trade/sell the game when I'm done (I have and would but you never get much out of it anyway). So..............yeah, this is my confession. I'm a digital lover now. :(

It has its advantages, but there’s still something to be said about the box sitting on your shelf.

The real hell of it is if they manage to convince you to buy both! Not yet, but there are some indie darlings that have tempted me.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Well, they got me. The system officially got me. Found myself looking this morning to see what it would cost to "move" (really buy) some of my games I have on disc to digital. I never ever thought I would say this, but, I prefer digital now. It's just too convenient not to mention (on Xbox anyway) you can game share with a friend. I always thought I would feel more satisfied having the disc in my hand (I really don't), that it would be nice to let a friend borrow (I never do), and that I could trade/sell the game when I'm done (I have and would but you never get much out of it anyway). So..............yeah, this is my confession. I'm a digital lover now. :(
I didn't know which reaction GIF to go with, please enjoy the following selection:
Pz7aMs6.gif

TJcW88J.gif

DCNiNUR.gif

Bud3HzV.gif

oUsSqV9.gif

I've been buying digital editions of games for the convenience and lower prices.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
"Word on the streets" is the new Black Ops Cold War dropping this year is a direct sequel to Black Ops 1, which, if you ask me was the greatest Call of Duty ever created. I'm kind of stoked but also staying hopeful they don't screw it up. :laugh:
Official trailer drops tomorrow, so, we will see.
That would be a good angle to refresh it, and fits the black ops theme to a tee. Seems more in line for a Hitman game when you think of cold war tactics but agree this would be cool to play deftly..probably drop us in Italy to sabotage and Eastern EU and let us fight!..or vice versa...007 :)

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At 1,400 semolians I may have to pass:laugh:24 GB's of Vram is insane. I may look into getting a 3060 or a 3070 depending on price.
I agree. I just don't see value in $1,000+ video cards for gaming.

Many times you can turn down the settings from Epic to High and not even notice a difference without doing a pixel-to-pixel comparison.

In other situations, I can lower one or two settings and that will produce nearly the same results as higher end graphic cards.

I have a keen eye when it comes to flaws in images, graphics, etc. but when playing games, frame rates matter way more than quality after a certain point.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I agree. I just don't see value in $1,000+ video cards for gaming.

Many times you can turn down the settings from Epic to High and not even notice a difference without doing a pixel-to-pixel comparison.

In other situations, I can lower one or two settings and that will produce nearly the same results as higher end graphic cards.

I have a keen eye when it comes to flaws in images, graphics, etc. but when playing games, frame rates matter way more than quality after a certain point.

Yep, my 1070 plays pretty much anything at 4K resolution and at acceptable frame rates. There are some things like blur and depth of field that get disabled as I don't care for them and ditto for AA you can dial that down as well being that your playing at such a high resolution.

SlammedZero

Reaction score

So far so good................... :D

I always wondered about this. The PS4 Pro, for example, will allow you to chose between resolution or frame rates. Not all titles can reach 60fps so I always just picked resolution.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So there are claims coming out that Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War will run at 4K and 120fps on PS5 and Xbox Series X. Seems like a pretty demanding frame rate request for a console, so, we will see!
The problem with bold claims like that is there are too many moving variables.

For example, you can lower some settings and get 4k 120fps (assuming your monitor supports it of course) on mid-tier graphic cards in PCs.

One thing I have always thought is that console games have a lot of their settings preset for maximum visual performance by the developers where as on PC, many games let you decide what you want in great detail.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
The problem with bold claims like that is there are too many moving variables.

For example, you can lower some settings and get 4k 120fps (assuming your monitor supports it of course) on mid-tier graphic cards in PCs.

One thing I have always thought is that console games have a lot of their settings preset for maximum visual performance by the developers where as on PC, many games let you decide what you want in great detail.
I saw Slammed mention, they're starting to do that with some game more recently on the PS4 Pro. When I started Ghost of Tsushima, it asked me if I wanted to optimize visuals, or gameplay FPS. It did the same in the Marvel Avengers beta. So that is a relatively new concept to us console folks. I'm sure you PC guys get 100 options compared to our two, etc.?

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I saw Slammed mention, they're starting to do that with some game more recently on the PS4 Pro. When I started Ghost of Tsushima, it asked me if I wanted to optimize visuals, or gameplay FPS. It did the same in the Marvel Avengers beta. So that is a relatively new concept to us console folks. I'm sure you PC guys get 100 options compared to our two, etc.?

Depends on game, but usually something like this.
Resolution, HD 1080, 2K 1440, 4K 2160 and ton of others
Anti-aliasing, which has several methods such as FXAA, MSAA and others as well as different strengths. 2x 4x 8x etc
Anisotropic filtering which I usually set at x16 which is maximum.
Shadows
Ambient occlusion
DOF Depth of Field
Motion Blur
HDR
Bloom
Tesselation

This is a fair and pretty basic list of options available in PC games although it varies from game to game big time. Some have a ton of others.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Depends on game, but usually something like this.
Resolution, HD 1080, 2K 1440, 4K 2160 and ton of others
Anti-aliasing, which has several methods such as FXAA, MSAA and others as well as different strengths. 2x 4x 8x etc
Anisotropic filtering which I usually set at x16 which is maximum.
Shadows
Ambient occlusion
DOF Depth of Field
Motion Blur
HDR
Bloom
Tesselation

This is a fair and pretty basic list of options available in PC games although it varies from game to game big time. Some have a ton of others.
And then just press X right? joking. That's overwhelming to me..just got reminded why I haven't gotten to the PC gaming stage :eek: Thanks :laugh: