The Video Game Thread

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
The air flow was the main reason I chose that specific case. The smaller Meshify C was going to make for a tight build so I went with the Meshify S2 which is larger but still offers great air flow.

The main purpose for this system is to use it as a development and media server running VMs which is why I went with AMD.

While Intel still tops AMD with single-threaded apps like many games (which will likely change when the 3rd gen AMD 4000 series desktop CPUs are released), AMD's high core/thread count and multi-threading support make it a better and faster solution when running a production environment such as VMs. That said, AMDs are still quite good with single-threaded games as well.

I also plan to use it for gaming until I either build another gaming-specific system or buy a new gaming laptop at some point.

Mine is the Fractal Focus G which am certain is smaller than either of Meshify's and at least so far there seems to be plenty of room, I have 2 SSDs above the Optical Drive{what's that:laugh:} and another on the backside. And btw one of my requirements for a case was it had to have slot for a optical drive which is very rare these days. I suspect when I upgrade I will upgrade those SATA SSD's to M2's. I suspect you have a killer monitor{or 3} to go along with that beast?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mine is the Fractal Focus G which am certain is smaller than either of Meshify's and at least so far there seems to be plenty of room, I have 2 SSDs above the Optical Drive{what's that:laugh:} and another on the backside. And btw one of my requirements for a case was it had to have slot for a optical drive which is very rare these days. I suspect when I upgrade I will upgrade those SATA SSD's to M2's. I suspect you have a killer monitor{or 3} to go along with that beast?
I use external USB optical drives during the rare times I need one and they work great for that.

My main system is a few years old so it only supports SATA m.2 and SSDs, but my mobile laptop and the new server I am building support NVMe m.2 drives which are noticeably faster.

I have not bought any new monitors recently because I cannot find any that I really want bad enough to pay the amount of money they would cost.

For now, I am quite happy with my dual 27-inch monitor setup with my primary being an Acer XB272 240hz G-sync gaming monitor that I really like.

Last edited:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It's been a loooooong time since I built a computer from the ground up. I don't really PC game but all your chatter is making me want to build one. :D I can say, since I've got into doing drone stuff, I could use something that has some more graphical processing power. This one I have now packs a punch for what it is but it's not going to impress anybody. lol

Either way, I couldn't imagine my life without a desktop though.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's been a loooooong time since I built a computer from the ground up. I don't really PC game but all your chatter is making me want to build one. :D I can say, since I've got into doing drone stuff, I could use something that has some more graphical processing power. This one I have now packs a punch for what it is but it's not going to impress anybody. lol

Either way, I couldn't imagine my life without a desktop though.
I have been using the same gaming laptop as a desktop that is several years old as my main production, development and gaming system because it does everything I need it to do without any issues :D

In fact I just ordered a new battery and a new wifi card for it because the old wifi card died and I have been using usb wifi ever since. I did have to replace the panel in it died a while back but I replaced it without any issues with a better one.

I had been looking at gaming laptops for months but the new ones like I have now are just way too much money for something that if one part dies, you have to send the whole system off to be repaired or replaced.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I have been using the same gaming laptop as a desktop that is several years old as my main production, development and gaming system because it does everything I need it to do without any issues :D

In fact I just ordered a new battery and a new wifi card for it because the old wifi card died and I have been using usb wifi ever since. The panel in it died a while back but I replaced it without any issues a while back with a better one.

I had been looking at gaming laptops for months but the new ones like I have now are just way too much money for something that if one part dies, you have to send the whole system off to be repaired or replaced.

I have a laptop as well, and while I definitely love it and see the purpose of it, I'm not sure I could own one as my primary workstation. The flat keyboards (and lack of a 10 key) drive me crazy after awhile haha. :D

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a laptop as well, and while I definitely love it and see the purpose of it, I'm not sure I could own one as my primary workstation. The flat keyboards (and lack of a 10 key) drive me crazy after awhile haha. :D
My main laptop is a few years old yet its lid has been opened less than 10 hours total.

I use mine as a desktop to power two 27" monitors along with two keyboards, two mice, speakers, etc. just like you would with a tower/desktop system but with a smaller footprint.

I got it and the ones before it because it was quite powerful (still is actually) when compared to desktops and it has great air flow so I never had to worry about thermals.

As a laptop though, it is very portable which has allowed me on a few occasions to take it with me when necessary.

For most situations though, I take a 15" mobile laptop for when I need to take one with me somewhere.

That said, laptop keyboards do not bother me and all of mine have numerical 10-keys on them, though I am not a fan of them on laptops.

The new HP Omen 15" laptop has a great keyboard layout that I hope more laptop manufacturers copy ..

LxKIZAO.jpg

On a side note .. that HP Omen laptop has been getting good reviews, but it has some flaws so I am not recommending it. I just really like the keyboard layout.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
My main laptop is a few years old yet its lid has been opened less than 10 hours total.

I use mine as a desktop to power two 27" monitors along with two keyboards, two mice, speakers, etc. just like you would with a tower/desktop system but with a smaller footprint.

I got it and the ones before it because it was quite powerful (still is actually) when compared to desktops and it has great air flow so I never had to worry about thermals.

As a laptop though, it is very portable which has allowed me on a few occasions to take it with me when necessary.

For most situations though, I take a 15" mobile laptop for when I need to take one with me somewhere.

That said, laptop keyboards do not bother me and all of mine have numerical 10-keys on them, though I am not a fan of them on laptops.

The new HP Omen 15" laptop has a great keyboard layout that I hope more laptop manufacturers copy ..

LxKIZAO.jpg

On a side note .. that HP Omen laptop has been getting good reviews, but it has some flaws so I am not recommending it. I just really like the keyboard layout.

Fair enough! I guess I do dock mine at work and use it as my entire desktop.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Nice!

I finally acquired all of the parts for building a development server and temporary gaming PC.

The case I went with is a Fractal Design Meshify S2 ..

kvK89cO.jpg

I was going to get the white version of the case but additional white components were hard to find when I started ordering them so I decided to go with a black case for this build.

I waited to get the CPU last because I wanted to see if AMD released a 3700XT but they skipped it so I went with the 3700X.

I also knew the Nvidia 3000 series graphics cards were coming but I did not want to wait to build it.

I hope to have time to work on it later this week.
I watched the showreel for this case and it's a functional work of art, with extra emphasis on functional:

0Q8cWul.gif

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I watched the showreel for this case and it's a functional work of art, with extra emphasis on functional:

0Q8cWul.gif

Yeah that is pretty dope! Love the hidden channel they created to hide any excess wiring. That's pretty cool, and the pricing isn't bad, but I'm curious what it all comes with. Do you have to pipe your own water cooled lines?

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Yeah that is pretty dope! Love the hidden channel they created to hide any excess wiring. That's pretty cool, and the pricing isn't bad, but I'm curious what it all comes with. Do you have to pipe your own water cooled lines?

That is one SWEET case, and yes you are in charge of acquiring/installing your own CPU cooler whether it be air or water.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It does not come with a water cooling system/kit, but I did not buy it for that reason.

I know it is probably just me, but there is just something inherently wrong with the idea of putting water near a lot of electronics :D

The system I am building should not require it though because the reason I chose that specific case is the amazing air flow it can produce.

Add to that four 140mm fans and a really good air cooler and it should be more than enough to handle the heat.

I may do some thermal tests once it is up and running.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am making some progress finally. I had a little time so I installed the NVMe drives, memory, CPU and cooler components into the motherboard.

The next step will be finally unboxing the case and replacing all of the standard black fans with RGB 140mm fans and then installing the motherboard.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
It does not come with a water cooling system/kit, but I did not buy it for that reason.

I know it is probably just me, but there is just something inherently wrong with the idea of putting water near a lot of electronics :D

The system I am building should not require it though because the reason I chose that specific case is the amazing air flow it can produce.

Add to that four 140mm fans and a really good air cooler and it should be more than enough to handle the heat.

That's the first thing I said when watching that, water what? Next to all this cool shiny stuff? No thanks, stick to the air.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

It not just you, trust me. I thought about going that route but decided against it. Too much could go wrong.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Well, they got me. The system officially got me. Found myself looking this morning to see what it would cost to "move" (really buy) some of my games I have on disc to digital. I never ever thought I would say this, but, I prefer digital now. It's just too convenient not to mention (on Xbox anyway) you can game share with a friend. I always thought I would feel more satisfied having the disc in my hand (I really don't), that it would be nice to let a friend borrow (I never do), and that I could trade/sell the game when I'm done (I have and would but you never get much out of it anyway). So..............yeah, this is my confession. I'm a digital lover now. :(