The Walking Dead-Season 8, Episodes 1-8

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The season 7 premiere was unquestionably the best episode in the series history.
It is safe saying the season seven premiere, The Day Will Come When You Won't Be, was one of, if not, the most anticipated episode of the series but was it 'unquestionably the best episode in the series history'? I disagree. A quick Google search demonstrates opinions vary on the topic. Here are a few rankings of episodes others thought were the best of the series:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/walking-dead-ranking-99-episodes-170633600.html
'The Walking Dead': Ranking All 99 Episodes
#1 The Grove, Season 4, Episode 14
#21 The Day Will Come When You Won't Be, Season 7, Episode 1

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertai...des-that-may-change-your-life.html/?a=viewall
‘The Walking Dead’: 10 Episodes That May Change Your Life
#1 Days Gone By, Season 1, Episode 1
(The Day Will Come When You Won't Be not ranked)

http://whatculture.com/tv/the-walking-dead-10-best-episodes?page=10
The Walking Dead: 10 Best Episodes
#1 Pretty Much Dead Already, Season 2, Episode 8
(The Day Will Come When You Won't Be not ranked)

http://variety.com/gallery/walking-dead-best-episodes-rick-negan-glenn/#!13/days-gone-bye
‘The Walking Dead’s’ 12 Best Episodes
#1 Days Gone By, Season 1, Episode 1
#11 The Day Will Come When You Won't Be, Season 7, Episode 1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/walking-dead-season-ranked-1048556/item/twd-seasons-7-1048549
'The Walking Dead': Every Season, Ranked
#1 No Sanctuary, Season 5, Episode 1
(The Day Will Come When You Won't Be, Season 7, Episode 1 not ranked in top 10 / best episode of season 7 considered as Rock In The Road, Episode 9)

Personally, The Grove and Clear (Season 3, Episode 12) are among two of my favorite episodes that I would put above season seven's premiere.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The ratings for episode 2 of the new season were awful... Great for any cable show, but awful for "TWD"... Less than 9 mil watched. Lowest number since the final episode of season 2.

Again still a big Sunday night number but pales in comparison where the show was a couple years ago.

Well "earned".

These writers and show runners have become their own biggest fans. They think everything they do now is brilliant.

This latest season has been piss poor so far. They can't even handle staging a television gunfight. And these "plans" are nothing more than more stall to string this "War" along for as long as they possibly can.

I'm on the brink of not watching any longer.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Well "earned".

These writers and show runners have become their own biggest fans. They think everything they do now is brilliant.

This latest season has been piss poor so far. They can't even handle staging a television gunfight. And these "plans" are nothing more than more stall to string this "War" along for as long as they possibly can.

I'm on the brink of not watching any longer.
i'm still not sure how the cheap corrugated steel on the cars will stop a bullet. but hey, hide behind them and lets go. :)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i'm still not sure how the cheap corrugated steel on the cars will stop a bullet. but hey, hide behind them and lets go. :)

I'm not sure I can ever get over not shooting Negan the second he stepped through the door and choosing instead to shoot at a bunch of glass windows, wasting bullets that were heretofore like gold.

Rick's "plan" is just about the worst thing I've ever seen put into motion. Keystone Cops level stuff.

I'll say it again, nobody loves this writing more than the people who write it. Apparently, they think it's good.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
I'm not sure I can ever get over not shooting Negan the second he stepped through the door and choosing instead to shoot at a bunch of glass windows, wasting bullets that were heretofore like gold.

Rick's "plan" is just about the worst thing I've ever seen put into motion. Keystone Cops level stuff.

I'll say it again, nobody loves this writing more than the people who write it. Apparently, they think it's good.

There's also the fact that he stepped through the door knowing they were out there with weapons. That's crossing the line between brave and stupid.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

yep. that's why i said my big issue now is "more bullet than carl sagan can count". :)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's also the fact that he stepped through the door knowing they were out there with weapons. That's crossing the line between brave and stupid.

Oh, the the writers had to get their witty banter in there, didn't they? Their cleverly written back and forth conversations that would never happen.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yep. that's why i said my big issue now is "more bullet than carl sagan can count". :)

And is food and medicine an issue this week or not? It's hard for me to keep track.

Like I've said, I'm getting soured. Plenty of stuff I've let go before in the name of being entertained, but my suspension of disbelief is being overly taxed, to the point of tuning out.

I hope that the big ratings drop off is a wake up call to the people behind the scenes. Stop worrying about patting yourselves on the back and taking credit and put your focus and energy back into crafting a quality show.

Otherwise, instead of credit to fight over, you'll have blame. And instead of fighting over profits, you'll be looking for work.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
And is food and medicine an issue this week or not? It's hard for me to keep track.

Like I've said, I'm getting soured. Plenty of stuff I've let go before in the name of being entertained, but my suspension of disbelief is being overly taxed, to the point of tuning out.

I hope that the big ratings drop off is a wake up call to the people behind the scenes. Stop worrying about patting yourselves on the back and taking credit and put your focus and energy back into crafting a quality show.

Otherwise, instead of credit to fight over, you'll have blame. And instead of fighting over profits, you'll be looking for work.

it has taken a beating. i still watch until something better comes along.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I still can't believe this is actually a series, much less 8 seasons of it. At least it gave us this:

MileyDancer

Reaction score
I haven't watched since like halfway through last season. I'm guessing Negan still isn't dead, and i haven't missed anything. Amirite?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get the sense that Rick is gradually losing interest in killing Saviors outright.
Rick himself said, paraphrasing, "Only one person must die and I will kill him." Rick will kill Saviors if the situation warrants it but he is zeroed into taking out Negan.

The same cannot be said for Darryl though. Darryl will kill every single one of them. And unlike Morgan, Darryl's mind is clear of any 'mental illness' related compulsions. Rick gets a Savior to reveal the current location of Negan's heavy artillery via a deal. The Savior coughs up the info. Darryl does not argue with Rick. He does not even glance at Rick. Darryl shoots the Savior in the head. No remorse whatsoever.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
First thing I want to say is some of yall are just...wow. There is no word. It's a freaking made up TV show about a made up zombie world that could not ever actually happen. Yet some of yall cry week after week after week after week about how unrealistic this is. How dumb that is cause it would never go down like that.

Good Lord. Just stop watching then instead of telling us week after week about how you're so close to never watching again because a make believe show about a make believe zombie world is not being realistic enough for your sensitive nature.

That rant aside....

I actually loved last nights episode for a couple of reasons.

#1: Rick is continuing to be true to his word that he doesn't want to, or see the need to, kill absolutely everyone. Rick wants only one person and he wants these other people to realize that there is a whole other way to live, and survive, where it's not through a dictatorship. One that will cost you the very life your fighting to save if you dare to question the man at the center of it.

I love this because as a fan of the comic (Another point for people to keep in mind who cry about how unrealistic it is, being that it's based off of a graphic comic for goodness sake), I know that it goes hand in hand with where Rick wants to eventually take this world when this war is over. His goal by the end of this war in the comic (And I believe it will be the same here in the show) is to prove that you can rebuild a real civilization and work together, regardless of what anyone had to do in order to get there.

#2: I LOVE Darryl in this episode. I loved that he just calmly, without remorse, killed the two saviors. Including the one he actually knew and was in a camp with at the beginning. He has no issue, at all, with doing what needs to be done in order to accomplish the goal they've set out to accomplish. "I know who it was. Doesn't matter." I loved it. It's clear from this episode that when it's all said and done he will be the person who has the biggest problem with what Jesus did. Far more so than what Rick will have with what Jesus did.

That however does lead me to the one thing I really don't get at all about this episode. The one thing I for sure would have changed. I don't like how easily Maggie went along with what Jesus did and appears to have backed him on it. If there is anyone in this group who you'd think would not follow that idea, at all, it would be her. I don't like that but I understand that the message here is that the leaders (Rick, Maggie, Jesus to some extent) all believe in a better world. And to get there they believe in showing that they don't have to kill every one in order to make that world a reality.

I know that for me, personally, I would be more like Darryl on this issue. We set out to end this rule, and end this BS, and I'd be all about killing them all. I also agree with an aspect of the writing complaint here. It's not because it's not realistic but because it simply makes no sense.

What I don't get about what Jesus did is this. Why was it okay to spare these people when they 'gave up' but he was fine with killing the other people without even giving them a chance to surrender? They snuck in and killed people quite a bit during this, took people completely by surprise, and he was just fine with doing that but he's not okay with killing the others because they 'gave up' in an unwinnable situation?

I don't like that particular part of the writing because it's lazy and makes no sense. At least not to me anyway.

Also I want to say on a personal note I get not liking the decision to let anyone live, or to not kill Negan the moment it presented itself from a real life standpoint. Of course in real life if he was stupid enough to walk out there like that you'd have killed him then and there and killed all the others and been done with it. We all get that. I would like to think no one would be stupid enough, in a real situation, to believe that if you let people like the Saviors live that they'd simply change because you chose to only kill their leader. That's just dumb from a real world standpoint. I get that.

But that's why this is a TV show about things that are not ever going to happen. If you kill Negan there it's a waste and the storyline is instantly over which, for a TV show, is a dumb as hell move. Now I do agree that I don't understand why part of the plan was shooting out all the windows. I still don't understand what the point of that was. They're not going to be dropping Walkers in from the windows so it just seemed like another bit of lazy writing.

I will say the attack on the Sanctuary was done a whole lot better in the comic book. At least IMO it was.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I get the sense that Rick is gradually losing interest in killing Saviors outright.

I really don't believe Rick ever wanted to just kill any of them out right, except Negan.

Negan represents the bad that these people do and he believes they only do it because of him. Probably naive to some degree but I do believe that he honestly believes that if you kill Negan then these other people will realize they don't have to live that way or do things that way.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really don't believe Rick ever wanted to just kill any of them out right, except Negan.

Negan represents the bad that these people do and he believes they only do it because of him. Probably naive to some degree but I do believe that he honestly believes that if you kill Negan then these other people will realize they don't have to live that way or do things that way.

Agreed.

I think at some point Rick has words with Daryl.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Agreed.

I think at some point Rick has words with Daryl.

They will. I agree.

I believe it's going to be where Rick is going to have to explain to Daryl what his view is for the world going forward and why its important to him that they do things differently then Negan does. To show that it can be done differently.

I believe it's why he's ultimately going to 'jail' Negan rather then kill him. To prove to Negan, and everyone else, that he isn't like Negan.

Even though the reality is that Rick is a lot more like Negan than he really wants to admit.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They will. I agree.

I believe it's going to be where Rick is going to have to explain to Daryl what his view is for the world going forward and why its important to him that they do things differently then Negan does. To show that it can be done differently.

I believe it's why he's ultimately going to 'jail' Negan rather then kill him. To prove to Negan, and everyone else, that he isn't like Negan.

Even though the reality is that Rick is a lot more like Negan than he really wants to admit.

SPOILER

Agreed.

And it's apparent through the graphic novel that Rick and Negan do have some sort of bond after ALW.