The worst day in Cowboys history

Diehardblues

Reaction score
9ers haven't won one since 95
No but they’ve been to a couple Super Bowls and several conference championship games.

Here where the Cowboys stand during this era.
rLejiuM.jpg

kskboys

Reaction score
No offense but you sound totally lost. Winning is everything. One reason the Cowboys had early success under Jerry was there wasn’t a salary cap or free agency. We were able to build a great team and keep it together until free agency arrived. The Cowboys would’ve never had the success they did for as long as they did in the 70s if there was a salary cap and free agency. Everyone would’ve been raiding our roster. Jerry makes every effort to win it just hasn’t happened. He’s gone through several coaches and made some significant moves to try and make the team better. You’re being ridiculous if you don’t think he’s trying to make the team better. We all have our issues with him but to say he’s not making an effort is completely untrue.
No he doesn't. He sucks as a GM, but will not get a better one. So, no, he is not making every effort to win.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Tex Schramm and Tom Landry took an expansion team and within a decade or so turned it into "America's Team." Their run lasted over 20 yrs and the image just improved. Then came Jimmy Johnson and his marvelous job of building a multi-SB winning roster and the AT image mushroomed. Then Jerry Jones and his ego moved in. He pushed Johnson out and took control. Now we have a very weaken image of AT. In face today this team may be more the "Jerry Jones Joke" than "America's Team."

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a long standing season ticket holder at Texas Stadium I was part of a group of other season ticket holders who Jethro initially met with as we offered our concerns for the new stadiums guidelines for purchasing season tickets and PSL. Most of us which included tens of thousands season tickets holders didn’t make the move to new stadium.

Initially in 1989 I participated in Tom Landry parade of appreciation which was a protest of sorts against his firing .

And I was part of a group which protested against Jethro taking over land and specifically individual housing from property owners in Arlington which help lead to rather large settlements.

There really hasn’t been any other organized protest I’m aware of . Most of us ole diehards mainly took to the airwaves and print in those early years writing letters to the editors and calling in on radio shows to express our objections to his way of running Cowboys Football.

Some of the areas local broadcasters and sports personalities took the lead like Randy Galloway and Dale Hansen. Even former players who had their own radio show with Drew Pearson and Charlie Waters were very outspoken on Jethro’s ways. It’s why most felt Drew for so long wasn’t inducted into ROH.

After I walked away from 4 decades of season tickets I learned of these online sites which were a means of spreading the word of objection to Jethro’s ways which was an extension of the radio broadcast and local affiliates attempts to call out our owner.

I was actually part of a group who walked away from their season tickets after 2007 season not waiting until final year in 2008. Jethro had concerns of selling out all of the new season tickets initially and begin lobbying to change the NFL Blackout rule which would not only move it from 72 hours to 24 but would allow owners to buy remaining tickets to avoid local blackouts. This new rule took effect in 2009, the first season of course with new stadium.

Unfortunately most of these efforts of course haven’t made much impact as the brilliant revolutionary revenue streams Jethro sued the league over and implemented over time has enabled him to prosper without more success on the field during this era. But we are seeing a growing fan apathy which we have been seeing in fan attendance as more season ticket holders look to recoup their PSL cost by brokering out a few games a year, some are brokering them all out. And we’ve also seen local TV viewership drop to level we haven’t seen in decades . So, while the locals are sending a message it’s time for fans across the country to send one as well and why these internet sites can be potentially far reaching .
Apathy is one but not the single explanation for single game and personal seat licensing declines in recent years. The decline has been evident throughout the NFL and other team sport industries as well.

The protests described seem short-lived and did not include long-term planned efforts for influencing managerial change. Not sure why celebrities' rhetoric was mentioned but I personally welcome anyone with a highly visible media profile attempting to gain Jones' attention from a psychological perspective. It is the only way of possibly motivating a narcissist to moderate their behavior.

Fansites are neither designed nor provide necessary targeted messaging leading to well-defined, large-scale organized protests. Typically, fansites offer a multitude of information that attracts visitors.

A much better grassroots method of this nature is a dedicated website, networked through multiple search engines, and pushed heavily through various diverse social platforms with memberships numbering in the millions. Earmarked messages are identified and adopted by more like-minded individuals, who are guided (e.g. matched) to the specific subject matter through automated algorithms.

Ranting on a fansite is like casting a fishing line into an ocean, hoping to hook The Big One. The smarter strategy is using communication devices that will continually cast a wide net, over and over, grabbing a small portion of a large school of fish. Potentially, the fisherman will accumulate a sizeable haul, instead of ending up with a small bucket holding a few guppies.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No he doesn't. He sucks as a GM, but will not get a better one. So, no, he is not making every effort to win.

Who said he doesn’t suck as a GM? He certainly doesn’t suck as an owner. He’s in the Hall of Fame and has the richest franchise in sports. He built one of the best stadiums and practice facilities in the world. There’s no owner in the NFL more powerful than Jerry. Not trying to defend him, I have some issues with him but he’s not a crappy owner. You claim the other poster isn’t lost? Would you trade our three championships in the 90s for another owner like he would?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Apathy is one but not the single explanation for single game and personal seat licensing declines in recent years. The decline has been evident throughout the NFL and other team sport industries as well.

The protests described seem short-lived and did not include long-term planned efforts for influencing managerial change. Not sure why celebrities' rhetoric was mentioned but I personally welcome anyone with a highly visible media profile attempting to gain Jones' attention for a psychological perspective. It is the only way of possibly motivating a narcissist to moderate their behavior.

Fansites are neither designed nor provide necessary targeted messaging leading to well-defined, large-scale organized protests. Typically, fansites offer a multitude of information that attracts visitors.

A much better grassroots method of this nature is a dedicated website, networked through multiple search engines, and pushed heavily through various diverse social platforms with memberships numbering in the millions. Earmarked messages are identified and adopted by more like-minded individuals, who are guided (e.g. matched) to the specific subject matter through automated algorithms.

Ranting on a fansite is like casting a fishing line into an ocean, hoping to hook The Big One. The smarter strategy is using communication devices that will continually cast a large net, over and over, grabbing a small portion of a large school of fish. Potentially, the fisherman will accumulate a sizeable haul, instead of ending up with a small bucket holding a few guppies.
Appreciate . And I agree. These sites like all social media serve more as a mechanism to plant the seeds in an attempt to influence opinion than actually serving as a foundation for any type of uprising.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Who said he doesn’t suck as a GM? He certainly doesn’t suck as an owner. He’s in the Hall of Fame and has the richest franchise in sports. He built one of the best stadiums and practice facilities in the world. There’s no owner in the NFL more powerful than Jerry. Not trying to defend him but he’s not a crappy owner.
Isn't a BIG part of being a good owner making sure that the team has good management, good coaching, and a winning roster? Making sure that your team at the very least makes as many good playoff runs as the NFL average? Making sure that the most important thing (what happens on the field) is something special at least part of the time?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who said he doesn’t suck as a GM? He certainly doesn’t suck as an owner. He’s in the Hall of Fame and has the richest franchise in sports. He built one of the best stadiums and practice facilities in the world. There’s no owner in the NFL more powerful than Jerry. Not trying to defend him, I have some issues with him but he’s not a crappy owner. You claim the other poster isn’t lost? Would you trade our three championships in the 90s for another owner like he would?
Isnt the most important job of an owner to hire a GM and HC? At least if we’re talking about football operations.

If you want to discuss his contributions to the league for which he was inducted for that’s a separate discussion but most fans aren’t really interested in being #1 in revenue unless it’s attached to success on the field.

But yea, Jethro has been brilliant generating revenue . He’s proven Tex wrong that success on the field isn’t necessarily needed to be popular and promote the brand. Well done. I guess we have fans proud of this achievement.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Isnt the most important job of an owner to hire a GM and HC? At least if we’re talking about football operations.

The first HC he hired won 2 Super Bowls and is in the Hall of Fame. Having an owner hire a GM doesn’t guarantee success just look around the league. Count all the owners that have three championships and hired an HC who became a Hall of Fame head coach.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Appreciate . And I agree. These sites like all social media serve more as a mechanism to plant the seeds in an attempt to influence opinion than actually serving as a foundation for any type of uprising.
Fansites are like bedrock. You can till it until your plow breaks. Your efforts will always fail. What you should desire is fertile soil to plant your seeds as I described earlier.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The first HC he hired won 2 Super Bowls and is in the Hall of Fame. Having an owner hire a GM doesn’t guarantee success just look around the league. Count all the owners that have three championships and hired an HC who became a Hall of Fame head coach.
You keep returning to his only success. You’re good regardless what happens for the next 25-50 years?

I guess for you the honeymoon is worth a miserable marriage.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Isn't a BIG part of being a good owner making sure that the team has good management, good coaching, and a winning roster? Making sure that your team at the very least makes as many good playoff runs as the NFL average? Making sure that the most important thing (what happens on the field) is something special at least part of the time?

If Jerry hasn’t been a good owner why is he in the Hall of Fame and why does he have the richest team in sports? Despite the Cowboys lack of success they’re still the most popular and richest franchise. He’s brought in a lot of good players over the years and has gone through several head coaches it just hasn’t worked. Just look around the league and see how tough it is building a consistent winning team. Daniel Snyder has been an owner for 23 years and has won nothing despite numerous head-coaching and GM changes. That’s just one example.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fansites are like bedrock. You can till it until your plow breaks. Your efforts will always fail. What you should desire is fertile soil to plant your seeds as I described earlier.
It is what it is. Fortunately there are other fields to plant the seeds. But thanks.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You keep returning to his only success. You’re good regardless what happens for the next 25-50 years?

I guess for you the honeymoon is worth a miserable marriage.

His only success earned him three championships and the team of the decade. Count up all the owners that have accomplished that the past 33 years.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is what it is. Fortunately there are other fields to plant the seeds.
Bold> Exactly.

CowboysZone = Ranting/Seeds D.O.A.

Dedicated website with consolidated search engine and major social media sites networking = Seeds possibly taking root and creating a true movement

Diehardblues

Reaction score
His only success earned him three championships and the team of the decade. Count up all the owners that have accomplished that the past 33 years.
So, that gives him a pass for life with you.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s been rough since 96. But I promise any fan base that isn’t the Steelers, Packers, Patriots would kill for 3 Super Bowls in that time

100% agree

I've gotten to watch three super bowl winning seasons at an age where I actually understand football

More would be great, but I wouldn't trade the 1989-1996 success for the *hope* that we'd have a better owner now

Because lots of organizations that do it right, haven't won ****

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So, that gives him a pass for life with you.

No it doesn’t but his three championships and Hall of Fame induction points to him being a lot more than what you claim he is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No it doesn’t but his three championships and Hall of Fame induction points to him being a lot more than what you claim he is.
I’m glad you’re happy with everything. Lol

Last edited: