The worst day in Cowboys history

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Undoing the day Jerry bought the Cowboys most certainly negates the events of every day after. It means a new timeline. The three Super Bowl titles in hand are way better than the uncertainty of what may happen in an alternate timeline. This is my opinion. Please stop trying to dissuade me from my own opinion. We can disagree.
Yes, the possibility and uncertainty of a new timeline brings unknown potential.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’m glad you are happy with our situation. And feel confident there’s hope to overcome Jethro’s ways. Not many I know of. But obviously still out there.

Where did I say I was happy with our situation? I’ve said repeatedly over the years I’m not happy with the way he runs the team. He continues to undermine his head coaches. All I’m saying is I wouldn’t give up our great 90s teams like you would in hopes of improving on that success with another owner.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Where did I say I was happy with our situation? I’ve said repeatedly over the years I’m not happy with the way he runs the team. He continues to undermine his head coaches. All I’m saying is I wouldn’t give up our great 90s teams like you would in hopes of improving on that success with another owner.
Understood and you don’t have to give it up in order to continue placing pressure on this ownership and attempting to hold them accountable.
I just see too many fans who still give them a pass for life with that early success. Thanks

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Understood and you don’t have to give it up in order to continue placing pressure on this ownership and attempting to hold them accountable.
I just see too many fans who still give them a pass for life with that early success. Thanks

The early success was so impressive it put him and Jimmy in the Hall of Fame. Say what you will about Jerry but he’s the most powerful owner in the NFL and no team is bigger or more valuable than the Cowboys despite their lack of success the last 26 years. You can continue to rant but I’m moving on to other topics.

ESisback

Reaction score
Winning is not everything. I’d never sell my soul out for Super Bowls alone. The 29 years prior were much more respectful and enjoyable without as many championships. There’s no sports figure local Cowboy fans hate more than their favorite franchise owner.

Who “sold their souls” for Super Bowls?

The entire NFL was more respectful and enjoyable 29 years ago. Nowdays it doesn’t matter what you do or how much you win—there will always be tons of entitled fans and bitter rivals SCREAMING about your incompetence and lack of integrity. Look at the Pats. All that winning, Goat QB, Goat HC, multiple Lombardi’s, etc., and all the criticism—Signalgate, Deflategate, envy, weak AFCE, etc., etc. Accomplishments and achievements are never enough, tradition and legacy have been forgotten, and the appetite for drama and confrontation is insatiable.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The early success was so impressive it put him and Jimmy in the Hall of Fame. Say what you will about Jerry but he’s the most powerful owner in the NFL and no team is bigger or more valuable than the Cowboys despite their lack of success the last 26 years. You can continue to rant but I’m moving on to other topics.
I’ll never be done ranting about him until one of us has no breath left.

ESisback

Reaction score
I get the dislike for Jerry, but imagine being a Pittsburgh Pirate fan. At one time they were one of THE great baseball clubs, but now? Imagine if the Nuttings owned the Cowboys!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who “sold their souls” for Super Bowls?

The entire NFL was more respectful and enjoyable 29 years ago. Nowdays it doesn’t matter what you do or how much you win—there will always be tons of entitled fans and bitter rivals SCREAMING about your incompetence and lack of integrity. Look at the Pats. All that winning, Goat QB, Goat HC, multiple Lombardi’s, etc., and all the criticism—Signalgate, Deflategate, envy, weak AFCE, etc., etc. Accomplishments and achievements are never enough, tradition and legacy have been forgotten, and the appetite for drama and confrontation is insatiable.
The fans who say the early success was worth whatever happens since and moving forward.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Early on Jerry was willing to listen to others, but somewhere on the journey he decided he was the real football brains of the outfit. That was the worst day in franchise history.

ESisback

Reaction score
The fans who say the early success was worth whatever happens since and moving forward.
I don’t think anyone is saying that. I think most are grateful for the first 7, unhappy about the last 26, and hopeful for the future, which is all a normal fan can really be.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Think Jerry will ever be as unhappy or unfulfilled as you?
Of course not. That has no bearing on my actions anymore than any public figure or event I’ve protested or been an activist on. We know our efforts can all be for not. But we rest better knowing we’ve done our part.

Last edited by a moderator:

ESisback

Reaction score
Of course not. That has no bearing on my actions anymore than any public figure or event I’ve protested or been an activist on. We know our efforts can all be for not. But we rest better knowing we’ve done our part.
The war effort continues…✊

Last edited by a moderator:

Big_D

Reaction score
You didn’t realize how big of a POS he would be 33 years later. Three championships were nice but certainly don’t make up for his complete ineptitude since the Jimmy years!

Motorola

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s been rough since 96. But I promise any fan base that isn’t the Steelers, Packers, Patriots would kill for 3 Super Bowls in that time
But the portion of the Cowboys Fan base born in the mid- 90's and later haven't come close to experiencing one great moment like that ---- let alone that period of dominace.

basel90

Reaction score
It wasn’t . Local owner of the Dallas Mavericks Donald Carter bid on the Cowboys . As did Dr Jerry Buss the flamboyant owner of the LA Lakers.
Interesting as I never heard Jerry got into a bidding situation. Jerry had to borrow a lot to get it done , and I heard the saudi prince ( Bandar) freind helped him as well . Just. Seems odd no local group outbid Jerry .

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can you explain in detail what forms of self-sponsored protest or activism you have conducted towards Jerry Jones and/or his family since February 25, 1989? Please note that rantings on a fansite is a self-coping method and not a realistic form of effective protest or activism.

RD21

Reaction score
Well, here we are again, calling fans out because they haven't been to a game or Dallas.

And let me take a shot on their behalf. You have no idea, absolutely none, what it is like to be a fan living in enemy territory. But I do and that was only for 3 years in PA but calling fans "casual" based on your own criteria is wrong.

I don't care how many times anyone has been to Dallas, overrated if you ask me and I lived there for 28 years, or even been to a game, that is not the litmus test for being a fan, casual or otherwise.

And because others do not obsess over this owner or team doesn't make them less of a fan.

The fans I really respect here the most are those in other cities, they chose this team. This isn't a choice because it's local. Fans in the East areas are the true diehards.
I identify with this post :cool:

I live in Virginia. I grew up in Northern Virginia just outside the beltway. 100% Washington territory. My entire family is/was die hard Skins fans. Call me the black sheep, or just one that had to be different. I was enamored with Staubach, Dorsett, Randy White, Too Tall, Charlie Waters, & of course, Tom Landry. For reference, my father had season tickets to Washington my entire life. My brother still has season tickets, for awhile they both did. I've never been to a single game with either of them.

I went to a couple Cowboys games as a kid (with my Mother, & friends). I was at the NFC Championship game following the 82 season. Still remember White getting KO'd. Raided my bank account to pay $100 (scalper) for the ticket. Still have the ticket stub:

00-Pa-WsxCsFEqbeo6Hba-tq_K7IcqdBF8hXPrWz3MVIDqZeM0VXfRs4H9ZQQ3UE3UFqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

I was sure bummed when Landry was fired, & Jones bought the team. However, we hadn't been good for a bit, & we sure were handsomely rewarded in a few years. Everybody who was of age, & a fan during the Jimmy years knows how exciting that was. Wow. It was a pretty amazing experience.

I was just as bummed as anybody when Jimmy left. I never thought we be here this many years later though, & not have sniffed a Championship game since the '95 season. Yikes..:eek: Has it been worth it... well, that's debatable. Would I agree to another 25+ year drought to win the Super Bowl this year....... probably :D

I flew, or drove, to Dallas many times over the years to watch games. I sure am glad I got to see a game in Texas Stadium. In 2009 when Jerry World opened, I was a season ticket holder. I flew in to games I wanted to see, & sold the rest of them. After a few years of Garrett, & choking in the playoffs I wanna say 2014 season... I decided I was no longer going to financially support the franchise. Got rid of my season tickets, & PSL, & haven't bought anything Cowboys since.

I'm still a fan, & always will be. I just don't let them emotionally affect my life anymore. I want to see us win as much as anybody. However, it could always be worse. There's plenty of fans my age & younger, that have never experienced their team winning, much less have a dominant era. So, I'll always be grateful for those experience. However, my heart will always be with Landry, Staubach, & Co... they brought me here, & rewarded me with the '90s.

This is the bookcase behind my desk:
00-Pa-WsxCsFEqbeo6Hba-tq_K7IcqdBF8hXPrWz3MVIDrQzd3KoE9684X_Y8dxbbrnqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Broncos were in the 1989 season and 2013 season Super Bowls won by the 9ers and Seahawks

Broncos made the 1989 season AFCCG because they were in that Super Bowl (that was played in 1990)

They made the 2013 season AFCCG because they were in that Super Bowl, also made the 2005 season AFCCG started by Jake Plummer. They were also in the 1991 season AFCCG.

I got the rest from the fact I know stuff. Also probably underestimated their playoff wins in that span, looks like way over 20.
9ers haven't won one since 95

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Can you explain in detail what forms of self-sponsored protest or activism you have conducted towards Jerry Jones and/or his family since February 25, 1989? Please note that rantings on a fansite is a self-coping method and not a realistic form of effective protest or activism.
As a long standing season ticket holder at Texas Stadium I was part of a group of other season ticket holders who Jethro initially met with as we offered our concerns for the new stadiums guidelines for purchasing season tickets and PSL. Most of us which included tens of thousands season tickets holders didn’t make the move to new stadium.

Initially in 1989 I participated in Tom Landry parade of appreciation which was a protest of sorts against his firing .

And I was part of a group which protested against Jethro taking over land and specifically individual housing from property owners in Arlington which help lead to rather large settlements.

There really hasn’t been any other organized protest I’m aware of . Most of us ole diehards mainly took to the airwaves and print in those early years writing letters to the editors and calling in on radio shows to express our objections to his way of running Cowboys Football.

Some of the areas local broadcasters and sports personalities took the lead like Randy Galloway and Dale Hansen. Even former players who had their own radio show with Drew Pearson and Charlie Waters were very outspoken on Jethro’s ways. It’s why most felt Drew for so long wasn’t inducted into ROH.

After I walked away from 4 decades of season tickets I learned of these online sites which were a means of spreading the word of objection to Jethro’s ways which was an extension of the radio broadcast and local affiliates attempts to call out our owner.

I was actually part of a group who walked away from their season tickets after 2007 season not waiting until final year in 2008. Jethro had concerns of selling out all of the new season tickets initially and begin lobbying to change the NFL Blackout rule which would not only move it from 72 hours to 24 but would allow owners to buy remaining tickets to avoid local blackouts. This new rule took effect in 2009, the first season of course with new stadium.

Unfortunately most of these efforts of course haven’t made much impact as the brilliant revolutionary revenue streams Jethro sued the league over and implemented over time has enabled him to prosper without more success on the field during this era. But we are seeing a growing fan apathy which we have been seeing in fan attendance as more season ticket holders look to recoup their PSL cost by brokering out a few games a year, some are brokering them all out. And we’ve also seen local TV viewership drop to level we haven’t seen in decades . So, while the locals are sending a message it’s time for fans across the country to send one as well and why these internet sites can be potentially far reaching .

Last edited: