The worst day in Cowboys history

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s no doubt been the most frustrating time in all of my sports fan life . I’ve learned to lower my expectations and became an apathetic fan.

The good news is my Alma Mater which was a dormant school for most of my life has become more of a contender even winning their first national championship in a major sport last year . So my fandom has come full circle with my favorite professional team becoming more dormant .

Losing doesn’t bother me as much as the disrespect and dysfunction one person has caused because of his egotistical selfish ways. Any franchise can lose even with great leadership but what our beloved Cowboys have become is my most embarrassing sports conundrum. I just hope I out live the SOB.

But as long as there are Jethro sympathizers which these forums is main place I’ve found them , there is work to be done and seeds to be planted.

When I first came on these forums about 15 years ago I never expected opposition to speaking out against our owner as I have full support with all of my Cowboy fans here. I’m still not quite sure what to make of it. There’s either not all Cowboy fans here or they don’t appreciate or fully understand my intent . Just not sure. Perhaps it’s just the internet or anonymous nature we have here. I have to believe if they could see and have lived my life with the Cowboys they’d better understand and or appreciate my position.
I've told you, but you are refusing the information.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I've told you, but you are refusing the information.
I understand and appreciate the support . I realize there’s less and less who support our ownership and or sympathize but it’s difficult for me to walk away from their resistance especially when they meet me head on.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand and appreciate the support . I realize there’s less and less who support our ownership and or sympathize but it’s difficult for me to walk away from their resistance especially when they meet me head on.
Don Quixote, how long have you been fighting this windmill?

Haven't you been to games since he bought the team? Be easier to follow you up that hill if you had a gun in your hand.

Acceptance of what is and over which we have no control is a much easier way to go through life.

You've been beating this same drum for so long and interjecting it into so many threads that it has worn on some. I think I have done some of that myself because I dislike him far more than you do as a person.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s no doubt been the most frustrating time in all of my sports fan life.

It must be for you to want to give up everything the Cowboys accomplished in the 90s for a roll of the dice with another owner in hopes of winning more than three Super Bowls. Were you following the Cowboys back in the 90s? There’s teams that haven’t been to the Super Bowl in 33 years. There’s teams that have never been to the Super Bowl. The Rams have had a number of terrific teams over the years dating back to when they were first in Los Angeles and they’ve only won 2 Super Bowls. Only the Packers, Steelers and Patriots had the kind of success the Cowboys had in the 90s. We’re all frustrated with the teams lack of success the past 26 years but the great history of this organization gets me and many others through it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It must be for you to want to give up everything the Cowboys accomplished in the 90s for a roll of the dice with another owner in hopes of winning more than three Super Bowls. Were you following the Cowboys back in the 90s? There’s teams that haven’t been to the Super Bowl in 33 years. There’s teams that have never been to the Super Bowl. The Rams have had a number of terrific teams over the years dating back to when they were first in Los Angeles and they’ve only won 2 Super Bowls. Only the Packers, Steelers and Patriots had the kind of success the Cowboys had in the 90s. We’re all frustrated with the teams lack of success the past 26 years but the great history of this organization gets me and many others through it.
Winning is not everything. I’d never sell my soul out for Super Bowls alone. The 29 years prior were much more respectful and enjoyable without as many championships. There’s no sports figure local Cowboy fans hate more than their favorite franchise owner.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Don Quixote, how long have you been fighting this windmill?

Haven't you been to games since he bought the team? Be easier to follow you up that hill if you had a gun in your hand.

Acceptance of what is and over which we have no control is a much easier way to go through life.

You've been beating this same drum for so long and interjecting it into so many threads that it has worn on some. I think I have done some of that myself because I dislike him far more than you do as a person.
It’s the root of my existence here. Without my assault on our ownership I’d have no core purpose here. It’s what drew me into these fan forums years ago. This is the only place I face resistance which fuels my passion to continue however few object. And I’ll fight it until my last breath or his.

It’s not my nature to accept. Ive always been in control on most aspects in my life or fought like hell against them. I’ve had to tolerate this mess but not without an uproar at every turn and opportunity. And screw these it’s worn on. They have options here to ignore or avoid just like they do on other issues they tire of.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Winning is not everything. I’d never sell my soul out for Super Bowls alone. The 29 years prior were much more respectful and enjoyable without as many championships.

In sports winning is everything. It’s all about winning the Super Bowl in the NFL. The Rams just sold out to win one Super Bowl. You have one of the strangest outlooks I’ve ever seen. There’s fans on this board that have posted they’re willing to endure 10 years of losing just for one championship. Sounds like you would be content just making the playoffs every year even if it led to nothing. That’s the impression you’re giving.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In sports winning is everything. It’s all about winning the Super Bowl in the NFL. The Rams just sold out to win one Super Bowl. You have one of the strangest outlooks I’ve ever seen. There’s fans on this board that have posted they’re willing to endure 10 years of losing just for one championship. Sounds like you would be content just making the playoffs every year even if it led to nothing. That’s the impression you’re giving.
It’s all about having a greater opportunity for success which this ownership doesn’t provide. The fact they had some early success doesn’t support they will find it again with the methods they are following .

But no, winning isn’t everything. But not making every effort to win is even worse.

How could any sane Cowboy fan support this ownerships methods?

This thread and article are simply a reminder which changed Cowboys history forever. The worst day in Cowboys history for me. Did we have some early success with Jimmy. Of course but that shouldn’t give Jethro a pass for life nor excuse what’s transpired under his tenure.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s all about having a greater opportunity for success which this ownership doesn’t provide. The fact they had some early success doesn’t support they will find it again with the methods they are following .

But no, winning isn’t everything. But not making every effort to win is even worse.

No offense but you sound totally lost. Winning is everything. One reason the Cowboys had early success under Jerry was there wasn’t a salary cap or free agency. We were able to build a great team and keep it together until free agency arrived. The Cowboys would’ve never had the success they did for as long as they did in the 70s if there was a salary cap and free agency. Everyone would’ve been raiding our roster. Jerry makes every effort to win it just hasn’t happened. He’s gone through several coaches and made some significant moves to try and make the team better. You’re being ridiculous if you don’t think he’s trying to make the team better. We all have our issues with him but to say he’s not making an effort is completely untrue.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If the anniversary of when this dysfunctional ownership purchased our favorite franchise isn’t a good time to reflect then when is?

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No offense but you sound totally lost. Winning is everything. One reason the Cowboys had early success under Jerry was there wasn’t a salary cap or free agency. We were able to build a great team and keep it together until free agency arrived. The Cowboys would’ve never had the success they did for as long as they did in the 70s if there was a salary cap and free agency. Everyone would’ve been raiding our roster. Jerry makes every effort to win it just hasn’t happened. He’s gone through several coaches and made some significant moves to try and make the team better. You’re being ridiculous if you don’t think he’s trying to make the team better. We all have our issues with him but to say he’s not making an effort is completely untrue.
He’s not doing everything within his power to win if he’s admitted he’d of fired a GM with his record.

He’s doing everything in order to stay in control. Jethro only wants to win his way. If you’ve truly bought into his way is the only way then you are one of the fans fueling his ways.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He’s not doing everything within his power to win if he’s admitted he’d of fired a GM with his record.

He’s doing everything in order to stay in control. Jethro only wants to win his way. If you’ve truly bought into his way is the only way then you are one of the fans fueling his ways.

He would fire himself as a GM because he didn’t do a good job not because he didn’t try. You’re claiming he’s making no effort. Hiring a GM doesn’t guarantee success. Washington has been spinning their wheels for 23 years under Daniel Snyder who’s gone through several GM’s and HC’s. You hate Jerry we get it!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He would fire himself as a GM because he didn’t do a good job not because he didn’t try. You’re claiming he’s making no effort. Hiring a GM doesn’t guarantee success. Washington has been spinning their wheels for 23 years under Daniel Snyder who’s gone through several GM’s and HC’s.
I didn’t say he wasn’t making any effort. Making an effort within his methods or ways isn’t doing everything possible to win. If you can’t see the difference then I can’t help you.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I didn’t say he wasn’t making any effort. Making an effort within his methods or ways isn’t doing everything possible to win. If you can’t see the difference then I can’t help you.

Correction you said making every effort. What else can he do to satisfy you? Do you think hiring a GM will guarantee success? In my opinion he does make every effort he’s just made a lot of bad decisions. He needs to give his head coaches more control. That would be a step in the right direction. That’s what led to his success with Jimmy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Correction you said making every effort. What else can he do to satisfy you? Do you think hiring a GM will guarantee success? In my opinion he does make every effort he’s just made a lot of bad decisions. He needs to give his head coaches more control. That would be a step in the right direction. That’s what led to his success with Jimmy.
That’s all part of not making every effort with the toxic culture with our HC’s.

This not a normal situation under his dysfunctional organization. It’s not an environment which is conducive for football success.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade that day back because it means giving up 3 Lombardi trophies.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade that day back because it means giving up 3 Lombardi trophies.
It doesn’t have to. We don’t know what success another ownership could have delivered in 33 years and or moving forward.

What would you give up to rid ourselves of what this ownership has delivered since. Or does that provide him a pass for life? The honeymoon was worth a miserable marriage?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That’s all part of not making every effort with the toxic culture with our HC’s.

This not a normal situation under his dysfunctional organization. It’s not an environment which is conducive for football success.

The working relationship he had with Jimmy wasn’t normal but it worked. Some think all Jerry needs to do is hire a GM and the team will be back to winning Super Bowls. It’s not that simple!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The working relationship he had with Jimmy wasn’t normal but it worked.
I’m glad you are happy with our situation. And feel confident there’s hope to overcome Jethro’s ways. Not many I know of. But obviously still out there.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It doesn’t have to. We don’t know what success another ownership could have delivered in 33 years and or moving forward.

What would you give up to rid ourselves of what this ownership has delivered since. Or does that provide him a pass for life? The honeymoon was worth a miserable marriage?
Undoing the day Jerry bought the Cowboys most certainly negates the events of every day after. It means a new timeline. The three Super Bowl titles in hand are way better than the uncertainty of what may happen in an alternate timeline. This is my opinion. Please stop trying to dissuade me from my own opinion. We can disagree.