The worst day in Cowboys history

J_Allen

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s been rough since 96. But I promise any fan base that isn’t the Steelers, Packers, Patriots would kill for 3 Super Bowls in that time

I rewatched highlights from the 96 playoff game in carolina. If Irvin doesn't go down we win easily.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Considering we do not know what another owner would have done, would they have hired Johnson and agreed to trade the franchise? Would they have been under the gun and taken drastic measures to turn it around and get it out of the red?

Those 3 rings came with a price but who knows if they're still stuck on 2 if not for Booger buying the team and hiring Johnson? They're relationship going back to the mid 60's gave Booger the comfort level to turn the team over to Jimmy while he dealt with more pressing matters like not going the way that Bum Bright did.

Because we've had Booger for so long and this 26 years thing hangs around, we really do overstate it. He is not the worst GM and the Cowboys could have done worse, many other teams have and continue to do so.

The Cowboys were the first to win 3 in a 4 year span and still only 1 of 2 teams to do that. Prior to that, they'd won 2 in a 6 year span and it was 16 years between the 2nd and 3rd. With all of the hoopla surrounding the Dallas Cowboys, that 90's team is still the only one that can be entered in the best ever contest.

As fans, we feasted and thought that's the way we'd eat forever but it would have been better to have spaced out those 3 wins every 9 years and we might not have this 26 year thing that haunts this forum.
Unfortunately,ego got in the way.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately,ego got in the way.
Envy got in the way. He saw what a rock star Jimmy had become and the old jealously at Arkansas reared its head. They were roommates and I can tell you every Arkansan could recite the names on the defense because they set the record for fewest points and had 5 games that were shutouts. The stars of that national championship team were on the defense and Jimmy was a brash young man on the DL back then, think he didn't rub a little of that in on his roomy?

Booger becomes the Satan of Arkansas, who Texans thought were shoeless Neanderthals to begin with, by firing Landry and Landry's replacement not only skates by that he becomes a local legend. Booger gets credible death threats over the Emmitt holdout and Jimmy gets credit for riding in and saving the day and saving the season. Booger gets credit for the 0-2 start.

And to top all of that off, Booger gets blitzed one night and wants a little credit, and respect in his mind, and Jimmy and his boys won't even toast him as the owner. In most businesses, it's not good to slight the boss. They had finally stepped over the line and made it personal.

In the SEC Network doc "Before They Were Cowboys", Jimmy talks about how Booger really wanted to be a coach and Switzer was their mentor but his drive to be rich trumped his desire to be a coach. The he sees Jimmy have success at OK State and a national championship at Miami and Jimmy is who Booger wanted to be. Hiring him had the reverse effect, Booger discovered he could never be Jimmy and Jimmy's boys confirmed that. One really was a football man and the other signed checks and contracts.

Jimmy's shadow will never leave Booger. Jimmy, his one time roommate and friend, really is his adversary. Jimmy lives rent free in Booger's ego. He looks at those 3 rings and knows, those are not his, they are Jimmy's. Hell, Jimmy even gets credit after he's gone for two years.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Envy got in the way. He saw what a rock star Jimmy had become and the old jealously at Arkansas reared its head. They were roommates and I can tell you every Arkansan could recite the names on the defense because they set the record for fewest points and had 5 games that were shutouts. The stars of that national championship team were on the defense and Jimmy was a brash young man on the DL back then, think he didn't rub a little of that in on his roomy?

Booger becomes the Satan of Arkansas, who Texans thought were shoeless Neanderthals to begin with, by firing Landry and Landry's replacement not only skates by that he becomes a local legend. Booger gets credible death threats over the Emmitt holdout and Jimmy gets credit for riding in and saving the day and saving the season. Booger gets credit for the 0-2 start.

And to top all of that off, Booger gets blitzed one night and wants a little credit, and respect in his mind, and Jimmy and his boys won't even toast him as the owner. In most businesses, it's not good to slight the boss. They had finally stepped over the line and made it personal.

In the SEC Network doc "Before They Were Cowboys", Jimmy talks about how Booger really wanted to be a coach and Switzer was their mentor but his drive to be rich trumped his desire to be a coach. The he sees Jimmy have success at OK State and a national championship at Miami and Jimmy is who Booger wanted to be. Hiring him had the reverse effect, Booger discovered he could never be Jimmy and Jimmy's boys confirmed that. One really was a football man and the other signed checks and contracts.

Jimmy's shadow will never leave Booger. Jimmy, his one time roommate and friend, really is his adversary. Jimmy lives rent free in Booger's ego. He looks at those 3 rings and knows, those are not his, they are Jimmy's. Hell, Jimmy even gets credit after he's gone for two years.
Great info that’s not just someone’s twitter feed.I love it!

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ah yes 1989
Jerry in, Tom out, and my dad passed a month later. Yuk

ESisback

Reaction score
Broncos probably wouldn’t trade their last 33 years (Jerry era) for yours

3 rings, 5 SB appearances, 7 Championship game appearances (8?), 20+ playoff wins
And I also wouldn’t trade my Cowboys fandom for a joke like Philly…

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Worst day and best day.
I agree with this, this was the day Jerry put ego before logo :facepalm:

I wouldn't go that far TF. I think as some have stated the worst day was when he let Jimmy go, I still think we would have been the only team with 3 or even four in a row, 92,93,94,95 had he not been such an ***. You gotta give Jerry some credit for at least hiring Jimmy and then listening to him for that short period. He has made a financial dynasty out of the team, not that most or any of us here care about that

ESisback

Reaction score
You believe the Cowboys are held in higher regard today than Philadelphia?
Not by some very vocal ABD’s, but the evidence is staggering—more fans, better ratings, more franchise value, a huge edge in head to head matchups, a nicer stadium, more playoffs and Super Bowls in 62 years than Philly has in 80-something, etc., etc.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Nope, because that did result in 3 Super Bowl championships. Today his old success is wearing thin, but this is still way better than if the team had been bought and there were no championships since then.

The worst day in Dallas Cowboys history was January 10, 1982 when we played in the NFC Championship and deserved to win, but the Commie 9ers won with help from the PI non-call on Eric Wright in the endzone. Wright totally interfered with Cosbie on 3rd down, preventing a touchdown that would have put the game out of reach.

It marked the beginning of the decline of the great Landry-era teams.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Not by some very vocal ABD’s, but the evidence is staggering—more fans, better ratings, more franchise value, a huge edge in head to head matchups, a nicer stadium, more playoffs and Super Bowls in 62 years than Philly has in 80-something, etc., etc.

And how much of that is lingering from before the last 26 years?

Plankton

Reaction score
Was there anyone else bidding for the Boys?

That would be the question. Bum Bright was a POS. Really was a BUM.

We have become what the Raiders were those last ten years Al Davis was alive.

a joke.

Those continually defending Jerry by referring to what happened almost 30 years ago are MORONS. It is very clear that virtually all that success was due to Jimmy. If Jerry really was doing anything other than signing checks he sure hasn't been worth much since.

Yes. Donald Carter (old owner of the Mavericks), Dr. Jerry Buss (late owner of the Lakers) and a Japanese conglomerate were all in on the bidding. The issue with Bright was that he wanted Landry fired, but didn't have the stones to do it himself. He wanted the next owner to do it, but the above bidders showed no inclination to make a coaching change. Carter, in particular, was very close with Landry. Jones indicated that he would be bringing Jimmy Johnson with him as the new coach, and that zoomed him to the head of the line, despite not offering the same amount for the team as the others.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Haha, it's laughable some would think that's the worst day in franchise history.

How about the day Jason Garrett got hired as head coach?

Flamma

Reaction score
Broncos probably wouldn’t trade their last 33 years (Jerry era) for yours

3 rings, 5 SB appearances, 7 Championship game appearances (8?), 20+ playoff wins

You're probably right. But I think it's 4 super bowl appearances in Jerry's time. I especially liked the '89 appearance. As I won a king's ransom gambling against that crap SB team.

Oops, forgot about 2013.