The worst day in Cowboys history

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
To be far more relevant than Philly? Actually, quite a bit.

The Browns used to be in the NFL title game every year. Jags had an awesome start to their franchise in 96-02. Even Detroit has a championship pedigree if you go back far enough.

How much of the Cowboys winning the title in 1978 has any effect on the current NFL landscape? I have no doubt it helps you feel a bit better about the current shortcomings of the team, but many people didn’t even know 2019 was not KC’s first ring. The Jerry Jones era is far more relevant to right now than anything that came before

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes. Donald Carter (old owner of the Mavericks), Dr. Jerry Buss (late owner of the Lakers) and a Japanese conglomerate were all in on the bidding. The issue with Bright was that he wanted Landry fired, but didn't have the stones to do it himself. He wanted the next owner to do it, but the above bidders showed no inclination to make a coaching change. Carter, in particular, was very close with Landry. Jones indicated that he would be bringing Jimmy Johnson with him as the new coach, and that zoomed him to the head of the line, despite not offering the same amount for the team as the others.
All true and glad someone added this information about the other valid bids which were all higher than Jethro’s .

A couple of worthy notes is Bum wasn’t allowed to fire Landry due to the conditions of his purchase with Clint Murchison which left the decision up to Tex and while the fact Jethro was going to fire Landry knowingly bringing in Jimmy that wasn’t the only incentive for Bum as he was facing personal bankruptcy with his Savings and Loans and needed cash which Jethro provided. And wouldn’t have to wait for Buss or Carter to sell out their majority stakes in Mavs or Lakers which would have taken more time.

As it turned out Bum was the worst owner that Murchison could have sold to as he placed the Cowboys in a position to sell to someone like Jethro instead of more proven and established ownership that Buss or Carter would have provided without all of the drama and embarrassment we’ve had with the socks to jocks fiasco.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Browns used to be in the NFL title game every year. Jags had an awesome start to their franchise in 96-02. Even Detroit has a championship pedigree if you go back far enough.

How much of the Cowboys winning the title in 1978 has any effect on the current NFL landscape? I have no doubt it helps you feel a bit better about the current shortcomings of the team, but many people didn’t even know 2019 was not KC’s first ring. The Jerry Jones era is far more relevant to right now than anything that came before
Cowboy fans have our history to cling on to but there’s not a single fan I’ve ever spoken to in last couple decades that would trade for Jethro becoming their owner .

No other fans would want the embarrassment and hurdles his type of ownership presents this era. No one !! At least none I’ve known.

GMO415

Reaction score
Perhaps Dallas's "Good Enough" culture comes from Jerry. They guy has accomplished more than most owners.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Cowboy fans have our history to cling on to but there’s not a single fan I’ve ever spoken to in last couple decades that would trade for Jethro becoming their owner .

No other fans would want the embarrassment and hurdles his type of ownership presents this era. No one !! At least none I’ve known.

I don’t actually mind Jerral the owner… as long as he’s only the the owner. There’s the conundrum

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When the Cowboys were sold and Landry was fired was one of the best days for me as a Cowboys fan. No disrespect to Tom Landry but it was time for a change. Even Tex Schramm was trying to convince Landry to retire. The only way the Cowboys were going to get out of the rut they were in was to change ownership and head coach. Those three championships in the 90s don’t happen if Jerry doesn’t buy the team and hire Jimmy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t actually mind Jerral the owner… as long as he’s only the the owner. There’s the conundrum
But that’s the problem. You can’t separate . He might could have been a great owner without his insistence on being a celebrity football guy.

It’s created a toxic culture which isn’t inductive for success. Not to mention all of the embarrassment and drama it presents. We went from one of the classiest football franchises to the classless.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When the Cowboys were sold and Landry was fired was one of the best days for me as a Cowboys fan. No disrespect to Tom Landry but it was time for a change. Even Tex Schramm was trying to convince Landry to retire. The only way the Cowboys were going to get out of the rut they were in was to change ownership and head coach. Those three championships in the 90s don’t happen if Jerry doesn’t buy the team and hire Jimmy.
That’s something we’ll never know. It’s not likely we’d of won 3 in that span but we also don’t know the success we could have had over the last 33 years. Not to mention a classier ran football franchise.

For some reason we have fans that accept selling our souls and giving Jethro a pass for that early success.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Or maybe Landry just needed an Aikman instead of Pelluer and Hogenbloom. Jimmy doesn't win SBs without Troy, either.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That’s something we’ll never know. It’s not likely we’d of won 3 in that span but we also don’t know the success we could have had over the last 33 years.

For some reason we have fans that accept selling our souls and giving Jethro a pass for that early success.

The magic had died with the old regime. They were all old living in the past. The formula wasn’t working anymore times had changed. Landry couldn’t let go of the flex defense. Two of those teams we had in the 90s were better than any of the teams we had in the 70s. They weren’t finesse teams they were physical!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Or maybe Landry just needed an Aikman instead of Pelluer and Hogenbloom. Jimmy doesn't win SBs without Troy, either.

He needed more than Aikman. Landry said himself in an interview he would’ve never traded Herschel Walker. No Walker trade no Emmitt Smith. He would’ve never made the trade for Charles Haley. We don’t win any of those Super Bowls without those two trades.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The magic had died with the old regime. They were all old living in the past. The formula wasn’t working anymore times had changed. Landry couldn’t let go of the flex defense. Two of those teams we had in the 90s were better than any of the teams we had in the 70s. They weren’t finesse teams they were physical!
The era with Landry was still more iconic than with Jethro despite only winning 2 Rings. If you don’t see that then you’ll always bow down to this embarrassment.

Just because it was probably time to move on from Landry doesn’t justify settling for this ownership.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The era with Landry was still more iconic than with Jethro despite only winning 2 Rings. If you don’t see that then you’ll always bow down to this embarrassment.

Just because it was probably time to move on from Landry doesn’t justify settling for this ownership.

Let’s be fair the Landry era didn’t have to deal with a salary cap and free agency. We had basically the same lineup year after year because you could keep your players. The same teams were good every year the Steelers, Rams, Cowboys and Vikings. Once you built a great team back then you could sustain for years.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Here are some days since Jerry's purchase that were definitely worse for me at the time.

Most of it is blocked NFL content, you'll have to go straight to Youtube.

At the 5:00 mark, Jimmy leaves Dallas

For fans and players, the official end of the dynasty, the heart & soul of that 90's team Michael Irvin possibly paralyzed, eventually retires

At the 7:00 mark, Romo's botched snap, so much hope with the Parcells rebuild just snapped

Dez Bryant's catch, such bull%*#$#, when Playoff slumps started to get routine

Loss to the Rams in the Playoffs after so much hope with Dak & Zeke coming out, Coop, etc. especially how much they just beat us up

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He needed more than Aikman. Landry said himself in an interview he would’ve never traded Herschel Walker. No Walker trade no Emmitt Smith. He would’ve never made the trade for Charles Haley. We don’t win any of those Super Bowls without those two trades.
I agree he probably wouldn’t have traded Walker. Have always maintained that.

I also have said Landry’s demise was after White went down in 1986 after starting 6-2 finishing 7-9 and never had another winning season with the likes of Hogeboom or Pueller.

But with Aikman, Irvin and Walker could have been a nucleus to rebuild around. Would we have had as much success as quickly. Probably not. But I wasn’t sold Landry wanted to stay around very long. I think he just wanted to steer us back to a better place.

And if you recall Tex had already been entertaining a way for Tom to leave on his own terms and Jimmy’s name had come up. We didn’t have to sell our souls along with the respect and dignity of our franchise for the next 40- 50 years for those 3 Super Bowls.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree he probably wouldn’t have traded Walker. Have always maintained that.

I also have said Landry’s demise was after White went down in 1986 after starting 6-2 finishing 7-9 and never had another winning season with the likes of Hogeboom or Pueller.

But with Aikman, Irvin and Walker could have been a nucleus to rebuild around. Would we have had as much success as quickly. Probably not. But I wasn’t sold Landry wanted to stay around very long. I think he just wanted to steer us back to a better place.

And if you recall Tex had already been entertaining a way for Tom to leave on his own terms and Jimmy’s name had come up. We didn’t have to sell our souls along with the respect and dignity of our franchise for the next 40- 50 years for those 3 Super Bowls.

We had the Aikman, Irvin, Walker trio and couldn’t win a game. The Walker trade was a must to build those great teams. We had to have Charles Haley to get past the 49ers. Tom Landry was stuck in the past. His formula from the 60s and 70s wasn’t working anymore.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Envy got in the way. He saw what a rock star Jimmy had become and the old jealously at Arkansas reared its head. They were roommates and I can tell you every Arkansan could recite the names on the defense because they set the record for fewest points and had 5 games that were shutouts. The stars of that national championship team were on the defense and Jimmy was a brash young man on the DL back then, think he didn't rub a little of that in on his roomy?

Booger becomes the Satan of Arkansas, who Texans thought were shoeless Neanderthals to begin with, by firing Landry and Landry's replacement not only skates by that he becomes a local legend. Booger gets credible death threats over the Emmitt holdout and Jimmy gets credit for riding in and saving the day and saving the season. Booger gets credit for the 0-2 start.

And to top all of that off, Booger gets blitzed one night and wants a little credit, and respect in his mind, and Jimmy and his boys won't even toast him as the owner. In most businesses, it's not good to slight the boss. They had finally stepped over the line and made it personal.

In the SEC Network doc "Before They Were Cowboys", Jimmy talks about how Booger really wanted to be a coach and Switzer was their mentor but his drive to be rich trumped his desire to be a coach. The he sees Jimmy have success at OK State and a national championship at Miami and Jimmy is who Booger wanted to be. Hiring him had the reverse effect, Booger discovered he could never be Jimmy and Jimmy's boys confirmed that. One really was a football man and the other signed checks and contracts.

Jimmy's shadow will never leave Booger. Jimmy, his one time roommate and friend, really is his adversary. Jimmy lives rent free in Booger's ego. He looks at those 3 rings and knows, those are not his, they are Jimmy's. Hell, Jimmy even gets credit after he's gone for two years.
This wins the thread.