The worst day in Cowboys history

quickccc

Reaction score
aQraYNL.jpg

Feb 25th 1989 I still so vividly recall watching on WFAA local Channel 8. The day everything changed in Cowboys history.

“In the last three decades the Cowboys have returned to the top of the National Football League as the shiniest star of the bunch for marketing purposes. Early on in Jerry’s ownership, they also returned to the top of the league from a competition standpoint as they won three Super Bowls in the first seven years, but ever since then things have been tough sledding.

There is no denying the financial impact that Jerry Jones has had on the Dallas Cowboys, surrounding DFW areas, and even the NFL as a whole. He is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame as an owner. His work on issues outside of the field helped him get there, like the influence he had in returning the league to Los Angeles where the hometown Rams just won the Super Bowl. The Rams played that game in the very palace that was built for them, one that was no doubt inspired by Jerry’s luxurious AT&T Stadium.

All of that is great and notable and makes for interesting books and documentaries. Unfortunately, the thing that matters to most fans is the success of the team on the field, and everything else has started to become frustrating as the team hasn’t appeared in a conference championship game in 26 years.

Think about that. The first seven years with Jerry at the helm as owner, general manager, and president were tons of success. But in the 26 years since, 79% of Jerry’s ownership, have been frustration, drama, and some success, but more of the first two.“

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ry-jones-bought-the-dallas-cowboys/ar-AAUjX48

LOL ...yet another doom and gloom thread and post ? ...... are you always THIS cheerful ... ?? :muttley:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We had the Aikman, Irvin, Walker trio and couldn’t win a game. The Walker trade was a must to build those great teams. We had to have Charles Haley to get past the 49ers. Tom Landry was stuck in the past. His formula from the 60s and 70s wasn’t working anymore.
The Walker trade speeded up the process but it wasn’t the only way to rebuild. And like I said , winning those SB’s wasn’t worth selling our souls for the rest of our lives. We don’t know what level of success we might have had the last 33 years with another ownership.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Walker trade speeded up the process but it wasn’t the only way to rebuild. And like I said , winning those SB’s wasn’t worth selling our souls for the rest of our lives. We don’t know what level of success we might have had the last 33 years with another ownership.

I’m telling you those championships don’t happen without the Walker and Haley trade. The 49ers would’ve dominated that decade without those trades. Not likely we would have won three Super Bowls in four years with another owner. Those championships included back-to-back Super Bowls and the team of the 90s. See how many organizations have accomplished that in their entire history. The 92 team is ranked as one of the top 10 greatest teams of all time.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
aQraYNL.jpg

Feb 25th 1989 I still so vividly recall watching on WFAA local Channel 8. The day everything changed in Cowboys history.

“In the last three decades the Cowboys have returned to the top of the National Football League as the shiniest star of the bunch for marketing purposes. Early on in Jerry’s ownership, they also returned to the top of the league from a competition standpoint as they won three Super Bowls in the first seven years, but ever since then things have been tough sledding.

There is no denying the financial impact that Jerry Jones has had on the Dallas Cowboys, surrounding DFW areas, and even the NFL as a whole. He is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame as an owner. His work on issues outside of the field helped him get there, like the influence he had in returning the league to Los Angeles where the hometown Rams just won the Super Bowl. The Rams played that game in the very palace that was built for them, one that was no doubt inspired by Jerry’s luxurious AT&T Stadium.

All of that is great and notable and makes for interesting books and documentaries. Unfortunately, the thing that matters to most fans is the success of the team on the field, and everything else has started to become frustrating as the team hasn’t appeared in a conference championship game in 26 years.

Think about that. The first seven years with Jerry at the helm as owner, general manager, and president were tons of success. But in the 26 years since, 79% of Jerry’s ownership, have been frustration, drama, and some success, but more of the first two.“

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ry-jones-bought-the-dallas-cowboys/ar-AAUjX48
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m telling you those championships don’t happen without the Walker or Haley trade. The 49ers would’ve dominated that decade without those trades. Not likely we would have won three Super Bowls in four years with another owner. Those championships included back-to-back Super Bowls and the team of the 90s. See how many organizations have accomplished that in their entire history. The 92 team is ranked as one of the top 10 greatest teams of all time.
You’re entitled to your opinion. But we’ll never know what kind of success we could have had without selling our souls while maintaining our respect we could have had with other ownerships.

That early success shouldn’t give Jethro a pass for life.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s been rough since 96. But I promise any fan base that isn’t the Steelers, Packers, Patriots would kill for 3 Super Bowls in that time
And no one would trade for our mess after 96.

Mannix

Reaction score
-------All the work Jimmy put in that Jerry tried to heap praises for eventually died after 96.Then reality set in for Jerry.

Jerry needs to die at 79. ***Thought bubble escape***

kskboys

Reaction score
We had the Aikman, Irvin, Walker trio and couldn’t win a game. The Walker trade was a must to build those great teams. We had to have Charles Haley to get past the 49ers. Tom Landry was stuck in the past. His formula from the 60s and 70s wasn’t working anymore.
Those super bowl teams were D teams.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Those super bowl teams were D teams.

We’ve already been through that. Those teams were known more for their offenses than their defenses. The Cowboys had some real good defenses back then but those teams were best known for the triplets and the OL. We had four Hall of Fame players on the offense. Eric Williams would’ve been a Hall of Fame player had it not been for his injury. The great wall of Dallas was arguably the greatest OL in NFL history.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
We’ve already been through that. Those teams were known more for their offenses than their defenses. The Cowboys had some real good defenses back then but those teams were best known for the triplets and the OL. We had four Hall of Fame players on the offense. Eric Williams would’ve been a Hall of Fame player had it not been for his injury. The great wall of Dallas was arguably the greatest OL in NFL history.
No, they weren't. That's hindsight. The first super bowl was advertised as BUFF's top ranked O vs our top ranked D. And D was the difference in the game. The hoopla is always about the O, which is why Eli won MVP in 07, but the super bowl was won by D. We were losing the 2nd super bowl until a couple of D plays turned the game around. In the first one, it was complete D domination. BUFF was winning 7-0. The DALL D then produced two TD's.

I think you've listened too much to Jerry who made it all about the triplets.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No, they weren't. That's hindsight. The first super bowl was advertised as BUFF's top ranked O vs our top ranked D. And D was the difference in the game. The hoopla is always about the O, which is why Eli won MVP in 07, but the super bowl was won by D. We were losing the 2nd super bowl until a couple of D plays turned the game around. In the first one, it was complete D domination. BUFF was winning 7-0. The DALL D then produced two TD's.

I think you've listened too much to Jerry who made it all about the triplets.

We’ve been through this several times not wasting my time with it anymore. Our great 90s teams were known more for their offenses than their defenses….period! The triplets/Emmitt Smith and the great wall of Dallas.

kskboys

Reaction score
We’ve been through this several times not wasting my time with it anymore. Our great 90s teams were known more for their offenses than their defenses….period!
No, they weren't. Stop listening to Jerryspew. Those were great D teams w/ awesome ball control O's.

Maybe if you're talking about the masses of fans who have no clue what's really going on.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No, they weren't. Stop listening to Jerryspew. Those were great D teams w/ awesome ball control O's.

Maybe if you're talking about the masses of fans who have no clue what's really going on.

You’re wrong! And our offenses did a lot more than just control the ball. In 92 we had six games over 30 points. In the playoffs we scored 34, 30 and 52 points. Our offense put up 45 points in that Super Bowl. Aikman had 4 TD passes. Our OL was so great they did a documentary about it.

ESisback

Reaction score
The Browns used to be in the NFL title game every year. Jags had an awesome start to their franchise in 96-02. Even Detroit has a championship pedigree if you go back far enough.

How much of the Cowboys winning the title in 1978 has any effect on the current NFL landscape? I have no doubt it helps you feel a bit better about the current shortcomings of the team, but many people didn’t even know 2019 was not KC’s first ring. The Jerry Jones era is far more relevant to right now than anything that came before

You can cherry pick anything. You can rationalize virtually anything. But what I stated are simple facts, just like water’s wet and night is dark. The Cowboys DO lead in all time head to head matchups, they DO have more playoff and Super Bowl wins, the largest fanbase, best ratings, etc., etc. Nothing you can say or do will change that, but whatever you need to retort to feel better about it or somehow validate your snark and resentment, have at it! We’ll simply roll our eyes, chuckle and turn the page.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Cowboy fans have our history to cling on to but there’s not a single fan I’ve ever spoken to in last couple decades that would trade for Jethro becoming their owner .

No other fans would want the embarrassment and hurdles his type of ownership presents this era. No one !! At least none I’ve known.
You know one honest you do

terra

Reaction score
You can cherry pick anything. You can rationalize virtually anything. But what I stated are simple facts, just like water’s wet and night is dark. The Cowboys DO lead in all time head to head matchups, they DO have more playoff and Super Bowl wins, the largest fanbase, best ratings, etc., etc. Nothing you can say or do will change that, but whatever you need to retort to feel better about it or somehow validate your snark and resentment, have at it! We’ll simply roll our eyes, chuckle and turn the page.
Jerry's PR guy right here!