The worst day in Cowboys history

ESisback

Reaction score
And I liken snarky remarks from a Dallas fan about any other fan in the league (not named Detroit or Washington) to an old man telling younger generations how everything important happened before they were born
Of course, this particular old man isn’t being snarky at Eagles.com. Also, this old man doesn’t usually START the smacktalk, especially with a fan of a team that’s on a higher plane of relevancy, and those would include any team with 8 Super Bowl appearances in a 61 year period. In closing, I find that “old” people (over 40) generally have preferable experience and perspective, although I DO appreciate youthful energy, combined with intelligence and tech savvy skills from a person that respects his elders.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
I think I have a perfect quote for this event, I hope it hasn't already been used for something else.....

"A Day that shall live forever in infamy"

Kind of profound, right?

Blackrain

Reaction score
The Browns used to be in the NFL title game every year. Jags had an awesome start to their franchise in 96-02. Even Detroit has a championship pedigree if you go back far enough.

How much of the Cowboys winning the title in 1978 has any effect on the current NFL landscape? I have no doubt it helps you feel a bit better about the current shortcomings of the team, but many people didn’t even know 2019 was not KC’s first ring. The Jerry Jones era is far more relevant to right now than anything that came before

That's in your mind some of us grew up with the cowboys of the '70s They are one of the most iconic football teams in NFL history. With many Hall of Fame players and One of the greatest coaches of all time

The eagles in comparison are the piss boys of the NFL just standing around for most of their existence waiting for the shake

Blackrain

Reaction score
Worst day in cowboy history was when Barry Switzer won the super bowl.

It validated Jerry's thoughts that anyone could coach the team and made him feel like a football guy.

It's set the stage for All the weak horrible coaches to follow along with the dysfunctional culture that we wallow in today.

It gave Jerry the confidence to think he had the skill to succeed in building a successful NFL team which he clearly does not possess

terra

Reaction score
Worst day in cowboy history was when Barry Switzer won the super bowl.

It validated Jerry's thoughts that anyone could coach the team and made him feel like a football guy.

It's set the stage for All the weak horrible coaches to follow along with the dysfunctional culture that we wallow in today.

It gave Jerry the confidence to think he had the skill to succeed in building a successful NFL team which he clearly does not possess
You might be right on that. When he blathered that bit about 500 coaches it was truly pathetic.
Though lets be honest; Barry was an incredibly successful college coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wanting only people who agree with you to post in “your” thread isn’t very realistic, but ok…
It’s always the same thing with you homers . You can’t stand the message so you attempt to shoot down the messenger.

Keep your heads up his butt for all I care. I’ll continue my assault on the worst thing to ever happen to Cowboys football. And you can continue hating on me for hating our frikin owner .

Blackrain

Reaction score
You might be right on that. When he blathered that bit about 500 coaches it was truly pathetic.
Though lets be honest; Barry was an incredibly successful college coach.
True Barry was great in his day but I think he was a bit past it at that point and was following the lines of least resistance not really feeling like keeping the discipline on the players like he should have

At least not like Jimmy would have but surviving and succeeding on a roster that Jimmy built.

Jerry undervalued coaching and Barry gave his feelings credibility in my opinion

I really feel like this lack of respect for coaching completely undermined the team for years.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Yep old Jerry is stubborn like a lot of rich guys who attempt projects that they would be much better off paying somebody with the skill and knowledge to do.

What's funny is as you watch these guys the worst they are at the task the more hell bent they become at not giving up and letting somebody more skilled finish it.

It's like because they have so much money they know they can just screw it up over and over again and because they have so much money it doesn't really ever hurt them.

So they just continue till they get it right no matter how much it costs unfortunately for Jerry he has picked a task that is so competitive with so many skilled and competent people competing with him that he will never succeed ever

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
hiring and extending garrett, better known as the players, fans life killer.
"we'd hate for him to go to another team, and them reaping the rewards of our training" looks like nobody is reaping the rewards of dak garrett.

ESisback

Reaction score
It’s always the same thing with you homers . You can’t stand the message so you attempt to shoot down the messenger.

Keep your heads up his butt for all I care. I’ll continue my assault on the worst thing to ever happen to Cowboys football. And you can continue hating on me for hating our frikin owner .
And that’s the thing with you “Realist” Eeyores—so deadly serious, like you’re the one with millions invested, like you’re the enlightened ones who can actually change things, droning ENDLESSLY about how terrible we are and how doomed we are. And anyone who thinks differently is a clueless idiot who doesn’t care, should keep quiet and go away, rinse and repeat…

Are there only two choices? Daily condemnation or head up his butt? How enlightened! Continue your “assault”. Someday MAYBE Jerry will hear some tiny snippet, chuckle for a second, then some Hooters Girl will ask for an autograph…

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And that’s the thing with you “Realist” Eeyores—so deadly serious, like you’re the one with millions invested, like you’re the enlightened ones who can actually change things, droning ENDLESSLY about how terrible we are and how doomed we are. And anyone who thinks differently is a clueless idiot who doesn’t care, should keep quiet and go away, rinse and repeat…

Are there only two choices? Daily condemnation or head up his butt? How enlightened! Continue your “assault”. Someday MAYBE Jerry will hear some tiny snippet, chuckle for a second, then some Hooters Girl will ask for an autograph…
Not everyone is as invested and to speak out relentlessly in an activist manner regardless of the actions potentially taken or impacts they make isn’t for everyone. And there’s many choices, to each their own, but bashing those who take such measures to speak out apparently is disheartening to some.

I’d never been met with such opposition to my efforts until I came on a fan forum. And it appears to be the same fans who don’t take kindly to any criticism. The fact there is still opposition to my message and remaining support of our ownership is a reminder why the efforts are still needed.

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
PlmWeAYs_400x400.jpg

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What needs to happen to send the message to this owner will never happen because people do not care enough. This 26 years can grow to 36 and nothing will change except the number. He will either die or lose whatever is left of his mind but will that change anything?

During that 26 years, this franchise has climbed in profit and value and continues to lead the TV ratings. When are people going to stop financially supporting this franchise, what has to happen? When are they going to stop watching? What is the reward for the investment of money and/or time? It must be entertainment because it sure isn't accomplishments on the field.

As fans, we are willing hostages. We hold onto something that really doesn't exist. The problem is some beat themselves up for this, accuse themselves of "buying the BS" the owner is constantly selling. Jeez, give yourselves a break. It's a game, it's not even real life to those paid to play it.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not everyone is as invested and to speak out relentlessly in an activist manner regardless of the actions potentially taken or impacts they make isn’t for everyone. And there’s many choices, to each their own, but bashing those who take such measures to speak out apparently is disheartening to some.

I’d never been met with such opposition to my efforts until I came on a fan forum. And it appears to be the same fans who don’t take kindly to any criticism. The fact there is still opposition to my message and remaining support of our ownership is a reminder why the efforts are still needed.
You're misreading the room. There's very few who are fighting w/ you. You're focusing on them. This is akin to the Dak arguments where you actually have a very few on either side who think he's either great or terrible. Same thing here. There's just a few who you argue w/ you, and you're thinking they are the majority. Take the top 5 arguers out, and there's no one who disagrees w/ you.

ESisback

Reaction score

Opposition to your message?!? What are you, a freedom fighter? Religious martyr? It’s a freakin’ football team! Get a grip! Why am I “supporting” Jerry if I’m not commemorating the “worst day in Cowboy history”?

Why so serious? I’m chuckling, Captain Righteous!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What needs to happen to send the message to this owner will never happen because people do not care enough. This 26 years can grow to 36 and nothing will change except the number. He will either die or lose whatever is left of his mind but will that change anything?

During that 26 years, this franchise has climbed in profit and value and continues to lead the TV ratings. When are people going to stop financially supporting this franchise, what has to happen? When are they going to stop watching? What is the reward for the investment of money and/or time? It must be entertainment because it sure isn't accomplishments on the field.

As fans, we are willing hostages. We hold onto something that really doesn't exist. The problem is some beat themselves up for this, accuse themselves of "buying the BS" the owner is constantly selling. Jeez, give yourselves a break. It's a game, it's not even real life to those paid to play it.
Understood but this is the life of an activist. Efforts often have little effect if any but it’s all we have. It provides some comfort we are speaking out.

And the fact there are still many supporters is a reminder there’s still some seeds to be planted.

Not everyone has the fortitude to continue such effort. That’s fine but why assault them. It’s like our efforts become worse than what we are marching on. I’ll never understand this opposition and can only see it as support for our ownership.

I’m not always passionate enough on some issues to exert the energy and effort to speak out but I don’t bash those who do. Unless I’m in support of the issues they are speaking out against.