The worst day in Cowboys history

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s amazing how many fans still support this ownership but it validates the need to provide these remembrances at least on the anniversaries so we can reflect on the impacts and effects on our history.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
aQraYNL.jpg

Feb 25th 1989 I still so vividly recall watching on WFAA local Channel 8. The day everything changed in Cowboys history.

“In the last three decades the Cowboys have returned to the top of the National Football League as the shiniest star of the bunch for marketing purposes. Early on in Jerry’s ownership, they also returned to the top of the league from a competition standpoint as they won three Super Bowls in the first seven years, but ever since then things have been tough sledding.

There is no denying the financial impact that Jerry Jones has had on the Dallas Cowboys, surrounding DFW areas, and even the NFL as a whole. He is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame as an owner. His work on issues outside of the field helped him get there, like the influence he had in returning the league to Los Angeles where the hometown Rams just won the Super Bowl. The Rams played that game in the very palace that was built for them, one that was no doubt inspired by Jerry’s luxurious AT&T Stadium.

All of that is great and notable and makes for interesting books and documentaries. Unfortunately, the thing that matters to most fans is the success of the team on the field, and everything else has started to become frustrating as the team hasn’t appeared in a conference championship game in 26 years.

Think about that. The first seven years with Jerry at the helm as owner, general manager, and president were tons of success. But in the 26 years since, 79% of Jerry’s ownership, have been frustration, drama, and some success, but more of the first two.“

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ry-jones-bought-the-dallas-cowboys/ar-AAUjX48
Not the worse day.
We won 3 super bowls after that date.
The worse day was when Jerry made the decision that
500 coaches could coach this team and split up with Jimmy.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
It’s amazing how many fans still support this ownership but it validates the need to provide these remembrances at least on the anniversaries so we can reflect on the impacts and effects on our history.
thats a heck of a run on sentence

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
There were many days which could be considered the worst day in the life of the Cowboys.

I go back to the fumble of Danny White, which made The Catch the inception of the 9ers golden days. Dallas would have murdered the Bengals in the SB. If....

Danny White could get out of the way and allow the team to win.

But, having said that, I'll p[lay your game.

The worst day in Cowboy history would be the night after the 1993 Super Bowl where Jimmy and the coaching staff snubbed Jerry when he made a toast about them winning it all.

Later that night Jerry made the "any of 500 coaches could win with this team," comment.

Jimmy also could not share the stage with anyone, thus the snub of Jerry and his troops following suit. Jimmy has a hand in this.

Jimmy walked in and quit and Jerry allowed it. Then gave him 2 million dollars to do so. This started the idea in Jerry's head that he could lead this franchise. But Jerry could not pick out a football player if you put Jerry Rice in a group of girl scouts and gave him four chances.

Jimmy was a great coach. But the real thing was Jimmy was in charge of picking the players, and in my years of watching this game, I have not seen a better player personnel man.

There is a reason why this team, is right here. And it didn't start in 1989.

ESisback

Reaction score
What’s the point in reliving and remembrance of any sad event in history.

Nothing. We should. But reliving it daily, letting it become the predominant “cause and affect” of virtually everything, kind of emulates a mission statement of some fictitious ‘Department of Redundancy Department’, ya know?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nothing. We should. But reliving it daily, letting it become the predominant “cause and affect” of virtually everything, kind of emulates a mission statement of some fictitious ‘Department of Redundancy Department’, ya know?
I certainly haven’t relived or commemorated this anniversary daily.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
aQraYNL.jpg

Feb 25th 1989 I still so vividly recall watching on WFAA local Channel 8. The day everything changed in Cowboys history.

“In the last three decades the Cowboys have returned to the top of the National Football League as the shiniest star of the bunch for marketing purposes. Early on in Jerry’s ownership, they also returned to the top of the league from a competition standpoint as they won three Super Bowls in the first seven years, but ever since then things have been tough sledding.

There is no denying the financial impact that Jerry Jones has had on the Dallas Cowboys, surrounding DFW areas, and even the NFL as a whole. He is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame as an owner. His work on issues outside of the field helped him get there, like the influence he had in returning the league to Los Angeles where the hometown Rams just won the Super Bowl. The Rams played that game in the very palace that was built for them, one that was no doubt inspired by Jerry’s luxurious AT&T Stadium.

All of that is great and notable and makes for interesting books and documentaries. Unfortunately, the thing that matters to most fans is the success of the team on the field, and everything else has started to become frustrating as the team hasn’t appeared in a conference championship game in 26 years.

Think about that. The first seven years with Jerry at the helm as owner, general manager, and president were tons of success. But in the 26 years since, 79% of Jerry’s ownership, have been frustration, drama, and some success, but more of the first two.“

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ry-jones-bought-the-dallas-cowboys/ar-AAUjX48
It was not the worst day for me.

I got hooked on Johnson's Hurricanes. It was time for Saint Tom to go.

I just figured Jones was his rich boss and former teammate. I also mistakenly thought that since Jones was so rich, he was well balanced.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It was not the worst day for me.

I got hooked on Johnson's Hurricanes. It was time for Saint Tom to go.

I just figured Jones was his rich boss and former teammate. I also mistakenly thought that since Jones was so rich, he was well balanced.
I understand and perhaps the title doesn’t fit the message from this article on the anniversary for everyone.

2-25-89 is one of those sad dates in history for me.

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
I certainly haven’t relived or commemorated this anniversary daily.

Technically, no, but I GUARANTEE that if you polled our forum colleagues, asking them to best characterize diehardblues with one short sentence, the majority would say something along the lines of “He despises Jerry above all else”!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Technically, no, but I GUARANTEE that if you polled our forum colleagues, asking them to best characterize diehardblues with one short sentence, the majority would say something along the lines of “He despises Jerry above all else”!
Of course. We all should.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
And likes to argue.:laugh:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
See, there’s your problem. You enjoy misery more than normal. I won’t let some rich ******* dictate my personal appreciation of my hobby.
But here you are in my thread instead of rolling your eyes and moving on to another thread without subjecting yourself to such misery. You do you and I’ll do me.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Sure, I’m unhappy with the last 26 years, but we’d have to go through at least another 26 years of futility (with a few 3 win seasons thrown in) to occupy the same tier as Philly. Even then I’d wager we still would have more fans and trophies.

You’d also be assuming Philly wouldn’t be having the same success it’s had the last 26. We are viewed very differently now than what we were in 89. Not long ago it was Detroit, Cleveland, AND Philly. Imagine if that quarter century repeated, or even was exceeded. You’d still have more championships and fans from your time in the 70’s, but what future does that build? We’re back to the topic of the thread again, what does the Jones empire look like over the next 26 years?

ESisback

Reaction score
You’d also be assuming Philly wouldn’t be having the same success it’s had the last 26. We are viewed very differently now than what we were in 89. Not long ago it was Detroit, Cleveland, AND Philly. Imagine if that quarter century repeated, or even was exceeded. You’d still have more championships and fans from your time in the 70’s, but what future does that build? We’re back to the topic of the thread again, what does the Jones empire look like over the next 26 years?
Hard to tell what ANYTHING will look like in 26 years. NONE of us may be here by then. But my point remains—Dallas was and is more relevant than Philly, and I liken snarky remarks about Dallas from an Eagles fan to a 600 lb. man teasing a 300 lb. man for being fat.

ESisback

Reaction score
But here you are in my thread instead of rolling your eyes and moving on to another thread without subjecting yourself to such misery. You do you and I’ll do me.
Wanting only people who agree with you to post in “your” thread isn’t very realistic, but ok…

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Hard to tell what ANYTHING will look like in 26 years. NONE of us may be here by then. But my point remains—Dallas was and is more relevant than Philly, and I liken snarky remarks about Dallas from an Eagles fan to a 600 lb. man teasing a 300 lb. man for being fat.

And I liken snarky remarks from a Dallas fan about any other fan in the league (not named Detroit or Washington) to an old man telling younger generations how everything important happened before they were born

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
aQraYNL.jpg

The worst day was when Jimmy left.