The Zeke Conundrum

Big_C_KU

Reaction score
Zeke will be in Dallas through 2022. After 2022 the dead cap goes from 23 mil to 6 mil. It also coincides with Pollard’s contract coming due. I Dallas to use Pollard more and more seeing if he would be worth re-signing. Following 2022 let Zeke goes, decide whether to re-sign Pollard at a much cheaper contract than Zeke, and draft in 2023 draft a RB in one of the early rounds. How early probably depends on how they feel about Pollard.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Do we keep Zeke for next season ( not this coming season)? If not do we make a move on Sermon in round 2? Zeke makes a ton of money. Sermon is a cheaper version of Zeke imho. It is an interesting take I think. It bears thought...

No I wouldn't spend a pick in the first couple rounds on RB. I'm fairly confident Zeke will have a bounce back year. If not then next year you could consider it. For now it's smart to pick up an RB in the mid to late rounds every couple of seasons that could compete for playing time or fill in if needed. We've found guys like Murrary and Barber there so unless you have an immediate need I think it would be a waste.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Do we keep Zeke for next season ( not this coming season)? If not do we make a move on Sermon in round 2? Zeke makes a ton of money. Sermon is a cheaper version of Zeke imho. It is an interesting take I think. It bears thought...

Elliott's salary for 2022 is already guaranteed so to try to trade or release him before the 2022 season would add 23.2 mil to the dead money If they try to trade him or release him after the 2022 season it will only put 6.7 mil on the dead money.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The answer to the first question is, let's see how he does behind the healthy OL in 2021. The answer to the 2nd question is, no. I would not use a 2nd round pick on a RB when there are so many other needs on this team. However, I would definitely consider using the 3rd round comp pick or early 4th round pick on a RB if one is available. btw, I am hoping we have preseason games this year so w can see what Rico Dowdle can do. I thought in limited plays last year he showed some things.

As an FYI, cutting Zeke after 2021 saves $1.6 million against the CAP even with $10.8 million in dead CAP money. Cutting him after 2022 saves $4.2 million. I do think they should prepare to move on from Zeke over the next 2 years.

It doesn't save any money if cut after the 2021 season because his 2022 salary is already guaranteed and then there's the bonus money still there for 2022,2023 and 2024.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Imho, our FO blundered, by giving Zeke an ill-timed contract to push Dak into signing a team-friendly deal. It didn't work. :omg:

Last edited:

ondaedg

Reaction score
Zeke got the money and security.... Fat and happy... Why push himself... Bring in a young hungry guy and I bet Zeke won't tap out...

i have never felt Zeke took the money and got lazy. He is a power back who has never shied away from contact and several of last year’s fumbles were because he initiated too much contact. And When he comes off the field it’s because he’s gassed and you can clearly see it. I’m no Zeke apologist nor do I run around defending him every chance I can - I’m just saying it like I see it.

what he needs is to keep fresh and I think we need three backs rotating with Zeke getting 50% of the snaps and the other two getting 25% each. No running back can sustain the workload he has carried over the last several years in today’s NFL. Keep him, use him, keep him fresh and reevaluate as soon as it’s economically feasible.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
We have Tony as a back up already. Doesn't make much sense to draft a back up for Tony until we get rid of Zeke.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No I wouldn't spend a pick in the first couple rounds on RB. I'm fairly confident Zeke will have a bounce back year. If not then next year you could consider it. For now it's smart to pick up an RB in the mid to late rounds every couple of seasons that could compete for playing time or fill in if needed. We've found guys like Murrary and Barber there so unless you have an immediate need I think it would be a waste.

I think some are worthy of going in the 1st. Looking at Clemson RB Travis Etienne I think this kid will be an instant success for someone.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yet in 2014 DeMarco Murray was rushing leader and Dallas goes 12-4 on the season. 2016 Zeke is the rushing leader Dallas goes 13-3, in 2018 Zeke is rushing leader Dallas goes 10-6 including win over the seahawks in post season. You can down play the run all you want but fact is be it Romo at QB or Dak at QB when the Cowboys rushing attack is clicking Dallas is winning period

You are cherry picking out two years as if it proves a larger trend. It doesn't. If you look at the entire NFL, the passing game correlates to winning more than the running game.

And let's note, the Cowboys let Murray walk because their analysis at the time showed them that TBs weren't worth it. But they panicked after the 2015 season.

And let's be clear, no one is downplaying the importance of being able to run. What people are saying is you don't have to use the 4th pick in a draft and then pay a ridiculous contract to one player to get a competent run game that can help you win.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I think some are worthy of going in the 1st. Looking at Clemson RB Travis Etienne I think this kid will be an instant success for someone.

I get a Wayne Gallman vibe from him... Personally I wouldn't touch a RB til the 3rd round... Unless your loaded already Like KC. When they got Clyde Edwards Helaire

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You are cherry picking out two years as if it proves a larger trend. It doesn't. If you look at the entire NFL, the passing game correlates to winning more than the running game.

And let's note, the Cowboys let Murray walk because their analysis at the time showed them that TBs weren't worth it. But they panicked after the 2015 season.

And let's be clear, no one is downplaying the importance of being able to run. What people are saying is you don't have to use the 4th pick in a draft and then pay a ridiculous contract to one player to get a competent run game that can help you win.

Not cherry picking a damn thing, fact when Dallas has had success running we win. I'm not trying to change your mind but it is fact this team has seen the greatest success when we have been able to run the ball. They let Murray go because of a long history dating back to OU of injuries and those injuries for the most part followed him to the Cowboys. As for when you pick a player I do so on talent and just like any position the highly talented will get drafted early. This year
Travis Etienne will be a 1st rd pick for someone and the kid has very good talent to help teams right away and in a big.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I get a Wayne Gallman vibe from him... Personally I wouldn't touch a RB til the 3rd round... Unless your loaded already Like KC. When they got Clyde Edwards Helaire

I see a kid who is great at running the ball and coming out of the backfield and played a very big part in the success of Clemson. Someone will grab him and it will be 1st and I think whomever it is will see instant success.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd trade Elliott for Bosa and not even think twice. RB is not as important as a dominant DE. Between the wear and tear on the position and how stats show a diminished importance of TBs in terms of success of an offense or overall team, it's just a mistake to be paying big bucks for a TB.

The position is too dependent on everyone around him. Even in this thread, people are trying to find excuses for Elliott's performance last year - the QB wasn't good, the OL wasn't good, etc.
I still think we outta give Zeke one more year. You think if he played for the Bucs last year he'd be "diminished". Hard to say, but I doubt it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree injury on the OL was a big factor, the fumbles I can't blame on OL. Having said that a lot of this offense goes through Zeke, he is not the highest paid guy on the team that would be Dak, DLaw and Cooper all making more yet so much of the offense goes through Zeke. For me I have less issue about the contract number but I expect players getting top pay to perform to a high level.
You should check Dak's turnover count in the same span.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
38% of the offense goes through the TB position. It doesn't have to be Zeke. You don't need to be paying a TB a crap ton of money to have a competent run game. 38% of the offense means that 62% is running through the WRs and TEs. That's a huge disparity. So you are undermining your own point here.

Teams are figuring out that they can cobble together good run games without pouring a ton of resources into the position. We now have tied up a crap ton of cap space into a TB who is nothing more than a ground and pound guy who has no explosiveness, etc.

OTHER teams have! We have Pollard and Zeke and in my opinion have never figured out how to effectively game plan a 1-2 punch. I know for at least the year before or so...the "game plan" was to put Pollard in when zeke raised his hand. That's not gonna fool the defense.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TB is arguably the least important of the positions on offense other than maybe TE and the 2nd and 3rd WRs. So much in today's NFL is about the passing game. Elliott might have been a great guy to have in the 90s like Emmitt Smith but his value is diminished in today's NFL where winning more strongly correlates to passing. Elliott isn't much of a home run threat at this point. He's a ground and pound TB. People mentioned McCaffery and Kamara (which I also think are wastes of money) but those guys are legitimate threats every time they touch the ball. They can take a hand off and go 80 yards in a blink. Elliott isn't that TB.

It's just a waste of money IMO.

I would beg to differ. DO you think Dak would have had a successful rookie season without Zeke's? I say it would have looked more like Joe Burrow's.