Video: TheFan: Report on Cowboys acquisition of Johnathan Hankins

terra

Reaction score
I think he's closer to mediocre and the end of his career, but he's still a significant upgrade over Bohanna.
Me like.
I had hopes for Bohannon; but as happens so often glowing reviews from camp turn to ashes in the regular season.

Hankins is NOT mediocre; that is what most of the DTs we have now are. He is much beteter.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hankins was a good run stopper that was deemed out of our price range or draft location earlier in his career.
He's older now and offers no pass rush threat at all so does fit our middling DT budget.

It's shocking that the mgmt staff made a move at DT however.
It's almost proactive given how good the overall defense has been.
So kudos to them and this is a big cheers for us IMO.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Says trying to trade Basham; for what ?
Another DT?
I can't imagine he is going to have much of a market. They had mentioned maybe trading Gallimore for some OL depth, maybe thats what they would look to get for Basham. A Farniok caliber player

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He got too fat a time or two in his career and didn't play nearly as well as when he was in shape.

He has been a starter until this season.

The Raiders have another 2 down run stopper veteran on the roster. Many teams only carry one of those and 3 pass rush DTs on game days.
He got alot of sacks in NY playing as a supersized 3T with Snacks next to him. That was never going to be sustainable

kskboys

Reaction score
I got you,bro.

Here he is, mic'd up. Our kind of player. Has swagger.

There's also one from the football scout, but you have to find that one since it's not able to embed here. He's not a sack guy, but he can get a few here. Mostly a run defender. Good at it too, from what I can tell so far.

He's quick, unlike Ridgeway, who had cinderblocks for feet.

Shoot, this was a steal.

Jerry must have some kind of pull with the Raiders that nobody knows about. If we got a 7th in return for a 6th, we basically just let them give us a player for free. Because you're not missing out on many players in the 6th round that you can't find in the 7th.

This is actually huge.

I haven't joined in on the Jerry hate mantra around here, because I think the Jones' are doing the right things, and truly trying to win.

They have up and coming young guys who they were going to lose if they didn't make room.

kskboys

Reaction score
30 is not old, or a least it didn't used to be. Anthony Batt and DLaw are both 30. My guess is Hankins will play first downs and short yardage situations. Maybe he gets 20 snaps depending on the game situation.
I'm going to guess more along the lines of 60% of snaps.

kskboys

Reaction score
Raiders fans seem to like. Not thrilled with him, but positive. Good sign for us.
Rather mediocre at this point, but still a big upgrade over Bohanna.
That's pretty much on target w/ what I was thinking.

Very nice rotational type player at this stage in his career. BTW, he's the guy I wanted in the draft over Esco. (RIP)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He got alot of sacks in NY playing as a supersized 3T with Snacks next to him. That was never going to be sustainable
Sacks in NY by year.

7 sacks is rare for a player built to stop the run.

The 3 sack season the one he played with Snacks.

He averaged 58% of snaps in 2021 which is only slightly below his career average of 63%.

Reactions: BAT

rags

Reaction score
If Hankins is that good, why did LA trade him?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I got you,bro.

Here he is, mic'd up. Our kind of player. Has swagger.

There's also one from the football scout, but you have to find that one since it's not able to embed here. He's not a sack guy, but he can get a few here. Mostly a run defender. Good at it too, from what I can tell so far.

He's quick, unlike Ridgeway, who had cinderblocks for feet.

Shoot, this was a steal.

Jerry must have some kind of pull with the Raiders that nobody knows about. If we got a 7th in return for a 6th, we basically just let them give us a player for free. Because you're not missing out on many players in the 6th round that you can't find in the 7th.

This is actually huge.

I haven't joined in on the Jerry hate mantra around here, because I think the Jones' are doing the right things, and truly trying to win.

I don't give Jerry credit. I just think he just signs the checks and give the Ok on things. But when it comes to football, he is as clueless as he can get.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If Hankins is that good, why did LA trade him?
I guess Adams, Hill, and lets see 60 other offseason trades that were made, those all bad players LMAO. dont ask why just see we tried to bring in some Beef for the DL..any move is better then no move

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I was watching the "Hanging with the boys" podcast last night. Big Nate Newton seems to think Hankins will play first and second downs exclusively. Gallimore was getting thrown around way too much and allowing holes for RB's to shoot through the middle. While most times, I think Nate Newton is a clown, I tend to agree with him on this.

Nate has become a clown, with his envy of Jesse Holley or whatever his beef is with him. It's actually kind of sad to see him stoop to those levels. But that was his MO back in college, from what I recall.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hankins was a good run stopper that was deemed out of our price range or draft location earlier in his career.
He's older now and offers no pass rush threat at all so does fit our middling DT budget.

It's shocking that the mgmt staff made a move at DT however.
It's almost proactive given how good the overall defense has been.
So kudos to them and this is a big cheers for us IMO.
What's more, it tells us they may have learned to value the position, so maybe they'll put a bigger premium on it in the future.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I think what's important, are the Raiders are 8th in the league in rushing yards allowed per game at 104 yards per game (on a 2-4 this isn't bad). They are 7th in the league in yards per carry, allowing 4.1 yards per carry.

I don't know how much he was the catalyst of this, but he's probably better at stopping the run then anything we have.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
What's more, it tells us they may have learned to value the position, so maybe they'll put a bigger premium on it in the future.
I'm not going crazy with it, lol.
But I do think it shows they feel this team is a contender and they are willing to burn some draft capital to boost it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That's pretty much on target w/ what I was thinking.

Very nice rotational type player at this stage in his career. BTW, he's the guy I wanted in the draft over Esco. (RIP)

Even at the end of his career, much more useful than Escobar ever was.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I had hopes for Bohannon; but as happens so often glowing reviews from camp turn to ashes in the regular season.

Hankins is NOT mediocre; that is what most of the DTs we have now are. He is much beteter.

I'd put Bohanna at significantly less than mediocre. He's just a poor player.
Remember the glowing reviews for Gallimore? At least twice the glow than Bohanna. Now he's struggling to make it to mediocre.
I don't think we have a single starting quality DT, and that includes Hankins, but he's the best we've got.
What I've been saying for years. DT is the low hanging fruit to improve the team. Probably still is after adding Hankins.
Think he still gives us something in terms of pushing the pocket? That would make our ends even more effective.